1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy Mod Progress Thread, Part III

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by DJ Bonebraker, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

:mischief:

2. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Patience, I've got about 5 projects on the go right now, about which 3 involve Civ III, and I'm updating the BIQ right now.....

Plus I want to finish up Captain Jack Sparrow in time to enter him in the July unit maker's contest.

3. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

If you do submit Cap'n Jack, he will definately get my vote :)

4. DJ Bonebraker

Ok....

Got the Two civs from Final Fantasy II added to the game...

Fynn has their LH, and 1 UU (Rebel, replaces the samurai and has stealth attack capabilities).

Paramekian Empire has all of its UUs (Death Rider replaces chocobo knight and has same stats but only requires Iron, Warlock replaces Samurai, has increased attack, and bombard, increased cost, and the Imperial Guard replaces the Dragoon and has increased attack and bombard).

I've also added the Ogre defensive flavor units for the REALLY evil factions. the factions getting these units are:

Paramekian Empire, Orcish Horde, Forbidden Land and Dark Warriors. I'm debating on whether or not to give them to the Vector Empire from FF VI as well (the Vector Empire, however, seems like the least likely of the 4 to use something like Ogres, though).

Basically the Ogre line works like this:

Age of Legend: Ogre (2,3,1), replaces archer, required tech = Warrior Code
    Age of Chivalry: Ogre Chieftain (3,5,1), replaces Ranger, required tech = Invention
    Age of Steam: Ogre Cannonier (6,10,1), replaces Gunner, required tech = Nationalism
    Age of Machina: Ogre Machinegunner (12,20,1), replaces Sniper, required tech = TBD (Currently at COmputers with Sniper, however when I get around to finalizing the Modern tech tree, that will change most likely).

Also, got a list of Viera flavor units to do, and maybe some bangaa flavor unit as well... which brings me up to another point:

Since Final Fantasy XII is coming out in less than a month, I figured that I'll add Romanda from XII as the 31st civ, and give them the same Viera and bangaa flavor units that Bervenia (FFT: A) uses....

It's starting to look like this mod will have more flavor than Cajun gumbo on crack...

5. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

i just noticed, are there any FF5 civs?

6. Chris85

Chris85 Emperor

Tycoon is the FFV civ.

I just noticed Hikaro forgot to put it in his list on the first page. :smoke:

7. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

yeah, i was wondering cos it wasn't on the list :)

8. pillullis

pillullis Chieftain

Keep the good work Hikaro! You are one of the best around!

9. PSmurf888

PSmurf888 Chieftain

i've been watching this mod for a while, and i must say im unbelievably excited for it. any updates so far Hikaro?

10. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Will the mod make sense to those of us who know nothing of Final Fantasy? I mean, will concepts, civs, units etc be explained in the pedia or wherever in a way that doesn't presuppose prior knowledge? I'm just thinking of a comparison with Lord of the Mods, which does seem to be ignoramus-friendly. I'd like to play your mod when it's done so the more info the better, really!

11. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Or you can just play all the FF games before starting the mod :mischief: It`s a better option, trust me ;)

12. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Psh. I don't have that kind of time (or money). I just want to kick some Cat-girl ass with that one-winged dude that killed that chick, :evil:.

13. DJ Bonebraker

Well, I've been doing the civilopedia entries in a similar manner to which the epic games were... For example, here's a quick sample of the pedia entry for the AVALANCHE faction:

#RACE_AMERICAN
    ^The AVALANCHERs are $LINK<religious, agricultural and militaristic=GCON_Strengths>. They start the game with
    $LINK<Pottery,=TECH_Pottery> ,$LINK<Shamanism=TECH_Ceremonial_Burial> and $LINK<Warrior Code=TECH_Warrior_Code> and build $LINK<Freedom Fighters=PRTO_Enkidu_Warrior> instead of $LINK<Dragoons=PRTO_TOW_Infantry>, $LINK<Wutai Ninjas=PRTO_Yuffie> instead of $LINK<Samurai=PRTO_Samurai>, and $LINK<the Highwind=PRTO_Stealth_Fighter> instead of $LINK<Advanced Airships=PRTO_Legionary>.
    ^
    ^AVALANCHE was the name of a resistance group started by Barret Wallace to fight against the oppression of the evil $LINK<Shinra Corporation=RACE_GERMANS>. They knew that the Makou reactors that the world-conquering mega-corp was building were literally draining the life from the planet, so the group's primary goal was to destroy as many (if not all) of
    Shinra's makou reactors as they could. Initially, they did not have too much success, due to the fact that they were unable, for the most part, to overcome the superior weaponry and training of Shinra's elite $LINK<SOLDIER=PRTO_SOLDIER> corps or the underhanded infiltration tactics of the Shinra secret police, or $LINK<Turks=PRTO_Immortals>. All of this changed rather suddenly...
    ^ The group decided to hire a disgruntled ex-SOLDIER named Cloud Strife, whose intimate knowledge of Shinra tactics and security protocols allowed the group to score their first decisive victory: the destruction of Midgar's No. 1 makou reactor. This initial victory was followed by the destruction of the No 5 makou reactor a few days later. The mission ran into a Shinra trap, and barely managed to escape, but Cloud was unable to escape, and plunged about 250 ft, luckily landing on a flower bed in a church in the Sector 5 Slums...
    ^ This proved to be another major event for the group, since it was there that Cloud met Aeris Gainsborough, the last living member of a race known as the Cetra or Ancients. Aeris helped Cloud and Tifa Lockheart expose a Shinra
    plot to collapse the Sector 7 plate, crushing the entire Sector 7 Slums in an attempt to get rid of AVALANCHE.
    ^ While unable to prevent the destruction, AVALANCHE did manage to escape, and even went so far as to make a frontal assault on the Shinra HQ, in an attempt to rescue Aeris from the evil corporation. The rescue attempt took a turn for the worse when the team was captured just before they could assassinate President Shinra, but another wierd event ended up playing into their hands as well as turning AVALANCHE into something more than a mere political rebellion.
    ^ That event was the return of Sephiroth, the greatest SOLDIER ever, who was thought dead for the past 5 years.

#DESC_RACE_AMERICAN
    ^
    ^
    ^
    This time, Sephiroth had gone rouge, and killed president Shinra, throwing the entire corporate structure into complete chaos. Cloud attempts to kill Rufus Shinra, the president's son in order to deal a final blow to the corporation, but Rufus manages to escape. The fight with Rufus did, however, allow AVALANCHE to escape Midgar. Once AVALANCHE escaped Midgar, and elected Cloud as their leader, Cloud reveals to them what happened 5 years ago at Neibelheim, his hometown, and why Sephiroth must be stopped. As the group continues on its planet-saving mission, Sephiroth's ultimate insane plan is revealed, and the focus of their battle shifts from Shinra to Sephiroth himself.
    ^ You see, Sephiroth wanted to use an ancient summon spell to call down a small planetoid, called Meteor, to impact the planet, causing a massive flood of Makou energy to the impact crater. Sephiroth hoped to then absorb
    this energy and become a god. Fortunately, AVALANCHE, with the help of the ex-Shinra ace pilot, Cid Highwind and his famous airship of the same name, as well as Yuffie and the ninjas of Wutai, and other allies, were able to
    defeat Sephiroth and release Holy before Meteor could hit the planet.

And here's the entries for some of the units:

#PRTO_BLM
    ^
    ^
    ^The [Blue Mage] is Kiltia's ultimate offensive infantry unit. Since a blue mage's power comes from the spells learned from monsters, the only resource needed for their training is $LINK<Materia=GOOD_Materia>.

#DESC_PRTO_BLM
    ^
    ^
    ^Blue Magess are unlike the other three varieties of mages (white, black and red) in that all their spells are learned from monsters. Once a blue mage is attacked with a learnable spell, providing he or she survives the effects, the mage can then use that spell from then on. Needless to say that good blue mages are constanly on the look for monsters to battle in order to increase their devatsating arsenal of spells.

#PRTO_TaruRng
    ^
    ^
    ^The [Mithra Ranger] is a potent defensive unit for the Federation of Windhurst that takes the place of the $LINK<Ranger=PRTO_Longbowman>, but has greater defense owing to the Mithra race's high dexterity and agility.

#DESC_PRTO_TaruRng
    ^
    ^
    ^The Mithra of Windhurst are a predominantly female (about 75-80%) race, known for their high dexterity, and cunning tactics, which leading most of their kind to become ninjas, thieves or rangers. Those who do chose the way of the bow are both respected and feared throughout the world for the deadly accuracy of their aim, and their ability to see and dodge incoming ranged attacks.

#PRTO_Biker
    ^
    ^
    ^The Galbadian [Battle Bike] is the ultimate mechanized assault infantry for the Republic of Galbadia, and can move faster than the standard $LINK<Samurai=PRTO_Samurai> it replaces.

#DESC_PRTO_Biker
    ^
    ^
    ^The Galbadian Military has long relied on high-tech mechanized forces to rapidly overrun any opposition. The power armor wearing battle bikers represent the cutting edge of this modern rapid strike force, enabling their troops to rapidly penetrate enemy territory where heavy tanks would be slowed down significantly.

I hope that answered a few questions....

14. Plotinus

Looks great. I know writing pedia entries is a terrible chore - looks like you're well on the case.

15. beboy

beboy Ut tensio sic vis

Yep, that seems pretty well organized! :) I have a great respect for you modders who make a complete Civilopedia. As Plotinus said once, it's the true key for the atmosphere of the mod. On my side, I never had the patience complete the Civilopedia, and hence, I never finished a mod or scenario.

I'm really looking forward for this mod Hikaro. I know nothing about Final Fantasy, but judging by the quality of your units, I'm sure it's going to be a very nice one, if not one of the best ever!!
    Keep on the good work!!:goodjob:

16. pocaks

pocaks Chieftain

where can i go to download this final fantasy mod pack?

17. DJ Bonebraker

It hasn't been released yet, since it still needs quite a bit of work done yet... I only have 1 of the civilizations's civilopedia entry done, and need to refine some of the units entries as well.

In addition, I still have 1 civ left to add, and many civs still need unique and/or flavor units to be made for them as well.

Last, but not least, I need to work out the modern tech tree as well as set up the factions with game specific unique techs that allow for a unique summoning tech which allows a unique small wonder that generates a powerful unique summoned unit.

Currently, the only factions that are 100% finished are (as in they have all unique, flavor and king units and a custom LH):

Dark Warriors, Forbidden Land Eureka, Vector Empire, Returners, and AVALANCHE, Orcs and Dwarves.

The factions needing only ONE thing to be complete (UU, Flavor unit, King unit or LH) are:

Paramekian Empire, Sassoon, Baron, Tycoon, Shinra Corporation, Alexandria, Al Bhed, Church of Yevon (though I may make/commission a flavor unit line for the FF X civs), Jeuno, San d'Oria, Ordalia, Ivalice, Bervenia, and Alfitiria.

The civs needing two or more components to be finished are:

Light warriors, Fynn Alliance, Galbadia, Garden, Esthar, Lindblum, Bastok, Windhurst, and Selbina.

In addition, I'm going to be re-doing some of my crappier old LHs, including Cloud Strife (I7ve found better figures, hair and props), the Star Sibyl (ditto there), and making two Final Fantasy VII LH for Magus77's Final Fantasy VII scenario (Aeris and Yuffie). After that, I'll be making the last UU I need for Galbadia (Galbadian Soldier), the tarutaru mage flavor unit line for Windhurst, and a few other needed units here and there.

As you can see, I've got my work cut out for me.

18. PSmurf888

PSmurf888 Chieftain

quick question: are the civs going to have natural starting feelings for each other? that sounds really weird, so for example, will Avalanche and Shinra not like each other from the start, or will everything be neutral?

19. DJ Bonebraker

I created 2 general flavors for civs: Good and Evil.

If a civ was evil for most or all of a game, they get the Evil tag, and if a civ was good for most or all of a game, they get the Good tag. If the civ changed sides halfways through the game (like Alexandria from FF IX), they get no flavor (essentially Neutral). I have set it up so that Evil civs will start with a maximum favorable stance towards other Evil civs, and a maximum unfavorable stance towards Good civs. Good civs are max starting favorable towards each other, and max unfavorable against Evil civs. Neutral civs, of course start at the default towards all civs.

The game mechanics, however, can sometimes see cases of "Adversity making for strange bedfellows" Case in point: I was playing as Windhurst (a good civ), and as a result of some wars amongst the other civs, I found myself forced to form a military alliance with the Forbidden Land (Evil civ) to survive, and we remained on extremely good terms right up to the end of the game. I've actually had alliances with Shinra when playing as AVALANCHE, because it was us against the whole world as well.

20. Plotinus

How have you done this? I thought that - other than locked alliances/wars - there's no way to tinker with civs' attitudes to each other at the start.