1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Far Horizons: Past, Present, Future

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Sword_Of_Geddon, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

The files are smaller with WinRar, much better for uploading and downloading.. :goodjob:

The expansion patch is progressing nicely btw. The New civs so far include:

-Maphuche
    -Iroquois
    -Sioux
    -Haida
    -Siam

any suggestions?

2. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

I'm enjoying Far Horizons so far, but noticed that there's no buildings-large or buildings-small files. Petra shows the name in the build queue, but no cityscreen icon. The civilopedia icons are there though.

I'm playing as the Khmer, and really appreciating Rita Poon's work on that leaderhead :) .

3. PriestOfDiscord

PriestOfDiscord (Not MobBoss)

I'm definately going to download this. An epic game mod with a future era can't be bad. I'll give my impressions soon. :D

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

I didn't have Paintshop Pro when I uploaded the mod. Petra, Hagia Sophia, The Kremlin, the Taj Mahal, the World Trade Center, Conquest of Mars, and Weather Control Machine all lack buildings-small and large files. This will be corrected for the expansion. I'm also going to include more Wonders and a couple of new city improvements in the expansion, most likely some Mesoamerican, African and Asian Wonders, and I think the Future Era is incomplete without a few futuristic improvements...

5. PriestOfDiscord

Impressions from playing so far(at the end of the middle ages playing as the Israelis) and from looking through the Civilopedia. Sorry if some of these things have been repeated earlier in this thread. :o

-First, there are a few civilopedia glitches that really don't effect life much at all. Hyperlink overflow occurs in a few places, the Merkava Israeli MBT civilopedia graphic is screwed up somehow so that it is a lot bigger than it should be, and there is the minor grammar/spelling messup here and there. All pretty minor things, but I'd figure I'd mention them here. BTW, I really like some of your descriptions for the later units and techs. I anxiously await our technocratic machine gods. :D

-Not that I'm complaining about lots of money, but for some reason I noticed that I started collecting interest(like Wall Street gives) sometime in the early ancient era. I have no clue what started that, and my only guess was from one of the wonders I had at that point which were Petra and the Pyramids. The civilopedia doesn't mention what it could be.

-Perhaps someone actually from Brazil would make a better agrument for/completely disagree with me, but I understand the modern capital of Brasilia is a fairly new city in that nations history. I'm not sure it should be the civ's very first city and capital.

-Why would anyone in their right mind choose globalism as their government? It has horrible, horrible stats in peace and war time. I see a place for the other new governments but not for this one. Also, it might be a good idea to give govt-specific structures for a few of them to futher give them a special flavor.

-I really like some of the new unit paths you have made, but in particular I love the defensive tower units. The arrow towers already saved my ass in a early war with Brazil. In general, some of the new units you added are very cool including the industrial legions and the early mech from Robocop. And space battleships...drool.
    The only messup I noticed offhand was that the modern age turret doesn't upgrade to the laser turret in the future era.

-I think you mentioned earlier that you realize this, but there isn't a whole lot of buildings in the future age. In fact, only the Conquest of Mars and the Weather Control Center(btw, I'm really can't wait to get that. What a cool idea) are the only improvements I noticed.

Overall, I'm really enjoying all the flavor you put into this. It's been a lot of fun overall. I can't wait to see what the expansion adds.

6. Sword_Of_Geddon

Thankyou Priest! Thats what I've been hoping for in a post for awile now. Lets see If I can answer your questions..

-Yes, the Merkava had its Civilipedia Large and small reversed, I fixed that, as for grammical errors, I type pretty fast at times...sorry. The Globalism government was my attempt at showing what to much outsourcing does to a countrie's economy..I have to get rid of that government, its more of a business tech than anything. I also am going to ax Militarism as a government type, as Fundamentalism and it are far to similiar. The future techs and units obvious had no background history and such...so I made them up as I went along, many of that work will actually be used for my Colony Wars scenerio later... :goodjob:

Petra gives the interest ability to your civ. I've found that whoever builds that wonder becomes a strong economic power early in the game, do you think its alittle unbalanced?

I chatted with people over Brazil's capital, there might be a better choice, Ill remember that for later..

The Turret should upgrade...I'll have to check that out..

-Some previews for you..

1. One of the new buildings will be a Spaceport, I'm not sure what it will do so far though

2. Malaysia will also be in the expansion

3. A new Imperial Era unit, Continental Marines, will be included with the discovery of Naval Tactics(the same tech that lets you build Ships of the Line)

4. New flavor units like the Egyptian and Native American lines

5. Genetic Enginneering Tech will allow the creation of Mutant units...each civ will have their own "Monster"....hehe..

7. PriestOfDiscord

I think Petra might be a bit too much. I didn't see it as being unbalanced when I got it, but then I started out pretty small because I was boxed in early by the Brazilians and English so being able to buy my way back into tech parity (espically with getting the upper hand in military superiority) saved me at the start. Had it gone to a bigger power I could see it being quickly overpowering though. Honestly I'm kind of split on that.

"3. A new Imperial Era unit, Continental Marines, will be included with the discovery of Naval Tactics(the same tech that lets you build Ships of the Line)"
    Fantastic, I've always thought an earlier amphib unit would be helpful for whenever a civ manages to grab those hateful small islands that short of nuking are hard to dislodge an adversary from.

"5. Genetic Enginneering Tech will allow the creation of Mutant units...each civ will have their own "Monster"....hehe."
    Ahahahaha, that will be awesome.

8. Sword_Of_Geddon

I'm also attempting to balance things out, some units(like the Templar) are overly powerful. Did you see my sig yet? :mischief:

9. cyberstrong

cyberstrong Chieftain

what about the next version of this mod? been waiting like crazy for this one. I havn´t been able to play it since i never understood how to fix the unit errors in the latest era.

10. Sword_Of_Geddon

So far, I've corrected the Longbow Apache, Rafale and F22 Raptor errors. I pressume that the sound files are linked incorrectly in the unit's ini files, therefore, it should be simple to correct the remaining modern-era errors, then its on to the future era...

11. Balam

Balam Sacrificial Victim

Thanks SoG for this mod--can't wait to play it once the corrections are finished!

12. Sword_Of_Geddon

Your quite welcome Balam. I do this "For the People" as they say.

13. cyberstrong

cyberstrong Chieftain

feels like I´ve been waiting for ages now for the next version of this mod. what about the progress, is it near completion? would really appreciate some information, since this is my favourite mod. I even like this one more than Rise and rule. Both mods are great but in Rise and rule I´ve had to change the cost of discoveries and I think there are to many city improvements in Rise and rule.

keep up the goodwork on this one ;)

14. Sword_Of_Geddon

Thankyou Cyberstrong, thats the nicest thing anyone has said about my work I think.

Just an update my friend...

-There will be no new version, or patch, but an entirely new Mod, a sequel if you will

-Far Horizons: Heart of Destiny will have NO bugs, and even more of what makes Far Horizons great

-I tried to further diversify the Civs, with the addition of Malaysia and Siam, there is now a full South Asian Culture group, plus I've also added the Iroquois, Sioux and Haida into the game.

-lots more new units.

15. junkman007

junkman007 Chieftain

Looks like a great mod and all, but I'm having a few problems getting it to run. I need a little help. I put the new civilizations into a map, but when I go to load the scenerio, I get this error message.

File not found
    "#"

The game will now exit.

What do I do to fix this?

Thanks,
    Junkman007

16. Sword_Of_Geddon

Which version are you using?

Did you install everything correctly?

17. Xink

Xink King

Your mod certainly does seem to be very impressive but I have read that you intend to release a new version rather than patch or "repair" any issues that remain in this one, so....

How long do you reckon it would be before you would complete this new one as I, and many others without doubt, would be most eager to try it out..?

I am holding back on downloading it as I do enjoy the more modern era of the gameplay.

Best of luck to you with your development :)

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Thankyou. Well, I'm working on that as we speak. I'm also waiting for Crazyhorse(R8XFT's up-in-coming leaderhead) and a Pueblo and Mississippian Leader, to further round off America. I'll probably realease a number of Biqs after the generic one, included will be a European Biq(With European Civs only), an Asian Biq(With Asian Civs only), a New World Biq(With Native Americans and Pre-Columbian Empires Only), and perhaps a Australia-Oceania Biq(With Australia, the Koori, and Polynesian Civs only).

19. tjedge1

tjedge1 Writer of writerly things

Don't forget the Aborigini's(Spelling?) in Australia. :)

20. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

This looks great, I've downloaded it and done everything BUT when I start it up the game exits due to pediaicons for the Hagia Sophia. Any help?