Featured Game 2 Pre-Discussion

In case it's not obvious from Thal's reply, this sort of error -clicking the wrong thing by mistake - is not a problem in general.

Wish I had known that last game - I gave away a luxury and a bunch of strategic resources to Harun by accident!:lol: needless to say he was my friend for the rest of the game.

Thanks Thal. I understand that this suppose to be for fun, but I also know some people will still try and cheat.

I do have another question, being new at these GotM games, I noticed in OP that this game is listed as Domination. Does that mean that is the only victory condition to win the game with??

Thanks Thal. I understand that this suppose to be for fun, but I also know some people will still try and cheat.

I do have another question, being new at these GotM games, I noticed in OP that this game is listed as Domination. Does that mean that is the only victory condition to win the game with??

That's right.

Back again after a break- too much work to do, and was having a ponder if I was wasting too much time playing ciV. But I am very grateful that the GOTM has gotten off the ground and was watching other players' experiences with interest. I've decided playing just the GOTM and taking my time to stop and think about things is the best way to still enjoy the game without it chewing up too much time.

Looking at the Arabia domination game (a great variation to pick given no-one went for domination in the last round, and there have been some complaint lately that domination has become too difficult in recent versions of VEM) I would be aiming to move inland a bit to get more riverside tiles. Pangaea domination seems to be doable by working your way into the middle of the continent so you can knock down any AI that are making moves on a win. Doing it quickly with Arabia will be tricky- their main power is from trading excess luxuries, so you would ideally leave AIs alive after taking their capital so you could continue trading with them.

Policies- After finishing honour/liberty, commerce for happiness to compensate for the expansion and captured cities will be important. Piety policies for a happy/culture boost could be useful also. Wonderwise- nothing stands out at being essential, maybe just Notre Dame for a chunk of happiness. Great library/national college for a science boost will make warfare easier to begin. Himeji might be nice but probably will want more troops around then.

Void's got some great points. Controlling the middle on a Pangea map is essential, especially so for Domination. The problem that you run into however, is that it can be difficult to "wipe out" civs early, you don't have the policies or happiness infrastructure to be able to mass puppet until ~industrial. This means that you have former enemies sitting on your borders, leaving your main army stretched thin. Unit control, and maximizing production is key.

Are you saying you wish you could have padded your stats?!?

Were you responding to me? I assumed reloads were instant disqualifications like the regular GotM. No, I just misclicked and gave away 700G worth of goods by accident - if I had known reloads were acceptable I wouldn't have continued, but reloaded. I was kicking myself for a while after that.

Were you responding to me? I assumed reloads were instant disqualifications like the regular GotM. No, I just misclicked and gave away 700G worth of goods by accident - if I had known reloads were acceptable I wouldn't have continued, but reloaded. I was kicking myself for a while after that.

Yes, I was (and kidding, of course).

So just to be clear- reloads for misclicks and the like are allowed? I know that is definately not the case for vanilla GoTM..

So just to be clear- reloads for misclicks and the like are allowed? I know that is definately not the case for vanilla GoTM..

Go ahead SgtCiv. The purpose of the GotM is to have fun. :)

In case it's not obvious from Thal's reply, this sort of error -clicking the wrong thing by mistake - is not a problem in general.

If anyone has a reloading question outside of misclicking, he or she should ask. We respond quickly.

The way I see it, cheating would be pointless here since all it gets is a soon-to-be-forgotten mention on a website. It's more enjoyable to genuinely play the game to have fun than worry about if we get higher numbers than others. Posting high scores is simply a way to encourage us all to do our best, and explore new and better strategies. :)

Two things:

1) the readme documentation in the zip download is great! The only thing that I think its missing is
2. Move all paid DLCs* to "DLC - Backup" from:
C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC

I have both the explorers DLC (+maps) and the Babylon DLC, but the folders within the stated folder in the directions are not at all clearly labeled, and I dont know which ones exactly to leave and which ones to move to backup.

Edit: Ah ok its on the GoTM 2 Prediscussion
*Leave the Shared folder and DLC_01, the free Mongolia pack.

but its not part of the word document in the save game file.

2) Regarding Loading Saved Games

taken from this thread: http://http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10847473#post10847473

Cheating includes (and is not limited to):
4. Reloading an earlier save-file and replaying turns in a different way. The only time you may reload a save file is to start a new play session, and you must use the save file from the end of your previous session.

Thal, I started a game with v114, and put the DLC-backup folder into the DLC folder. This allowed me to access all the DLC... except, seemingly, the Explorers. When I went to chose a Plus map, they weren't there. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

@EsoEs
The readme should look like this:

2) To quote Captain Barborossa, "The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules."

3) Did you put the DLC-Backup folder in there, or the contents of the folder? There's a difference... it should look like this:

Attachments

• GotVEM Readme.PNG
    GotVEM Readme.PNG
    30.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DLC Folder.PNG
    DLC Folder.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 180
Top Bottom