Final Earth Map

The map is fantastic, but now I meet a real problem, it is too large:( After playing for thirty hours, I have reached 11th century. There are about four hundred cities in the world, and it takes more than ten minutes to wait for the next turn:(

My computer has a 1G cpu and 256M memory. Is there any advice to speed the game other than upgrading my computer? Thanks a lot.

if you are going to be jesus and resurrect long dead threads at least have something to say!!!

and about your sig...how on earth is SARS bush's fault?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by algore
if you are going to be jesus and resurrect long dead threads at least have something to say!!!

Personally, I don't see a problem with bumping Marla's map up to the top every now and then. It is a form of tribute. I think I speak for many mapmakers when I say that this is the map that inspired me to create my own. Maybe there should be a Hall of Fame for maps of this stature.

nothing was meant against Marla's map, I personally use it all the time, but he has bumped dozens of long (month +) dead threads and has been warned by others...

Personally, no offense to Marla, but this is one of the most inaccurate earth maps ever created. :)

While it may be the first, and most popular and widely used, it certainly is not the best.

Part of the problem is the projection used (not her fault).

Originally posted by dickens
The map is fantastic, but now I meet a real problem, it is too large:( After playing for thirty hours, I have reached 11th century. There are about four hundred cities in the world, and it takes more than ten minutes to wait for the next turn:(

My computer has a 1G cpu and 256M memory. Is there any advice to speed the game other than upgrading my computer? Thanks a lot.

Follow the link in my signature

I think Marla was the first to produce a world map back in 2001.

Thankyou Marla for all your hard work. You and your early testers inspired others.

But no one knew then that Civ3 would be so slow on very large maps - except of course probably Firaxis.

I used her map in early 2002 but had to stop because of the time delay problems (nearly an hour on my PC in the late game).

Any way 10 minutes is good - lucky you. Also you did not say what era you were in, at 10 mins I would guess late middle ages/ early industrial.

Marla's map is 204 * 256.

You can get from other moders Earth maps of :

Huge 180 * 180 ( 20 min+ wait time) or
large 140 * 140 (8 min+ wait time).

Timings are in late industrial or modern eras. They are also dependant on the speed of your PC.

Look at previous post to find them, or the maps or mods forums, if you want quicker times between moves in your games.

Marla_Singer and the other map makers you are doing a great job. I am a big fan of the huge maps and look forward to your next work. A question I have is the seems to be a limit on the number of cities the game will let you build. On a 362x362, about a quarter of the land mass in uninhabited and the game will not allow any of the civs to build cities. Is there a command or mod that needs to be adjusted?

To any future users of this very cool map. We are going to be using it in the RICK1 SG. We'll be playing as France so I think it will be a very challenging AA. Here's the thread if you're interested: RICK1

[Edit: I didn't have any problem downloading it. :hmm:]

Hi.
I have one ( still the same ) problem.
I have download 1.29f patch for civ3, and then dowlnoad this world map.
But it not working.
The file of this map, after download have only 80,1 Kb and it is not a bic format.
Oders maps have sizes more than 400!!
Is this correct file?
What can I do now??
Thank You very much for anserws.
( I`m sorry for my english, I have learn this language for only 6 months)

Hi.
I have one ( still the same ) problem.
I have download 1.29f patch for civ3, and then dowlnoad this world map.
But it not working.
The file of this map, after download have only 80,1 Kb and it is not a bic format.
Oders maps have sizes more than 400!!
Is this correct file?
What can I do now??
Thank You very much for anserws.
( I`m sorry for my english, I have learn this language for only 6 months)

Top Bottom