Final Fixes Reborn

Just wanted to give a heads up that it is not currently possible to load the most recent beta version (at 293) and the following errors are produced:

Pop-up XML error 1
Tag: PROMOTION_CHAIN_OF_COMMAND in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is: xml\Units/CIV4PromotionInfos.xml

Pop-up XML error 2
Index is -1 inside function

Pop-up XML error 3
Tag: PROMOTION_MASTER_SEARGENT in Info class was incorrect

then the screen goes black but if I ALT + TAB

Pop-up load error 4
GFC Error: failed to initialize the primary control theme

Pop-up load error 4
GFC Error: failed to initialize the primary control theme

then the game crashes.

Can someone look at this please? ;)

I'm using Win 10 64b with an NVIDIA 1080 all the lastest drivers etc.

the first three indicates that you're playing without the Bannor Chain of Command Module ( which is referenced in the main game, i need to fix that) but they're not the cause of your crash. the last two are unrelated but are the ones indicating the real problem.

it's a usual bug with most mods but there isn't a clearcut fix :
the mod is unable to load the custom theme it's supposed to be using . There may be several reasons :
- the usual is the the folder name does not correspon to the name indicated in the ini file (Ashes of Erebus)
-an issue with the cache
-an installation issue.

so try renaming the folder, deleting the cache in C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/My Games/BTS/, deleting the civilization4.ini file in My Documents/My Games/ BTS, and if nothing else works, reinstall mod and/or civ.

Hi black_imperator,

Thank you for this feedback and suggestions.

It is very bizarre indeed because I do have the BannorChainofCommand modelu loaded i.e. Load (any pass) in green in the AoELauncher.exe

For the GFC error I cannot think of anything else to do because I own the original game (on Steam) and followed the instructions on the first post of this thread to install tortoisesvn and then update the MODS folder with everything being ticked green. I have, off course, followed your advice two times - delete cache, delete ini, and reinstall (both mod and game) - but the result is the same.

Any other suggestions are welcome =)

can you show me what your Mods, Ashes of Erebus and Normal Modules folders look like ? ( also later tonight i'll be on the chat i mentioned in an earlier post, we can try to look into it live ^^)

Last edited:
Dragon turtles also start off as animal units now, and become beast uniits at a certain age. IMO they should be beast units from the moment they spawn. I also don't have a problem with fire breath doing 100% damage, I just think it should be limited to one tile and a random number of units, say from 1 to 6.

Hi black_imperator,

Off course - I compiled the printscreens of all three folders for your reference.
Also, I did try checking the chat [http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=##aoe] but it seems I cannot join because I need to be invited... maybe you can work your magic? ;)

EDIT: seems I managed to self-invite myself hehe
i fixed the invite issue. the option apparently activated itself. I'm there now if you want. (not seeing anything in your three folders, we'll have to look deeper).

Dragon turtles also start off as animal units now, and become beast uniits at a certain age. IMO they should be beast units from the moment they spawn. I also don't have a problem with fire breath doing 100% damage, I just think it should be limited to one tile and a random number of units, say from 1 to 6.
i'll see what i can do.

(Working on the leader personalities at the moment, there's plenty to do)

I'm sure there is plenty to do. :)

it's actually a bit of a mess, some tags don't work as expected from the name. for example, there's a tag named iWarmongerRespect for each leader. Intuitively, you want to put it high for warmongers and low for pacifists.

the way it actually works is that whenever the AI needs to know how two leaders think of each others, it takes the minimum between the two iWarmongerRespect as a base, meaning someone with a low value will be hated by all his neighbours ( and will hate all his neighbours), while two people with high values will like each other. (So basically at the moment, everyone loves Charadon and hates Ethne, and Ethne hates everyone ^^)

Hi black_imperator,

Thank you for your support on the chat and I am pleased that I can play Ashes of Erebus once again. Funny to think 'MODS' and 'Mods' could have such a big impact on the game launch... programming eh?

Ok, going to play a little to reminisce... some dwarves need my assistance conquering the world hehe

Merry Xmas and thank again for your invaluable assistance!!

it's actually a bit of a mess, some tags don't work as expected from the name. for example, there's a tag named iWarmongerRespect for each leader. Intuitively, you want to put it high for warmongers and low for pacifists.

the way it actually works is that whenever the AI needs to know how two leaders think of each others, it takes the minimum between the two iWarmongerRespect as a base, meaning someone with a low value will be hated by all his neighbours ( and will hate all his neighbours), while two people with high values will like each other. (So basically at the moment, everyone loves Charadon and hates Ethne, and Ethne hates everyone ^^)

That's a weird one. I'd change the data field/variable to iWarmongerPsyche, and invert the formula. That shouldn't entail too much work—search and replace, and changing the formula. Or even just iWarmonger, if that isn't the name of another variable.

While we're on the topic of diplomacy. As I see it, it is far more beneficial to be a part of the Under Council than it is to be a part of the Over Council, other than the potential to win outright. I'd like to see the diplomacy modifier for being a part of the Over Council increased, to compensate for the potential restrictions. I'd like to see it at least doubled.

A small wish list for broader alignments:

1. Alignment bonuses and penalties for choosing good/evil and order/chaos religions significantly increased. Right now they don't have much of an effect on alignment.
2. Significant chaos and evil alignment penalty for razing cities that aren't the holy cities for evil religions or don't contain "evil" wonders.
3. Significant alignment bonuses and penalties for wonders for both good/evil and order/chaos.
4. One time per city alignment bonuses and penalties for city spells, such as Unyielding Order.
5. Vampire feeding alignment penalty per population point.

While we're on the topic of diplomacy. As I see it, it is far more beneficial to be a part of the Under Council than it is to be a part of the Over Council, other than the potential to win outright. I'd like to see the diplomacy modifier for being a part of the Over Council increased, to compensate for the potential restrictions. I'd like to see it at least doubled.
i do have plans for both councils. i'll post some details tomorrow, i don't have my notes on hand right now. ^^
A small wish list for broader alignments:
1. Alignment bonuses and penalties for choosing good/evil and order/chaos religions significantly increased. Right now they don't have much of an effect on alignment.
2. Significant chaos and evil alignment penalty for razing cities that aren't the holy cities for evil religions or don't contain "evil" wonders.
3. Significant alignment bonuses and penalties for wonders for both good/evil and order/chaos.
4. One time per city alignment bonuses and penalties for city spells, such as Unyielding Order.
5. Vampire feeding alignment penalty per population point.
1. Agreed
2. i need to write some code giving an alignment value for a city, deciding what happens when it is razed ^^ that could also give a way for an ai to choose its targets.
3. agreed
4,5 agreed.
I also want to remove some of the alignment restrictions on events to change them into aligmnent modifiers. At some point i'l also remove the diplo effect of lawful/chaotic to replace it with an effect on cities.

Sounds amazing.

More thoughts:

1. Alignment bonuses/penalties for diplomatic actions relative to civilizations of a particular alignment would be interesting as well. Something like [good/evil rating of target]*[action alignment modifier].

2. Every point of traded mana should have a base alignment bonus/penalty. ie. -10 good/evil for death mana; -10 order/chaos for chaos mana; 0 for nature mana; -5 good/evil, -5 order/chaos for entropy; +10 order/chaos for law mana, 0 for sun mana; 0 for earth mana; -5 order/chaos for fire mana; etc.

More thoughts, re. diplomacy:

1. Instead of only losing points for refusing to go along with trade embargoes, etc., there should be a bonus (perhaps at half the rate of the negative) in attitude with the leader you refused to go to war with, or enter into a trade embargo against, etc. It could show in the diplomatic tally as something to the effect: "You have been a faithful friend: +1"

the first three indicates that you're playing without the Bannor Chain of Command Module ( which is referenced in the main game, i need to fix that) but they're not the cause of your crash. the last two are unrelated but are the ones indicating the real problem.

it's a usual bug with most mods but there isn't a clearcut fix :
the mod is unable to load the custom theme it's supposed to be using . There may be several reasons :
- the usual is the the folder name does not correspon to the name indicated in the ini file (Ashes of Erebus)
-an issue with the cache
-an installation issue.

so try renaming the folder, deleting the cache in C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/My Games/BTS/, deleting the civilization4.ini file in My Documents/My Games/ BTS, and if nothing else works, reinstall mod and/or civ.

Hi black imperator,

I am experiencing the exact same issue? Can you please let me know how you were able to fix this?

From what i gathered, the mod folder was not installed in the correct folder, it should go in the Mods folder that is in the game installation folder : Steam/steamapps/common/Sider Meier Civilization 4 / Also, ensure that the Mods folder in there is called Mods and not MODS, some stuff is cases sensitive and it seems steam may misinstall it.

Trade Weirdness:

1. Why does the a.i. not value reagents? Not only does reagent add two health when combined with herbalists, but they are needed to upgrade arcane units, and they tend to be rarer than most other resources. IMO, the a.i. should value reagents almost as highly as military resources like horses and metals.
2. Why is the a.i. only ever interested in one of each mana type? Certain mana types they should want as much as they can get of, and the others they should want as many as four to provide the free spell promotions.
3. Why does the a.i. hate ivory? I understand that in regular Civ, ivory is a tainted resource. Should it be that way in a fantasy mod? IMO, probably not, unless we are trying to make some kind of statement ourselves, in which case one of the Over Council resolutions should be to end the ivory trade.

Top Bottom