Fallout 4

As I've said before, Star Wars is as far into the fantasy side of the SF/Fantasy spectrum that I go. SW is definitely more fantasy than Fallout 4. Fallout 4's pretty normal as far as 'soft' sci fi goes - especially in video games. At least they attempt to invoke scientific explanations for stuff.

Star Wars is space opera - it shouldn't even begin to be taken as sci-fi. :)

Space Opera is a Sci-Fi subgenre.
Star Wars is a fairy tale.

I started a new, heavily-modded "Survival mode" game over the weekend.

- A quick-save mod for Survival Mode. I like the more dangerous world, and I don't care about fast travel, but only being to save my games by sleeping in a bed is just irritating.

- A realistic gun-sounds mod. Boy, guns are loud. Every time I get into a gunfight outdoors, I worry that I'll be attracting ghouls and mutants from miles around. I guess the ambient gunfire is common enough that nobody cares.

- A "louder weather" mod, that turns up the visual and audio volume on rain and radstorms. Rain really comes down now, which is great. It's pretty wimpy in the vanilla game. Unfortunately, radstorms don't seem to add any environmental radiation. Still no reason to have a gas mask, except for aesthetics.

- A "darker nights" mod. Based on the screenshots, I selected the middle setting, but nights are still pretty bright, like a full moon on a cloudless night. I may reinstall that one and select darkity-dark and see what happens.

- A mod that adds accessible interiors to all of those boarded-up buildings in downtown Boston. I haven't reached Downtown yet, so I can't comment on this one yet.

- Also a mod that jazzes up (pun intended) The Third Rail. I haven't gotten down there yet, so I don't how good it is. I saw another mod by the same author that made Goodneighbor busier, adding NPCs and more vendors and increasing the general level of activity. I wasn't in love with the screenshots, though, so I haven't downloaded it yet, but I do like the idea. All of the Commonwealths communities are pretty dead. I've been looking for one that makes Diamond City better, but no luck so far.

- A mod that adds the subway tunnels and stations (a.k.a. the metro or the tube, to you Europeans). I went down into Concord Station and got into fights with some Raiders that were squatting there. There wasn't much that added to the lore or the story, but I like having more space to explore and bad guys to shoot.

- A mod that makes a bunch of stuff from the game-world available for settlements, such as those military-checkpoint security walls like you see in front of the Cambridge police station. It also lets you build Institute walls and fixtures, and choose whether to unlock those after you meet the Institute or right at the beginning. I can see myself turning Vault 88 into an Institute outpost.

- A mod that lets you patch up Sanctuary's houses. I'm not sure why, but it didn't fix the gaping holes in the roofs. It was easy to find a separate mod that did the roofs, though.

- A mod that lets you scrap all the piles of debris and weeds and stuff that clutter settlements. A second mod lets you scrap corpses from your Settlements.

- A mod that improves the variety of Settlers that arrive at your Settlements. Small percentages of them will arrive with superior equipment. The mod also makes non-named Settlers killable, so your Settlements will actually take casualties during raids.

- A mod that vastly improves the durability of Vertibirds and makes them all 50th level, but simultaneously lowers their behavioral threshold for retreating. The Pridwyn hasn't arrived in the Commonwealth yet, so I haven't seen any Vertibirds, but I was always annoyed that they were shot down so easily.

- A graphical mod that enhances the visuals and another that adds "a touch of green" to the scenery. The colors are maybe a little over-bright, a little over-saturated, but I like the idea. The Commonwealth is too drab for me, in the vanilla game.

I haven't had any real obvious issues from the mods yet, although I was at Thicket Excavations last night and there were some serious graphical problems with the granite walls. None of the mods I'm using specifically relate to the quarry or to stone walls, but who knows..?

I really want a mod that dramatically reduces the number of bullets, stimpacks and bobby pins in the world. I'm 7th level and have barely begun to explore and I'm already drowning in stuff. Over 300 rounds of .38, more than 2 dozen bobby pins and 15-20 Stimpacks. Ridiculous. I want that cut by, like, two-thirds.

Of course, none of these mods corrects the game's story flaws, but maybe someone is still working on a big mamma-jamma, like the giant mods people have done for Skyrim.

Just use full auto guns all the time always and forever, you'll fix the ammo problem.

Since we're talking about mods I'd like one that fixes the absolutely inane differences between guns and calibers and auto/semi damage dealt, but they all seem to have their own issues. So I just cheated a couple of levels and gave myself automatic rifleman perks to bump automatic damage to normal damage rate. As only makes sense.

Just use full auto guns all the time always and forever, you'll fix the ammo problem.
It doesn't, unfortunately. In my first play-through I used full auto almost exclusively for the second half of the game or so (a sniper rifle was the one exception). In this new game, I'm already using a full-auto pipe pistol and I'm still coming out of clearing locations with a net gain in .38 rounds. If I understand correctly, Survival Mode increases the base damage of everything - for the player and adversaries alike - but it doesn't appear to reduce the amount of ammo in the world (or, at least, not enough).

Since we're talking about mods I'd like one that fixes the absolutely inane differences between guns and calibers and auto/semi damage dealt, but they all seem to have their own issues. So I just cheated a couple of levels and gave myself automatic rifleman perks to bump automatic damage to normal damage rate. As only makes sense.
I'll keep an eye out. I've definitely seen mods related to the damage model, but I don't remember seeing one that fixes damages by caliber and removes the damage penalty for rate of fire.

The Frost mod fixes damage by caliber and then changes the gun perks to improve accuracy instead of damage and range (it also dramatically cuts your base accuracy). That's a "total conversion" mod, though, and I don't know if you can pluck its components for use in a regular game. I was happy to find a mod that added the subway stations and tunnels to the base game, because that was one of my favorite parts of Frost.

Another mod I spotted but didn't have the stones to download: Feral ghoul hordes. Presumably someone inspired by zombie movies or certain episodes of The Walking Dead. I assume most of the time you just go around them, but they could be a fun/bloody test of your settlement defenses.

How do y'all go about power armour?

I have like 7 power armour sets in sanctuary hills, and the better part of 100 fusion cores, but early on I wanted to conserve cores, so I rarely used power armour, and that eventually became never.

Same thing with fat mans (men), I suppose. Every once in a while I'd like to fire one, but those instances are so few and far between, and the launcher is so heavy that I just never use it (same with missiles, tbh)

Once you get enough fusion cores, presumably there should be little reason not to be in power armour, unless you're a stealth character or at home.

I faff about alot, I'm still a bit afraid of running out

and also I've sort of worked out a decent way of playing without it, you know? Like early game I got destroyed by super mutants, so I figured to use power armour, but now they're only slightly more difficult than standard enemies

And it's all a shame because I've got power armour with jetpacks and flying around is super rad

My first character never really used power armour either, but then I guess it's just a matter of taste.

Once you get enough fusion cores, presumably there should be little reason not to be in power armour, unless you're a stealth character or at home.
Yeah, in my first play-through, I almost never took off my power armor past a certain point. The only reason I stopped putting my companion in power armor all the time too was that they don't make any effort to avoid taking damage and power armor is ablative; having to constantly repair my companion's suit was tedious.

I continued my 2nd play-through over the weekend. I continue to be amazed at how big the game is, as I'm still finding things I missed the first time around.

This time I decided to make Hangman's Alley my primary headquarters, instead of Sanctuary. After obliterating everything there except the fences at either end of the Alley, I was able to squeeze two, 3-story buildings with a very narrow 'street' between them. I put one of the small guard posts on the top of one building so that it looks right over the top of the fence, onto the street. I'm waiting to see if my guards take potshots at passing bad guys. I also put a ladder from the roof deck onto the fire escape, so I can exit up over the rooftops if I want to. One of my mods also provides greenhouse tables and planters for food, so I made one of the roof decks into my farm. Once I can build vendors I'll make that my restaurant.

I needed the wood from Sanctuary for building the Alley, but without any settlers there, I used Codsworth as a supply line. At one point, I heard a bunch of gunfire right outside my gate. Codsworth and his brahmin were standing there amid the smoking bodies of 3 Super-Mutants. Codsworth is kind of a bad mamma-jamma.

Later, I heard another, massive gunfight coming from the other side. It was over by the time I got there, and I found 4 dead Super-Mutants, 2 dead mutant dogs, 3 dead Raiders and 3 dead Diamond City Security guards.

I installed "Hangman's Alley Interior Apartments" and "Basement Living" last night, and I think I may have overdone it. :lol: The new space opened up by "Interior Apartments" is huuuuuge. Hangman's Alley is Hangman City now. The central area you get in the default game can just be a little park or something, I dunno.

With the Conquest Mod, I think I may put down an outpost opposite the Drumlin Diner (south of Lexington, north of Cambridge). There's a crossroads there, and while I don't know if AI critters actually follow roads, it seems like every time I walk past the Diner there's another couple of Raiders shooting the place up. So I might plop down a settlement with a good number of guard posts and guns. Plus, it looks like there's a lot of wood to harvest there.

I need to figure out what route my Provisioner (Codsworth, at the moment) is taking from Sanctuary Hills to Hangman's Alley.

I saw another mod that lets you have any number of companions. I imagine that could upset the game's balance, so I haven't used it, but I know that some companions have a little dialogue where they can interact with each other. Might be fun. Might be annoying. Might not do anything at all.

In my continuing effort to make the game more challenging, I've turned off the crosshairs (I should've done that a long time ago) and I pretend I'm actually using magazines for my guns (that is, I only reload when the gun is fully empty - I don't "top off" between firefights).

I followed the subway from Diamond City the other night and accidentally wound up down in Mass Bay Medical Center (okay, whoever made this mod doesn't know the real Boston subway system...) and accidentally got in among some SuperMutants. When I heard the telltale beep-beep-beep I took to my heels, but Preston was too slow and got nuked. Wanting to roleplay, I didn't just want to wait for him to respawn at one of my settlements, so I had to figure out how to get back in there to give him a stimpack. That burned a lot of my ammo stockpile.

How do y'all go about power armour?

I have like 7 power armour sets in sanctuary hills, and the better part of 100 fusion cores, but early on I wanted to conserve cores, so I rarely used power armour, and that eventually became never.

Same thing with fat mans (men), I suppose. Every once in a while I'd like to fire one, but those instances are so few and far between, and the launcher is so heavy that I just never use it (same with missiles, tbh)
Pretty much this. I built a complex at Sanctuary Hills that houses 10+ suits. Two of them are complete sets of the best kind (I can't remember the models).

Now I use it all the time but for a while in the early/mid-game I never used them. For Faboys, I use them occasionally (I have the one that is MIRV equipped with 2x the base MIRV count) for lulz but that's about it.

I bought my copy for the PS4 in part because Bethesda said they were working with Sony to implement mods. Sony nixed that and I'm a bit jaded. Still an awesome game though

Reading this thread makes me want to retake it where i left. I will wait for the VR version though, it is coming for the HTC Vive in few months apparently.

Top Bottom