• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Featurette 2- How's your German?

It is a rather strange combination. I think the finisher makes up for the Great Works lost by not being able to take as much advantage of the Aesthetics Tree.

The Coastal City benefits are largely Happiness and Gold. I could see a civ like Carthage being an economic beast with Exploration and probably a few Commerce policies.

Hmm, yeah, it a possible outcome.
Maybe it even brings the possibility of someone with the exploration tree bashing his way to the cultural victory without investing artifact production (like those autocracy freaks).
Anyway, I hope it turns out alright... it's just that, for the moment, it seems a bit strange.

Brazil is shown with an infantry unit. Shouldn't that be a Pracinha?
I guess it was a gift from a city state?

They have already showed The Zulu with Pikemen, and we have the confirmation that the Impi replaces Pikemen, so same situation, really.
One would wager so, but it doesn't matter much...

By the way, it looks like Railroads got a graphical update. I noticed it on the ACW scenario screenshot, but I see it's in the main game too.

Roads look more clearly defined as well, and there are now evergreens in the forests. Looks good.

It is a rather strange combination. I think the finisher makes up for the Great Works lost by not being able to take as much advantage of the Aesthetics Tree.

The Coastal City benefits are largely Happiness and Gold. I could see a civ like Carthage being an economic beast with Exploration and probably a few Commerce policies.

I'm pretty sure Exploration is taking over the naval/coastal bonuses of Commerce so that Commerce can focus on trade routes.

Roads look more clearly defined as well, and there are now evergreens in the forests. Looks good.

And let's not forget about those extra-leafy jungle tiles! :D

I do agree, though, that the policies in the Exploration tree is extremely boring. +1 Happiness from Harbors etc? Ok I guess. Then another policy gives you +1 Gold from these buildings - extremely boring, and this is actually worse than the old Trade Unions policy which was one of the worse policies of the Commerce tree? And then a third policy that gives you +4 Gold from sea trade routes - while it might be good, how is this related much to Exploration, wouldn't that be Commerce if anything? And then the last one that gives you a GAs and increases their movement - but they have taken away the ship movement and sight (!?) and instead given a completely useless GAds earned 25 % faster - again, this is much worse than the old Naval Tradition.

Currently, Commerce generally gets a pretty bad rep for being underpowered, and it seems in the new Exploration tree, they've taken several of the old policies and then made them worse!? :confused:

Those cities look awfully strong. Ulundi :c5strength: 161? You see a rifle nearly suiciding on it. Some other towns are around :c5strength: 100, in what looks like the renaissance era. I'm used to seeing towns around :c5strength: 40. Would something have changed??

I would agree with kaspergm, esp since it doesn't open till Classical. Those bonuses would be good in Ancient.

I would agree with kaspergm, esp since it doesn't open till Classical. Those bonuses would be good in Ancient.

Let's have a look at the Commerce Tree before we start throwing stones at it. If it's the land-based version of Exploration, the combination may be quite powerful.

So, anyone think the non-BNW leaders in the featurette have any relevancy?
There are various in this one: while playing as Maria, the game has Bismark, Attila and Isabella; while playing as Pedro, the game has Genghis Khan, Isabella, William and Darius.

Also, while Shaka is attacking Wroclaw, we can see it's workers building a fort outside it's border - was this already possible? I thought we could only build roads... :confused:

There are various in this one: while playing as Maria, the game has Bismark, Attila and Isabella; while playing as Pedro, the game has Genghis Khan, Isabella, William and Darius.

I could see a lot of changes to the existing Civs. The new mechanics are pretty sweeping and you could realistically justify many changes. William in particular stands out in this list IMO. Bismark stands out for changes because of the addition of Shaka also.

Eagle, is it assumed that we will actually get that many policies in Classical for them to be relevant whereas now we choose 1 or 2 before rationalism and the later ones?

Except that the Exploration tree doesn't open until Medieval, and that three production per city would be way overpowered in Ancient.

Other than that, good comment.

Also, while Shaka is attacking Wroclaw, we can see it's workers building a fort outside it's border - was this already possible? I thought we could only build roads... :confused:
Yes,u can build fort outside border

Of course we can't know for sure, but I don't expect they'll be making radical changes to this many existing civs. In particular, it's hard to see what changes they could make to Attila or Genghis that are relevant to the new features. There's a risk of fixing what isn't broke.

Top Bottom