Famous fat people in history

Gustavus II Adolphus. It a famous line in one of the defining Swedish national histories, about the king in time becoming "reasonably fat". But then again, it was the 17th c. so fat was the thing to be. King Charles X on Sweden was a hefty guy as well:)
So what was the baby called?

I find this hilarious, because he is so remembered for the incredible mobility of his army on the battlefield.

Maybe during his campaign in Germany.

During his campaign in Polish Pomerania he was remembered for the incredible non-mobility & constantly hiding his army behind fortifications - be it field fortifications in difficult terrain or castles. Polish commanders could not provoke him to fight a face-to-face battle in the field, while at the same time not having enough infantry and artillery to flush out his garrisons from castles which he captured by surprise early in this war. Practically the only time when he came out of his shell was at Trzciana, where he lost the battle and almost lost his life, but managed to hide his infantry back behind field fortifications, avoiding total defeat.

He was "fat" by his day's standards, but considering the diet he lived on, it's more likely he was naturally tall with a wide girth rather than overweight.

I remember reading somewhere that Thomas Aquinas was so fat by the end of his life to have required a circular-cut desk to work at.

i even heard he was confined to his chamber in some tower at the end of his life, since he wouldnt fit the stairs anymore.

more probably he was simply unable to walk down the stairs anymore due to frailty. or it's completely made up.

So this is Aquinas' northern brother?

Exaggeration aside, that is what I meant, yes. He was compared to an ox.

If you're interested in this subject, you should read G.K. Chesterton's biography of Thomas Aquinas. It's riddled with fat jokes, since both the author and the subject were considered to be obese by their day's standards.

The story about the semi-circle being cut out of Aquinas' desk is actually a reference to the table in the refectory, I believe, rather than the desk at which he worked. Whether it's actually true or not is uncertain - it was told by his students, but whether that means it's more likely to be true or less, I'm not sure. At any rate he certainly had a reputation at the time for being more than a little porky.

I haven't heard that Aquinas was confined to a tower at the end of his life (he was certainly confined to one as a young man, by his family, who didn't approve of his desire to join the Dominicans). It seems unlikely to me. He was still active, travelling around, and performing services at the time. In fact he was travelling by donkey to the second council of Lyon when he died. (I assume this puts some kind of limit on how enormous he could have been.) If he was confined I doubt it was for frailty, given that he was only 49 when he died.

Pelagius is another theologian who was apparently very well built, and like Aquinas, considered slow in movement and speech. Jerome attributed these features to his having eaten too much porridge.

On Chesterton, there's a famous Wodehouse line where he describes a noise as sounding like G.K. Chesterton falling onto a sheet of tin, which if you've seen a picture of Chesterton, is pretty descriptive. I don't know about Aquinas, but Chesterton was certainly obese by our standards too.

Helmut Kohl.

Top Bottom