Final Fantasy Mod Progress Thread, Part III

goody huts leaving resources behind when you pop them..
Sounds like a technique that could be useful to a lot of mod makers. Wish I knew how to do it.:mischief:

As to FF - I've got plenty of Sumatra & half a library unread. :coffee:

Rice: FP, Grassland & Plains
Sugar: Grasslands, Plains & Hills
Cattle: Grasslands & Plains
Exotic Fruit: Ancient Forest
Moogles: Forest
Striped Apples: Forest
Game: Forest, Ancient Forest, Swamps & tundra
Gold: Mountains & Hills
Silver: Mountains & Hills
Peat: Swamp
Sea Serpents: Coast & Sea
Fish: Coast & Sea
Kelp: Coast & Sea
Pearls: Coast
Farm Village: *Special* (it is not placed, but rather created when you pop a goody hut and get cash... I set it as the "default money resource", so farm villages can show up anywhere there's a goody hut)

How's that for the updated resource list?

I'm currently using the Wheat graphics for rice, but if anyone can suggest a good rice icon, I'll use it. Also, I'm going to be using the Quench fruit as the "Exotic Fruit" icons instead of the bananas. The Moogle will be Blue Monkey's Moogle icon from his Moogle icon pack, the pearls & peat will come straight outta the WH 2.5 mod, the silver will probably be ripped from one of the conquests scenarios, and I'll cook up something for the striped apples.

Edit: @Blue Monkey: that's how you do it: just set the "Default Money Resource" box in the general settings tab to any resource, and you'll get that resource everytime you get cash from a goody hut.... I originally found out about that in the "Da Rules Explained" thread or similar...

I decided to implement this in my mod for three reasons: 1) That was just too cool of a feature to waste, 2) it gave me a way to have "permanent" goody huts (i.e. the minor tribes pay you cash for the secrets of agriculture and decide to settle down at that location and start farming), and 3) Having a +2-3 food resource pop up on a mountain can considerably improve prospects for settling an area.

Also, since I have the default "evil" tech allow sacrificing for culture, I've decided to balance things out a bit by giving something to the other alignments that allow them to do something earlier than they normally would.....

Here's kind of what I'm thinking:

Evil: Allows sacrifice and (once you build a shrine in a city), Chaos shrines (basically acts like a second shrine, but costs the same as a temple and is flagged as religious)... I figured that their only being able to build a 2-happiness improvement that doubles sacrifice much later than churches that good and neutral civs get was a bit much of a handicap early on..... Although I could just bump up the happiness for the Yevon Temples to equal that of churches.

Neutral: Allows sea trade (or something else commerce related)... That way, using those suicide galleys early on and/or building the Morhen Lighthouse REALLY pay off for Neutral factions. :D

Good: Not sure.... Maybe give them the ability to eliminate disease from flood plains (although that may be game breaking).... Have to think about this for a while.

Oh, and here's Rufus Shinra giving the good guys "what for":

The Moogle will be Blue Monkey's Moogle icon from his Moogle icon pack
You have no idea how warm and fuzzy that makes me feel!:D

Now if I could just get someone to make a SteamPunk Moogle UU.:p

You have no idea how warm and fuzzy that makes me feel!:D

Well, that resource was WAY too good to waste, besides which, I realized I needed to have moogles in the game somehow, otherwise I won't be able to call it "Final Fantasy" :lol:

Now if I could just get someone to make a SteamPunk Moogle UU.:p

I don't even know where to BEGIN searching for the props and figures to make such a unit...:eek: That's one of the reasons I don't have any moogle units in the game. ;)

I don't even know where to BEGIN searching for the props and figures to make such a unit...:eek: That's one of the reasons I don't have any moogle units in the game. ;)
Find out what kind of pizza Sandris likes & you could probably have a Moogle civ. :lol: In a week. :crazyeye:

Oh, I also had the following idea: Have all the bonus and strategic resources also allow the construction of city improvements in cities that have the resource in the radius that have certain bonuses (somewhat like the Age of discovery conquest), and produce some kind of "Goods Shipment" flag unit, if appropriate (which should still work in non-VP scenarios, but, IIRC, you'll only get the cash), with certain pirate type UUs able to "slavage" trade goods from defeated enemies....

Some examples (I'll have to wait until I get home to make sure I have a complete list):

Here's the complete list. All are self-sustaining (0 maint) unless otherwise noted:

Strat:
Hot Springs: already have two buildings that can only be produced in their radius, so they're already taken care of.
Chocobos: Chocobo Ranch: Boosts Production
Iron: Foundry, Boosts Production, and produces Treasure every 20-25 turns
Saltpeter: Munitions Plant, Boosts Production and Allows Veteran units, costs 2 maint, and can explode
Coal: Coal Mine: Boosts tax output and produces Treasure every 20-25 turns
Oil: Refinery, Boosts tax output, produces treasure every 10-15 turns, and can explode
Rubber: Rubber Plantation, Boosts Tax output and produces treasure every 20-25 turns
Mythril: Mythril Mine, Boosts Tax output and produces treasure every 10 turns
Materia: ?
Relics: Archaeological Dig, Boosts Science
Goblin (village): Goblin Inventor, boosts Science
Giant Spiders: Spider Ranch, Autoproduces Bark Spider every 15 turns
Bangaa: ?
Dinosaurs: Dino Ranch, autoproduces Deinonychus every 15 turns

Lux:

Sake: Brewery, makes 1 person happy (but 0 culture), boosts tax output, costs 2 maint.
(medicinal) Herbs: Apothecary, Increases science, produces treasure every 20-25 turns
Gems: Gem Mine, boosts tax output, produces Treasure every 10-15 turns (have to see how that's was handled in the Age of Discovery scenario)
Incense: ?
Spices: Spice Market, boosts tax output, produces Treasure every 10-15 turns
Elephants: Ivory Carver, boosts tax output, produces Treasure every 10-15 turns
Silks: Silk Weaver, boosts tax output, produces Treasure every 10-15 turns
Cocoa: Cocoa Plantation or Chocolate Factory, boosts tax output and produces treasure every 10-15 turns

So what do you think about that idea?

Also, here's the tentatively final bonus resource list:

Game
Cattle
Rice
Gold
Exotic Fruit
Oasis
Sugar
Moogles (boost production and trade in forests)
Qu Village (boosts food and trade in Marsh squares)
Farm Village
Sea Serpents (sea and coast)
Fish (sea and coast)
Kelp (sea and coast)
Pearls (coast)

I already have Makou Reactors, but they merely require materia to be available, however, I guess it would make sense for them to require it in the city radius....

Also, thanks to Ukas and Rufus T. Firefly, as well as the WH fantasy mod, I can get many of the buildings, and I can create a full cultural set of Foundries by converting the Forge graphics from Age of Empires II... I can use the Cursed Pit building icons for the Mythril Mine, AOK market conversions for the Spice Market, Rufus' Gem mine for the Gem mine, Ukas' Medieval Brewery for the Sake Brewery, and IIRC, someone converted an Ivory Carver from Pharoh (Supa, I think), and a Silk Weaver's shop from Fate of the Dragon (chinese based game made by the same people who made Pharoh).

Not sure what to do about the following:

Rubber Plantation
Cocoa Plantation
Dino Ranch
Coal Mine
Munitions Plant (I think someone did that, though :confused: )
Goblin Inventor

Qu village - thats brilliant!!! Kinda what I was hoping you would say for my Mako idea, I forgot you thought of it first :blush:

Hmm.. having a Rice and a Sake resource? What about Tea? Or does that qualify as herbs? It could in RL, but in FF Alchemy is an actual science so.. why not just regular Tea as luxury?

I`d change Kelp to Whales, but that`s just me, I just love to see a fat, juicy whale resource..

Anyway, why does every resource have to give you a special building? Skip a few.. But keep the Qu village. I love it :D

Well, as I said before, it would be quite easy to replace the rice with Corn as the food bonus resource, and it would even have some Final Fantasy Canon involved: One of the food items (for restoring health, etc) in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was called "Round Corn" (basically corn with short, fat ears that were about as wide as they were long), and IIRC, Corn showed up elsewhere...

It's either that or Gysahl Greens, which show up in all but a few of the games (and in FF IX, they were eaten pickled)

Also, the sea serpents replaced the whales, but I could put the Whales back in, since, now that I think about it, Whales (and dolphins) actually appeared in more of the FF games than sea serpents (Leviathan, excluded), but I am NOT using the default Firaxis whale resource... If all else fails, I'll convert the one from Civ II ToT...... It was much better looking, IMHO.

I was attempting to have all the resource buildings as a way to make certain aspects of the game more interesting... I.e. using HN units to raid enemy trading (stealing their treasures), and as a way to get some quick gold for your resources....

Although You're right about not having a building for all of them... I suppose only the ones that it would make sense for or would actually be trade commodities...

So that brings it down to these, then:

Iron: Foundry (makes sense, and I could even have a foundry a prerequisite for building the Bastok Metalworks SW, which currently requires Iron in the city radius anyways)
Materia: Makou Reactor
Hot Springs: Already has Hot Springs Resort and Geothermal Plant :)
Relics: Archaeological Dig, which can serve as a prerequisite for a Bone Village Great Wonder (I even have graphics prepared from when I was thinking about adding that earlier, but never gor around to it)
Mythril: Mythril Mine (definitely makes sense, since Mythril is so valuable)
Coal: Coal Mine (again, makes perfect sense)
Chocobos: Chocobo Ranch.... No ifs, ands or buts about it either: This one's definitely canon, and for at least 3 games in the main series, too!
Gems: Gem Mine (again, a no-brainer, here... Gems are valuable, so having some kind of special improvement for them makes perfect sense)
Spices: Spice Market, again, makes perfect sense
Silks: Silk Weaver, Again, having this luxury produce a treasure makes sense, due to how valuable silks are

Here's an updated probable Bonus resource list... Gotta scrape up the Corn Resource (convert it from ToT, actually), whales and Qu Village, as well as modify the fruit resource (use my converted quench fruit from the ToT sci-fi scenario), and steal grab the pearls resource from the Warhammer mod:

Game
Cattle
Corn
Gold
Exotic Fruit
Oasis
Sugar
Moogles (boost production and trade in forests)
Qu Village (boosts food and trade in Marsh squares)
Farm Village
Whales (sea and coast)
Fish (sea and coast)
Kelp (sea and coast)
Pearls (coast)

Ok, here's the potentially final list of FF resources:

Top Row:
Chocobos, Iron, Saltpeter, Coal, Oil & Rubber

2nd Row:
Mythril, Materia, Sake, Herbs, Gems, Incense

3rd Row:
Spices, Elephants, Silks, Relics, Whales, Game

4th Row:
Fish, Cattle, Corn, Gold, Exotic Fruit, Oasis

5th Row:
Sugar, Kelp, Qu Village, Hot Springs, Cocoa, Moogles

6th Row:
Farm Village, Goblins, Giant Spiders, Bangaa, Dinosaurs, Pearls

Resources by class:

Strategic: (Food, Shields, Commerce)

Iron: (0,1,1)
Saltpeter: (0,1,1)
Coal: (0,2,1)
Oil: (0,1,2)
Rubber: (0,0,2)
Mythril: (0,2,1)
Materia: (0,2,3)
Hot Springs: (1,0,1)
Relics: (0,1,3)
Chocobos: (1,1,1)
Dinosaurs: (2,1,0)
Giant Spiders: (0,1,2)
Goblins: (1,1,1)
Bangaa: (2,0,1)

Luxury: (Food, Shields, Commerce)

Sake: (1,0,1)
Herbs: (1,0,1)
Gems: (0,1,3)
Incense: (0,0,2)
Spices: (0,0,2)
Elephants: (1,1,2)
Silk: (0,0,3)
Cocoa: (1,1,1)

Bonus: (Food, Shields, Commerce)

Game: (2,0,0)
Cattle: (2,1,0)
Corn: (2,0,0)
Sugar: (1,0,1)
Exotic Fruit: (1,0,1)
Oasis: (2,0,1)
Gold: (0,0,4)
Moogles: (0,2,1)
Qu Village: (2,0,1)
Farm Village: (2,0,1)
Fish: (2,0,1)
Whales: (1,2,1)
Kelp: (2,1,0)
Pearls: (0,0,3)

Of course, since I made the Corn and Qu village resource, I'm goint to have to update my fantasy Resources.pcx that I have available for download....

That's supposed to be reeds and swamp plants... Trust me on this, it should look quite fine on top of a marsh.... I tried it earlier with just using some of the sugar-cane resource (sugar cane looks a lot like most reeds, from a distance), and it didn't look too good...

I guess I could try using the Bamboo from AoK, but I'm not sure how that would look at that scale........

Maybe I could make the tops on the corn stalks brown so that they looked like cattails?

Check the edited post above your most recent one....

Besides, there is no rice resource, that I know of.... Only the wheat.

But you are definitely on to something with the grass huts:

Anywhere I can get it separately? I don't feel like spending 6 hours downloading a mod I'm not planing on playing just for one resource....

Although personally, I rather like the latest version. You see, I use my own greener swamp graphics, with bluer water, that I modified to fit with Snoopy's terrain, and the colors of this version fit in better with those (as well as Pounder's swamp graphics)... I don't use the brown version of the swamp that the WH fantasy mod uses, which, I admit, would make this graphic stick out like a sore thumb... With my swamp (or Pounder's), it should fit right in, especially since I changed the corn into Cattails (Pounders swamp actually features cattail clumps)...

Top Bottom