FfH2 Bug Thread

I'm having a pretty major bug with this scenario... I don't know what I did, but there is NO flavor text at all. When I go to the pass, there isn't any flavor text popping up, and often no gargoyles spawn, or when I exit the cave, there should be something happening, but nothing does... the dragon does spawn though..

Oh, there is a major bug, because you can settle far to the north of the hippus starting spot, on the water, and bypass the whole dungeon section. Also, for the random "pay for map to treasure" thing, it spawns on a place where it is impossible to build a boat to get to it, you HAVE to use water walking... which, by the way, is the main way to bypass the scenario.. Octopus Overlords units seriously break the scenario.

(Posted both in the bug thread and the cult feedback).

:sad: Looks like I have an loop at end of turn ... Anyone care to take a look at it?

Ok, I took a look. The problem apparently comes form the main army of the Hippus. The Hippus are in a huge war with the Clan, which the Hippus are losing. Deleting the main army fixes the crash but of course changes the game.

Unfortunately, there are something like (gulp!) 150 units in the stack and finding which one or ones is causing the problem will be REAL hard; Indeed, the bug doesn't allow me to get out of the game by hitting <alt> F4 or CNTL-ALT-DEL. I have to turn the computer off, and reboot, which takes a long time.

So, I may try to look into that stack if I get some free time but I'm likely to bag it.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Ok, I took a look. The problem apparently comes form the main army of the Hippus. The Hippus are in a huge war with the Clan, which the Hippus are losing. Deleting the main army fixes the crash but of course changes the game.

Unfortunately, there are something like (gulp!) 150 units in the stack and finding which one or ones is causing the problem will be REAL hard; Indeed, the bug doesn't allow me to get out of the game by hitting <alt> F4 or CNTL-ALT-DEL. I have to turn the computer off, and reboot, which takes a long time.

So, I may try to look into that stack if I get some free time but I'm likely to bag it.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Thanks for looking into it. That's too bad, this was turning out to be an interesting game.

...Unfortunately, there are something like (gulp!) 150 units in the stack and finding which one or ones is causing the problem will be REAL hard; Indeed, the bug doesn't allow me to get out of the game by hitting <alt> F4 or CNTL-ALT-DEL. I have to turn the computer off, and reboot, which takes a long time. ...

I've had so-called "infinite loops" occur before where the computer seems to hang, endlessly waiting on other players (AI) turns. The only way out appears to be only solvable by doing a reboot if you're not playing in Windowed mode. In Windowed mode, you can access the Process list and shut it down.

However, I had a great game I was playing where this occurred not long ago and I was a bit disappointed by it. So, I reloaded and played out the turn again then, when it was the AI's turn, I left the computer running and the game "Waiting" on other AI Player turns and ran some errands.

When I came back home and checked, the computer had finally completed the turn.

So, I played the next turn and the same thing happened, a seemingly endless loop between turns. I waited.. and waited.. and waited.. I watched TV, read a little bit and then came back.. Walla! The turn was completed some 20 minutes later.

It's a great game but, I don't think I can deal with 20 minutes between turns. (Though, some in-between-turn stretches aren't quite that long.) I think it's due to a huge number of units and, perhaps, the fact that I am in Crusade which is spawning units every few turns. I haven't looked into it with WorldBuilder yet because, quite frankly, I don't know how to use WorldBuilder properly.

Note: This wasn't something that built up gradually. Turns prior to this occurring had been normal. It went from a minute+ between turns to suddenly half an hour or more.

I have noticed that too, Morkonan, and it isn't caused by something like running out of RAM ( which would cause slow disk swapping ).

In this late game, huge map with only 30% of water, turns are now taking >30 minutes too. Certain actions like capturing a city or expanding a city's culture stall the game for a minute too. I'm very tempted to profile the code at least to have an idea of what is exactly taking so long... I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for looking into it. That's too bad, this was turning out to be an interesting game.

Well, I did play a little more. That Hippus stack has MORE THAN 130 units, more like 200 (only 130 shows when you play them, see below). The enemy Orcs are also huge.

I tried deleting units in groups, and it didn't seem to work. I saved the game in the worldbuilder, played as the Hippus. I wanted to see if it was a resource problem with huge stacks. I cast wither, cast maelstorm, attacked the clan, and won the battle. I played the game on; so it doesn't look like a resource problem.

This may be the 'huge stack' bug, but there just may be a unit or conbination that is the real problem (probable). It clearly is AI action related, the same army crashed as the AI but not played as the human.

Sorry, this is just taking too long to fix.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Python Exception

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 68
Argh, I just deleted and reinstalled FFH2, but now I am having even MORE problems with "The Cult". Now the gargoyles don't spawn any more no matter what I do! :( :(

When using the "sang du phenix" (french for blood of the phenix ritual), I can use my great persons twice because their sacrifice is seen as a death.
I'm pretty sure it was not intended this way.

Well, I did play a little more. That Hippus stack has MORE THAN 130 units, more like 200 (only 130 shows when you play them, see below). The enemy Orcs are also huge.

I tried deleting units in groups, and it didn't seem to work. I saved the game in the worldbuilder, played as the Hippus. I wanted to see if it was a resource problem with huge stacks. I cast wither, cast maelstorm, attacked the clan, and won the battle. I played the game on; so it doesn't look like a resource problem.

This may be the 'huge stack' bug, but there just may be a unit or conbination that is the real problem (probable). It clearly is AI action related, the same army crashed as the AI but not played as the human.

Sorry, this is just taking too long to fix.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Well, i tried Morkonan's suggestion to let the turn go on while I did something else. It must have been stack size because the turn did eventually end and the game resumed normally. You did guess right that the Hippus were losing that war, because they capitulated to the clan a few turns later :lol:.

Well, i tried Morkonan's suggestion to let the turn go on while I did something else. It must have been stack size because the turn did eventually end and the game resumed normally. You did guess right that the Hippus were losing that war, because they capitulated to the clan a few turns later :lol:.

Interesting. I try that as a matter of course. Whwn I delete the Hippus main army stack, I get to the next turn in about 30 seconds. Ok, I'll give it a try ....

Ok, Lopriest is correct. I let it run about 15 minutes, went away and came back 15 minutes later, and the game was working, so on my machine it took between 15 and 30 minutes or so. However, if you pass the turn, then subsequent turns take a 'normal' amount of time.

Also, for any AI programmers, there is opportunity here. I loaded the HIppus if the Worldbuilder and made considerable progress by casting wither (a strong spell against a large stack) and some maelstroms before counter-attacking the orcs.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Hi,

I'm playing the Luchuirps. They initially adopted the Runes of Kilmorph state religion. Later they founded Empyrean and switched to that. Now, 2-3 turns ago they switched back to Runes of Kilmorph in order to build Soldiers of Kilmorph. There are plenty of cities left with the religion present and even temples, but I can't build Soldiers of Kilmorph. I don't see any prohibition against it and I think I remember seeing the option available earlier in the game.

You have probably researched Fanaticism, which obsoletes Soldiers of Kilmorph in favor of Paramanders.

I played a hotseat game where I took control over an enemy civ using the council of esus hero. My wife killed the civilization while I was playing them now it seems like I do not get to play my old civilization again.

I played a hotseat game where I took control over an enemy civ using the council of esus hero. My wife killed the civilization while I was playing them now it seems like I do not get to play my old civilization again.

Oops :). I guess that's working as intended!

How can that be intended?

Is there any way to edit me into the game again?

Top Bottom