FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU (The Rage Thread)

stack defense mechanics. your stack is attacked, and your best unit gets bashed. Bad enough to have a 60% chance at victory vs the next attacker, but not bad enough to be hidden behind your cannon fodder unit which has a 55% chance. Your best unit dies, when if you could choose formation, your best unit would have retreated, and the cannon fodder unit would have gone to the front of the line

I had no idea what "Take Control of civ" meant, this is my third RFC game. I thought it meant vassalize the civ. It's 1290 AD, I'm playing Arabia, I'm one turn from winning, I declared war on Turkey, then the option to control them prompts. I click yes, realize my mistake (my jaw was on the floor now) and in 1300, Sal'adin wins a Historical victory.

It's the most stupid idea ever, culture is. I mean really, are territorial borders decided on how much art a nation produces?? And why would cities revolt and join another empire?! Seriously, just because a city was taken over doesn't mean it has to revolt and join the others. And by some magical property of the Civ4 Universe, the enemies get a few units in their new city, and my troops stationed in that city go poof; disappear into thin air.

This happens in regular Civ IV. Don't forget Civ IV was released about 5 years ago. That's basically ancient by computer standards. It was a new concept that people liked, and there wasn't much other way to show a civilization's cultural power -- and if you don't understand the significance of cultural strength throughout history, well [insert insult].
Who knows how this will be handled with Civ V... or how anything will be handled for that matter?

At least they're not milking the series every year unlike cod.

This happens in regular Civ IV. Don't forget Civ IV was released about 5 years ago. That's basically ancient by computer standards. It was a new concept that people liked, and there wasn't much other way to show a civilization's cultural power -- and if you don't understand the significance of cultural strength throughout history, well [insert insult].
Who knows how this will be handled with Civ V... or how anything will be handled for that matter?

I'd hardly say that. 5 years may be ancient for video cards, but not with everything else. I still play Star Trek: Bridge Commander (which is 8 years old), and my 5 year old mouse still works like new (though it requires an officially unsupported driver setup to use all the buttons on Vista/7).

I mean in terms of features. Just somethings were not possible to do back then because they were so complicated or our developers weren't experienced enough.
The world's first plane flew in 1903. It took many steps and much time for mankind to reach the moon. Say the features in Civ IV were like the invention of jet engines -- that doesn't mean the developers can jump straight to outer space (especially when people already go 'oo' and 'ah' for the current technology).
As for me, I'm getting tired with Civ IV -- especially with the features I used to loved -- like border expansion, religion, espionage, etc. It's a miracle that Civ V was announced just as I lost interest in our current epic installment of civilization.

Okay, so I'm France, and, for some bizarre reason, Burdigala doesn't flip to me. So I go and weaken it, there's only one unit left on it, an axeman at half strength. I'm poised to take it as Bordeaux, when out of the Fog of War comes Isabella and her Longbowman, and takes the city before I have the chance!!!

And what's more, she razes it!!!

I went to war with her, and took Cartagena and Santiago, and razed them, and she collapsed. So there!

:lol::lol: Awesome story. I love it when people show Isabella who's boss, since she's such a *****. Burdigala won't ever flip, especially since France is a 500 A.D. start.

Bordeaux might be better founded one tile south, since it would have two more hills (it normally has crappy production), and another city could get the cow above. Speaking about Bordeaux having crappy production, I think it's annoying, since it's such an important city in France. Also, Hamburg and Lubeck's position needs to be stronger.

For the first time ever. In maybe five bloody years or whatever it's been.

I get Five Religions as India!

Yay!

Then 1190AD, I'm #1 in population!

Then 1200AD, I'm in 2nd place by almost one million people.

Yay!

I mean. What? THE F*CK!?

Then 1210AD, I'm in 1st place by almost one million people!

Yay!

I mean. Damn. ./Rage.

For the first time ever. In maybe five bloody years or whatever it's been.

I get Five Religions as India!

Yay!

Then 1190AD, I'm #1 in population!

Then 1200AD, I'm in 2nd place by almost one million people.

Yay!

I mean. What? THE F*CK!?

Then 1210AD, I'm in 1st place by almost one million people!

Yay!

I mean. Damn. ./Rage.

Should have killed some Chinese, pillaged some seafood or something.

Mali History!

Started with more or less good units ( 1 war elephant , 1 impi + the regular skirmisher). Isabella is a :):):):):), doesnt want to trade Divine Right. Reason - "We would have nothing to gain" :(. After 5 turns a horde of 5 impis come + a random event of barbarian archers uprising - I am thinking "Bye Bye UHV" .Somehow I survived, but 2-3 turns later - plague hits - Alt + QQ.

2nd try - very good starting position, 3 elephants, 1 camel and 2 impis
Switched civics on the 1st turn. 2nd turn - flooding in Timbuktu destroyes my mint and granary:crazyeye::eek:

Cant the mali have more :):):):)ed up luck?

Attachments

• 2czq6c.jpg
    2czq6c.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,112
Okay so I'm playing as Spain. I'm doing my usual destroy Portugal as soon as possible strategy, so I already had an army ready to conquer them way before they spawned. It wasn't a huge army, just enough to destroy what Portugal has. On the same turn they spawn a barbarian uprising occures on the one non spanish tile in iberia. Those 6 axemen flip to them. They immediately declare war on me and France joins them. Portugal captures madrid and santiago and France captures barcelona. I lose.

Maybe u know this already , but u dont need an army to defeat Portugal. All you need is 1 knight. Just when their units appear immediately declare war on them. Next turn, they will move all their units 1 SE of Lisboa ( to attack you I suppose) and all they leave in the city is the settler and the works boats. Then u just raze the city with ur knight, he can get from madrid to lisboa in 1 move.
Note: If you keep the city on the next move 3rd turn more units will spawn for them , so its better to raze it. This is how i get rid of the portugese.

PS. This was on the 1.186 patch, i suppose it will work for 1.187 too

The great artist was a little unhappy that his great work wasn't needed after all. He was on his way to the sheep when domination was called. But he was glad to be recalled to Paris where his culture would matter a little more than in the steppes of Siberia.

I really like to maximize scores near the end, so the GA could have bulbed Mass Media for me instead. I didn't realize that the Sistine Chapel gives workers culture too, so my new conquests expanded rather rapidly and I didn't need to use him for land.

I'd just gotten my French triumphal arch/golden age when this occurred. WTF man. How does this even happen?
Spoiler :

Top Bottom