1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

FfH2 0.40 Changelog

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Hanny

Hanny Chieftain

A reply to my post about early game city attacks, in which a highly promoted axeman was given as being a break even example.

You too think that haveing a highly promted city attacker is typical, it may be typical for you, but not for the ai. These city attacking units you refer to, gaining promotions, and becoming highly promoted, just what do you think happens to those archers who defeat those you sent out and lost?, unlike your none upgraded ones with a mere city bonus, terrian bonus,25% fortified bounus and defensive strike and first strike, they are now as promoted as your city attackers. Thats what im posting about, if defensive and first strike inflict a suffiecent losses in hps, which looks likly in early game city attacks, and only gets better as tyhe game goes on, your going to see very few surviving city attackers as defensive fire and first strike bring the attckers to jump points in hps much quicker than before, meaning the law of diminishing returns applys and more attackers are defeated quicker for less loss to the defender.

Any close combat odds, ie attack and defense are equal, where one side has lost hps prior to the combat and has a 80 to 99 of its hps, and the other full hps, means the less hit pointed unit will not win 50% of the time befcause of jump points, in which 1 less damage is inflicted, but instead, 25-38% of the time will it win because of this. Defensive fire and first strike combined will make this occur more often, ie hp reduced attackers going on to defeat beacuse of the double wammy to there hit points, which was why i posted that if the combat was recomputed and seen to be a defeat after defensive fire, it woulod work better than if it did not.

2. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

I would propose we wait until tommorrow to jugde if a mechanic is broken or not. You also have to remember that from now on Kael and his team are beginning to improve the AI and your thoughts may be obsolete. Of course city defenders were improved, but I think before it was much harder to get good defenders than good attackers and now it's about on par. Train the AI to learn Air or Fire II or to build massive stacks of catapults and you will again have your challenge. With all units of the AI usually starting with level 4 for me this challenge is already existent. If you feel that the AI begins to bore you, consider to raise your difficulty.

3. Hanny

Hanny Chieftain

4. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

It has to do with the difficulty as on Immortal you nearly never see an AI unit with less than three promotions (as they start with 6 XP + 2 XP by apprenticeship + 2 XP by conquest). The AI beelines warfare so usually axemen have city raiders I+II+III, which is a 9.1 unit (and was a 11.0 unit before) which can be quite a threat in focussed hordes with catapult-support. I'm sure the later patches will instruct the AI to use good attacking strategies.

5. giddion

giddion Crusader

A request....

I love the world spells, but I would really like it if there was 2, I know this would be way to powerful but... Why can't there be a minor version and a major version?

This makes sense to me as, in the early game most people just want to hinder your opponents, hence a minor world spell, and later hurt them more with a major version.

6. Methuselah

Methuselah Chieftain

The ritual "Birthright Regained" allows you to reuse your world spell, so a minor version would be a tad pointless in my opinion. It's an interesting idea and all, but there's no need for it.

7. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

5 turns are the 20% of 25

8. LordGek

LordGek Chieftain

Hey Guys,

Sorry if already discussed but will any of these scenarios be on random maps or are they all fixed map situations? I know my personal favorite is altered rules/parameters on a random map. While a hand crafted map is probably preferred, especially when recreating specific battles of lore, from a gameplay perspective, I hate the damned things. After you've played it once or twice the "exploration" aspect is completely minimized and it becomes just a matter of rote memorization of the optimal path to success (sure, battle results and other factors make each play through a little different, but it still makes replaying very tedious to me).

9. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

I think I will be satisfied with a scenario after I played it once (or multiple times if I lose). There is always the epic game (random map) to play once you tire of the scenarios.

And then there will probably be many more player made scenarios since you will be able to make a scenario that works even if they patch the main mod.

10. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

11. Love

Love Chieftain

what time exactly (GMT +-0) Is it released?

12. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

13. Love

Love Chieftain

He probably has

14. Nimbus

Nimbus Chieftain

Also don't forget the wait between when he posts it to the download service and when it gets approved.

Further, let's try to remember to let Xienwolf get the first post on the thread to keep up the bug report log.

15. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

Yes but this is only about an hour and a half or so.

16. Skitters

Skitters Chieftain

As a Brit, I was very surprised on the last two releases that when I'd log in at work on the morning of the scheduled release was there already and will have been by a good few hours, which I'd guess would have been 7am GMT at the latest.

That doesn't mean it will be that early this time, but I suspect that if I could somehow shut myself of from the world on Friday I'd be doing my utmost to navigate those scenarios...

17. Bringa

Bringa Chieftain

It IS the 16th in some parts of the world right now!

18. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

/me plays it cool and sits back waiting for patch J before downloading

19. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

But those parts dont include the midwestern US.

20. megamanx06

megamanx06 Caswallan

this sucks i lost my civ iv disk. i hope i find it before tomorrow.