Favorite nearest neighbour.

muxec

Prince
Hey. Who is your favorite nearest neighbor? I love starting near Ramses, even on Emperor his capitol typically has more wonders, than defenders.

I'd have to say that depends.

Usually, I play as Saladin or Bismark, and they start in temperate areas. If there's a jungle close to me, I LOVE having Gandhi or Ash nearby. They both found a religion early, and you can convert to it quickly, getting the diplo points. They are relatively easy traders, and once Gandhi even offered me a tech :eek:.

The jungle isn't the best place for a city, so your borders won't spark any conflict anytime soon.

If there is no natural barrier, then I like Mansa Musa and Victoria... they both rarely have an adequate army, and are easy to take over.

On another note, worst neighbor to have nearby is hands down Monty. He is an aggressive SOB, and will DOW even if he is pleased with you. He gets religion early, so either you convert to it, essentially empowering him more and more, or get crushed. the ******* seems to spend the entire game building military units: once I was faced with an army of 89 jaguars, 24 axemen, 23 catapults, 19 horse archers, and 12 spearmen :cry:. In 600 BC. Even though I already had longbows and had walls and Chichen Itza AND great cultural defense, my life sucked for a while. If you get Monty as a neighbor, I would reload the game and hope for someone else.

I actually love having Monty as a close neighbor. It means I know exactly how to deal with him, and I am practically guaranteed to get myself one of the early religions.

Step 1: Find a hill between you and him.

Step 2: Found a city on that hill. Important subnote: This city *must* clearly be your closest city to him. If you think to yourself: Man, this city is awfully exposed sitting way out there past my empire, then it's probably in the right place.

Step 3: Stuff that city full of archers/longbows (if he takes too long to DOW, which he won't) and build city walls. 1 Archer per 3 jaguars probably makes the city safe.

Step 4: Deny him every time he asks or demands something until he finally DOWs you.

Step 5: Watch him waste his entire army trying to kill your city, while you send your army past his attackers and blow away his cities.

Step 6: Enjoy your newly taken over religion and extra land. :)

-Sinc

Gandhi or any non-AGG/PRO 20 unitprob guy.

Leaders with high peaceweights are good too because warmongers will pick them as worst enemies very early and target them, allowing you time to adjust or to dogpile vs either.

Saladin has to be my favorite. He's usually fanaticy enough to found something, and maybe I've just had good luck, but he never seems to build many defenders. He also seems to usually be hated...which is just another bonus.

Hi

My fave neighbors are dead neighbors who cities now belong to me hehe :p

Kaytie

I like HC or Ramses, they build a lot of wonders for you.. and when you're at war, they continue to build wonders for you!

Gandhi/Asoka. Hatty is also nice, but her creative trait can be annoying at start, but you can always rush her. Always an easy prey.
I'm not good with warmonger next to me, they always pick on me and when I don't rush anyone I usually have a lousy military early on which ofcourse is plain stupid if Shaka is my neighbour....

I love having HC next to me because then i always can rush him and dont have to worry about him being on another continent and becoming a monster!!!

Monty is lame. Yeah he declares a lot, but if you can hold out the first war (most of the time I seem to be able to take cities) he stays backwards for so long. I find that when Monty ISN'T and early neighbor he becomes dangerous, not when he's close because he is quite capable in AIvAI war.

Mansa Musa if I want some peace. He can be a PITA if you want to war though. Early on because of skirmishers and the fact he techs so well his units are always top notch.

Ghandi for war. He's just so puny.

Monty is lame. Yeah he declares a lot, but if you can hold out the first war (most of the time I seem to be able to take cities) he stays backwards for so long. I find that when Monty ISN'T and early neighbor he becomes dangerous, not when he's close because he is quite capable in AIvAI war.

Mansa Musa if I want some peace. He can be a PITA if you want to war though. Early on because of skirmishers and the fact he techs so well his units are always top notch.

Ghandi for war. He's just so puny.

I've yet to meet a Monty that also did well in AIvsAI wars. Usually he messes everything up he does. Shaka and Ragnar I find a lot more dangerous. If they manage to 'win' their first war they become very dangerous and tend to go on a chain capitulation roll.

So Gandhi.

Surprised to see this. In my games he usually builds more units than Ramses, also he does not shrine holy cities before the rush. :) Isabella can spam military late game, but early on she is often in missionary-only mode.

In my latest game on Emperor I sword-rushed Ramses and built early TGW and mids. :) I took shrined capital and offered a caesfire to let him build more wonders.

Isabella:
Delays bronze working for religious techs
Expands slowly
Founds a religion

Ramses:
Loves to build wonders
Often founds religion
Expands slowly

I'll tell you what my least favorite is... Joao II! He has like 4 cities by the time you can get two! He will cramp you in! Plus, he has alot of unit build!

And besides favouring military he also favours science. Together with his extreme rex he can be quite an powerhouse, but he doesn't attack that often in my games. He usually is able to steamroll lots of civs, but he just sits there with his pretty big updated army while other civs start to eliminate other civs and outgrow him.

But this is off-topic :)

Joao tends to build a lot of lightly defended cities early and is a good candidate for an axe rush. If you leave him too long he becomes powerful quickly, but he's generally easy meat in the beginning of the game.

Top Bottom