FfH 2 Manual

Xienwolf is too awesome to be writing a manual. I'd venture to say your coding talents are needed much more than your manual-writing talents.
It might be a good idea to find someone else willing to take over and continue it.

Hmmm. Xienwolf, if I say to myself "Bother! There's no information about technology in here, really," and proceed to transcribe all the stuff from the game/XML into your PDF, how can I make that helpful to other people? Posting it here? Sending it to you?

Probably posting it here would be best. You need to scrub through XML, Python and DLL to make sure you have ALL the information. But the complicated bits from python should already be included IIRC (mostly just Infernal Pact, oh and the Missionary units for Religious Techs), and there isn't much done to make Technologies ultra nifty/confusing in the DLL either, so it is possibly the one area where XML tells you almost the full story.

Probably posting it here would be best. You need to scrub through XML, Python and DLL to make sure you have ALL the information. But the complicated bits from python should already be included IIRC (mostly just Infernal Pact, oh and the Missionary units for Religious Techs), and there isn't much done to make Technologies ultra nifty/confusing in the DLL either, so it is possibly the one area where XML tells you almost the full story.

That's pretty much what I thought. I'll just browse through that, then. So I should update the PDF and post it here as an attachment ?

Should work, then I can pop a link to your version on the first post.

I'd be happy to contribute back - I've been having tons of fun with FFH, so doing some transcription from the XML sounds good. However, doing it all with Acrobat Pro's TouchUp tool is not a great prospect. Inefficient, and probably going to produce an ugly file. Any chance of getting a closer-to-source file from you? My gmail address is the same as my forum handle here.

Yay! I'm sorry I didn't read the thread carefully enough to find that link. I don't think that I have OpenOffice installed right now, but I can fix that easily enough.

Drat. Xienwolf, can you tell me the hex codes for the colors you used in hyperlinks in the manual? They all show up as "User" in OpenOffice, and I'm not good enough to match colors strictly by eye.

I forgot how long this thing takes to load on my poor laptop :(

From Tools->Options->OpenOffice.org->Colors, these are all of my colors in the table, I set them by RGB values myself. Not sure if you NEED the name to match up, but this is them as shown.

Civilizations: R153, G0, B153
Religions: R102, G0, B153
Units: R153, G51, B0
Buildings: R153, G102, B0
Magic: R153, G153, B0
Promotions: R51, G153, B0
Landscape: R51, G153, B102
Traits: R0, G153, B153
Civics: R0, G102, B153
Technology: R0, G153, B0
Concepts: R102, G153, B0

Didn't see anywhere to output or input as Hex codes, but interestingly enough my number selections are all 20/40/60 values in various CMYK fields.

Thanks, Xienwolf, that was exactly the info I needed.

I'm starting to see why editing this thing takes a while. I have a pretty reasonable machine, but OOO really chokes on this file sometimes. There are also a lot of fiddly little details that my Inner Editor wants to fix.

If you can improve the layout, have at it (it just takes bloody well forever...). I think one of the biggest gripes that OOO has with the file is how many individual tables I have (pretty sure I am well over 3,000 last I looked), as well as the massive quantity of images, most all of which are actually larger than shown, so that adds more time for resizing them.

Suggestion - in the section for each nation have "common religion synergies" (e.g. Ljosalfar - FoL; Sheiam - AV; etc). I think this would be useful for newbies wondering what religion to adopt (more advanced players will have other combinations of course but this would be aimed at helping new players).

Great Thanks for that very helpful manuel. Many things are no where else described...

Top Bottom