Featured Game 2 Pre-Discussion

Keshiks are undeniably the best UU in the game, but Haruun debatably has one of the best traits in the game. Bazaars are also very powerful. Haruun has ranked #2 on each Favorite Leader poll over the past half year, so I focus efforts on other things. :)

This will be my first game using vem. I decided to try it because of the let's play by esoes. I have won dom. games with harun at immortal level in the vanilla game so I have an idea of how to play him, but I'm sure vem is different.

All I have really done with vem is messed around on immortal level up to renaissance era and have not really fought any wars so I might have a few problems.

From what I have seen on the let's play, the ai is a little better at combat in vem and the vanguard units are interesting. I do have some questions though.

In general is conquest significantly harder in vem?

Each civs territory only gets 5 horses right?

Harun's units move through desert faster right?

Why do I have to disable the dlc? Aren't all the other ais assigned already?

What version of the vem do I use? And what if there are updates while I am playing?

Thanks for the answers in advance and any other tips to newbies is appreciated.

Each player's territory has 4 horses and 5 iron, for a total of 9 strategic resource units. Militaristic citystates can commonly offer more if you need them. The main thing about VEM warfare is combined arms... a mix of units (like listed below) is more powerful than horses alone. In vanilla we could spam 1 unit type and win.

I'd highly recommend reading the Starting Strategies/Openers thread. :goodjob: I've copied part of the thread below:

Spoiler Not really a spoiler, just general strategy :
My classical-era army composition is usually something like:
  • 3 swordsmen
  • 2 catapults
  • 2 chariots
  • 1 horsemen
  • 3 archers
  • 2 spearmen
  • 2 scouts

~15 units total

Any more units and the map usually gets overcrowded. Combined arms is the way to go - it's more powerful and strategically challenging than spamming one or two unit types. In a conquest game my initial build order is scout/scout/worker or scout/scout/warrior. Scouts are great Medics in this mod since they're stronger, cheap, and can upgrade to the useful Levies. I try to get at least one scout to the Medic promotion from fighting barbarians. I also have 1 scout garrisoned in every city for Military Caste and fending off barbarians.

I then add archers and spears to capture the first city:

• 3 archers
  • 2 spearmen
  • 2 scouts

The 2nd city captured usually has walls:

• 2 catapults
  • 3 archers
  • 2 spearmen
  • 2 scouts

After that I add the strategic units for early-medieval warfare:

• 3 swordsmen
  • 2 chariots
  • 1 horsemen
  • 2 catapults
  • 3 archers
  • 2 spearmen
  • 2 scouts

Once ready to upgrade to medieval units at least three or four cities are conquered. I often stop a while at this point to let happiness catch up. As you can see, we can build lots of units in a combined-arms force, with strategic units as the core elite of our army. This army only requires 3 horses and 3 iron, which is a portion of the resources available in our territory (4 horses and 5 iron).

Conquest is more complex than vanilla, and possibly harder, though I haven't played vanilla in a while so I can't say for sure. Haruun's units do move faster in desert.

Civ usually crashes if you attempt to load a savefile on a different version of Civ than the game was saved on. Vanilla, mods, and DLCs are all part of what the "version" of Civ is. The mod versions to use and instructions on how to play the game are included in the download. Only use those versions provided in the download, or Civ would crash.

Top Bottom