Famous fat people in history

Yang Guifei, consort of Ming Huang, wasn't exactly fat, but she was known for being overweight and brought it into vogue briefly in the Tang Dynasty IIRC.

BMI is a bad measure, Like Sylvester Stallon is obese
For most of us who aren't bodybuilders or have odd body shapes, BMI isn't the worst measurement.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Charles the Fat was likely a little overweight.

If we include non-political figures we'll be here all year listing them.

Sancho the Fat of Leon.

He lost his throne because of his weight. He later regained his throne because he shed some pounds.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Charles the Fat was likely a little overweight.

You know how Himmler thought he was a reincarnation of Heinrich I von Ostfrankenreiches? I wonder if he also thought that Göring was therefore a reincarnation of Karl III "the Fat", but didn't say anything about it.

Winfield Scott, one of America's greatest generals, is somebody who had to cope with political gibes about his corpulence. One of his soldiers may have been the first to say "Great Scott !"

I'm not sure he was fat during the Mexican War, but I think he was by 1861.

apparently he was in the 1840s - but it was exaggerated by his political enemies in reference to some official dispatches, especially the one about a "fire in his rear while he met a fire in front of the Mexicans" that made him the 'butt' of cartoons and folk-songs.

Boleslaw Chrobry, one of the most celebre polish rulers (he conquered Lusatia up to Elbe river; Bohemia, Moravia, Slovakia, and also captured Kiev etc) was fat, apparently. You can not seen it on the - much later - images of his, but I recall part of a chronicle that mentioned that while a polish army was on one side of a river, and the ruthenian on another, one Ruthenian used to mock Boleslaw for being fat. Boleslaw got angry and suddenly made a charge through the river, followed by his soldiers, and won the battle. So he probably was heavy.

August III, the king of Poland, g-d of Lithuania and elector of Saxony, was very fat and he has a sobriquet of "Otyly" - "the Overweight" in some polish history books.

Wladyslaw Waza, king of Poland, gd of Lithuania, was quite heavy as well.

Louis XVIII, a king of France, was considered very fat as well. Due to his weight and gout, he had to be carried in a wheelchair, which people mocked calling him Roi-Foteille (Armchair King, while Louis XIV was called Roi-Soleil, Sun King).

Not very famous, but one of the four Roman emperors in The Year of The Four Emperors, Vitellius was apparently quite large.

(Although it's not 100% certain if this bust is Vitellius, but has long been assumed so).

As he got older Subedei, the great Mongol general became too obese to ride a horse and had to hauled around in an iron chariot.

Top Bottom