FfH2 Bug Thread

Patch M:

Playing scenario 'The splindered court'. After hitting <Enter>, the game crashes. Maybe the tiger bug?

Edit:
Yes, it was the tiger bug. One tiger stack of Arendel gets possibly attacked by an allied shadow with the subdue animal promotion.

the bug is caused by harlequins targeting charmed units.
Ahh, I see. Is that the cause of all the Taunt problems? I don't remember seeing Charmed on the bugged units in the few example saves I examined, although of course I might not have noticed.

Just a question, my game keeps on reverting to desktop every few seconds or so. It isn't actually a problem with the mod because it did the same thing with BtS. I just want to know if anyone had the same problem and know how to fix it.

Ahh, I see. Is that the cause of all the Taunt problems? I don't remember seeing Charmed on the bugged units in the few example saves I examined, although of course I might not have noticed.
there are other causes as well. The current code in FFH tells the unit to attack without checking first if it is allowed to do so. The code I posted should fix all issues. The code is in python, so you can add it to cvspellinterface.py without having to compile anything and can test it.

@Sephi

Is it possible for you to upload the file(s) with the fixes you made?

It would be good with an "unofficial patch" for all of us that doesn't feel comfortable doing this such of things ourselves and since it seems that an official patch is ...

I get a repeatable "waiting for other players" message when I end my turn. No matter how long I wait it never resumes play. This is in a single player game (save attached).

I get a repeatable "waiting for other players" message when I end my turn. No matter how long I wait it never resumes play. This is in a single player game (save attached).

This is unfortunately a very bad bug, what I'm going to call the 'multiple mages' bug. It is caused by the stack of 16 mages in the Lanun city of Ayelsbury. In order to clear the bug, you have to delete 10 mages! This change, of course, has a material impact on the game balance. Restoring 10 mages a turn later isn't a trivial task.

I suspect with a lot of playing by changing specific AI scripts, promotions, etc. a fix could be found, but I don't see anything obvious.

The only 'easy' way around it, I found, is to load the game in the worldbuilder, and play as the Lanun for 1 turn. Usually, this will fix the bug. Then resave the game in the worldbuilder, reload as the Luchuirp, and you can play on. These steps, unfortunatley, also change the game, you can now recast your world spell, rebuild Barnaxus (whose pieces are held by Saverous), etc.

Let me know how you want to proceed and how I can help.

For AI programmers, please look at the Lanun and the save game. Their SoD has no mages (it looks like they had 1 in the adjacent city) and 16 mages are sitting in Ayelsbury. The Khazad have naval superiority (!) over the Lanun, but the Lanun can capture some of the ships with boarding parties, does the AI understand this capability/issue?

Best wishes,

Breunor

Ha, thank you very much. Perhaps if I delete the mages and replace them with some other decent unit it will keep the game balance. I am glad to have a solution of some sort, as I think I might be able to pull out a win even after some poor decisions on my side caused me some devastating loses.

Ha, thank you very much. Perhaps if I delete the mages and replace them with some other decent unit it will keep the game balance. I am glad to have a solution of some sort, as I think I might be able to pull out a win even after some poor decisions on my side caused me some devastating loses.

Good luck! I'm anal when I fix, so I would write down the exact XP's and levels and promotions of each mage (and AI script); and then add them back the next turn. This process probably takes about 20 minutes so as I said, let me know if you want me to do it and I can if I get some free time.

Unfortunately, 'equivalent' units will be 'tough'. Patch M has learned SOMETHING about combined arms. I'm not sure exactly why the 16 mages are in Ayelsbury (and Hemah is one square south, he's a killer!) while the main army of boarding parties and cultists is to the west, but it DOES look like the computer is trying to consolidate the army somewhat. It has mages capable of casting some pretty good spells, like maelstrom, which is just hard to recreate in another way.

As an example, load the game you sent in the worldbuilder. Immediatley save the game as a worldbuilder file; load as the Lanun. 4 of the mages have 'moved' toward the main stack. (A human would move more, but this is a start!).

I'm willing to put the time in, this is a FASCINATING game. I think the Lanun will beat the bleep out of the Khazad and so it will be them against you. I do think you will win by superior resources, but obviously losing Baranxus hurts. However I think your extra cities,with their gold and production, will win out if you can avoid the main fight long enough for your resource advantage to win out.

In playing through it, I kind of like the game as a 'scenario'. Both sides (Luchuirp and Lanun) have some advantages here. You have more cities, production, and wealth; they have some real tough units, including Saverous, Hemah, Guybrush, etc. and a bunch of powerful cultists and mages while you don't have Baranxus; it kind of reminds me of WWII game in the East!. Good stuff!

Best wishes,

Breunor

If you don't mind fixing it that would be awesome. I was going to do the work in order to avoid troubling anyone else, but you seem to be getting a real kick out of my game. Oddly enough Barnaxus wasn't that important until after I lost him. My original army consisted of Sphener, 4 high level paladins, a ton of crusaders, and a few priests to bless them. And I was inches from getting Theology to give me high priests. Alas, Bambur + Athendain + the really short dwarf hero = bad news, and I lost it all. So now I suddenly want to build golems for the first time this game and stupid Barnaxus has gotten himself captured. So I'm switching to Fellowship of Leaves in order to gain access to their heroes, which no one has built (which will be the third or fourth religion my people have worshiped. Those Lurichip seem quite fickle).

If you don't mind fixing it that would be awesome. I was going to do the work in order to avoid troubling anyone else, but you seem to be getting a real kick out of my game. Oddly enough Barnaxus wasn't that important until after I lost him. My original army consisted of Sphener, 4 high level paladins, a ton of crusaders, and a few priests to bless them. And I was inches from getting Theology to give me high priests. Alas, Bambur + Athendain + the really short dwarf hero = bad news, and I lost it all. So now I suddenly want to build golems for the first time this game and stupid Barnaxus has gotten himself captured. So I'm switching to Fellowship of Leaves in order to gain access to their heroes, which no one has built (which will be the third or fourth religion my people have worshiped. Those Lurichip seem quite fickle).

I won't be able to get to it until the weekend probably. I should be able to do it then.

Bruce

Normally, the AI is annoyingly good at spamming culture, but in my latest game two of my AI neighbors just let me dominate their culture. In the north, I faced Perpentach:
Spoiler :

Since he had a freak standing in the city, it would have been simplicitiy itself to build a freak show and fight off my wimpy culture (one monument in each city). Instead, this city eventually flipped to me.

In the south, I took a barb city to grab the Remnants of Patria, then Cardith settled behind my lines:
Spoiler :

If he had used Legends, or even built some monuments, it would have severely cramped my cities. Instead, they sat there with zero culture until I conquered them much later.

Both of these AIs start out as Creative, and I wonder whether there's some code that de-emphasizes culture buildings because of that. If so, it needs to check whether the AI is currently Creative, since they had both switched to non-Creative traits.

Edit: one more thing - notice in the second screenshot how I have horses and Odio on the same tile. Can't pasture the horses, so it's kind of a waste.

Attachments

• Hexam.jpg
    Hexam.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Cardith.jpg
    Cardith.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Dave AD-0174.CivBeyondSwordSave
    250.8 KB · Views: 51
So far no success figuring out the cause for this so figure it's a bug.

Short version: Chalid Astrakein not defending in combat.

Longer version: I have a stack of troops 2 squares from enemy city on Chieftain mode and the whole city unloads to more 2 squares over and attack the stack.
Stack is thoroughly destroyed (7 units) with one exception....Chalid Astrakein is untouched. He is level 5 with all combat upgrades and Gavannon training (lvl 1 spells) and by far he is the strongest unit in the stack. He didn't engage in combat at all. He was also the only unit in the stack that was fortified at the time. This is a mid-game battle, only 1 assassin class that I could find, most were archers or normal melee class. As I can tell Chalid should have been the first to engange. Instead all the melee, priests, and mages all engage and die without Chalid engaging at all.
Attackers: all Ljosafar troops, Longbowmen, 1 assassin, 1 hero (Gilden). Only the assassin has marksman upgrade.

Chalid has Channeling I, Channeling II, and Channeling III, all of which reduce his chance to defend the stack. So it's not a surprise that the melee and priests defended over him. I don't know why the mages would defend over him though.

Edit: Each level of Channeling gives -25% chance to defend the stack (i.e. -25% to the defender weighting). Assuming they stack additively, Chalid would be half as likely to defend the stack as the mages (who have just two levels of Channeling). Thus if the mages were more than half as strong as Chalid, they would defend first. That seems unlikely though - unless the mages also had high Combat promotions they should have been less than half as strong (4 strength to Chalid's minimum 7, and then account for fortification and Combat promotions.)

They didn't get hit by Rust, did they? The AI these days likes to use entropy mana.

Other than that I've never encountered any such issue.

Top Bottom