1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fixes Reborn

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Ronkhar, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Bahmo

Bahmo King

Well okay, but then, what file do I edit? I remember reading a few pages back that in order to help diagnose errors, the game should be configured to auto-save every turn, and display python errors. Where is that configured?

2. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

It should be the civilizationiv.ini file, set the value of HidePythonExceptions to 0.

The file path should be something like C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword. Or you can just run a search for civilizationiv.ini on your computer and make sure to go for the one in the BtS folder.

3. Bearmarshal

Bearmarshal Chieftain

Note that Windows per default hides the file extensions of files which it knows how to open, so the file will probably just look like it's named "civilizationiv" to you. Its icon is a sheet of paper with a single gear on the lower left corner, and Windows probably describes it as "Configuration Settings".

4. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Somge good points, i'll think about it.

On the hippus, i'm not really sure i want to give them mounted UU. Without any unique, they already have the best mounted units in the game. I'd rather add mounted to another line. Settlers is one possibility, mage is another. For the mage, i envision a Mage on a chariot led by a ridden horse, would that be in any way possible, PPQ ?

So on the whole siege discussion, i've seen two points being made here.

One, siege weapons need a clearer use. Since there's basically three stats that matter here ( collateral damage, bombard str and mobility), we could have a basic catapult opening three upgrades, one for each stat they rely on.

Second, the magical defenses. I really like the idea, but we need to clarify some points :
    Currently we have two kind of defenses :
    -core city defense, increased with size and culture level, can be bombarded by everyone with bombard ability, can be ignored by no one when attacking the city.
    -building defense, increased by building defensive buildings, can be bombarded by everyone with bombard ability, can be ignored by gunpowder units.

Several questions come to mind for the magic defenses, can they be bombarded by everyone, can anyone ignore them when attacking, do they stop non-damaging enemy spells too ?, do we need to change some stuff about the existing defenses ? do we need other types of defenses ?

In addition, we can imagine buildings that would decrease the effective str of bombardments, causing the siege to take longer to bring the defenses to 0.
    (Also, i want to look at how collateral damage is organized, but having defenses decrease collateral damage seem like a good idea)

I'll get to your save as soon as i get my coding computer back from the repair shop.

That's the demonic python bug. If it's recurring in following games, try unloading the mod, starting a play now game in vanilla, start the mod again and start a play now game. Some people had it temporarily disappear that way.

5. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

How compatible are the scenarios from FFH with the current stable version of this mod?

6. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

There's probably some amount of python work that needs to be done.

7. PPQ_Purple

In other words not. Basically all I care about is if I can reliably play them or not.

8. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

at the moment no. i do intend to make them compatible when i have some time

9. PPQ_Purple

Basically I've decided to start a new playthrough of the Decius line of scenarios tomorrow so I just wanted to know what I should use.

10. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

re- bombarment :
    you forgot that shadow II (?) or I ? enabled to counter building defenses (enabling units to act like gunpowder units ... a bit strong IMO).

thanks for the tip for "demonic bug"
    will that solve both the "aeron chosen given on a melee unit in turn 1" AND the "barbarian event that arrives very often but has 2 options that do nothing" ?

cheers

11. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Good point on the shadow thing, i had forgotten about it. Yeah, the tip (if it works) will fix all symptoms of the demonic python bug (note that if someone has an artistic vibe, i would love a fanart of a demonic python-bug).

12. kaapteeniii

kaapteeniii Chieftain

I thought Shadowwalk only nullified terrain defenses, like Forests, Hills and Forts?

13. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

I'm a bit lost on the effect of which spell depending on which modmodmod..
    however, from memory shadowalk "negate building defense". The idea is that the unit blur into the shadow and are not seen by the guards present on the walls / cannot be targeted.

it was proposed as an alternative for people not (being able to) building cats or fireballs.

honestly, for me it has always been bullsh*t. It's very strong for using only 1 spell cast.
    However it's somehow limited by the fact that it "only" acts on building defenses... and not on cultural defenses.
    thus : it is both OP in new cities (which you boosted by building palissade and earth wall), and of low interest for big cities where you have 80% cultural defense and only 10-20% building defense.

however, it's possible that this had been amended in recent AoE change

EDIT: the only xml I have here, dating jan 2014, states that shadowwalk has been modified to also introduce immunity to defensive strikes (but it is still immunity to building defense)

14. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

it's also the case in the most recent version.

15. kaapteeniii

kaapteeniii Chieftain

Well, today I learned a new thing.

Another D'tesh related thing I noticed in my most recent game; you can feed summoned creatures to D'teshi Fort Commanders for free xp. Probably not intended?

16. Bearmarshal

Bearmarshal Chieftain

I can't seem to access the SVN repository. Any idea of what's up, BI?

17. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

sourceforge servers have been down today.

18. Lugiafan123

Lugiafan123 Chieftain

Found a glitch using the most current non-beta version. From what I know its a known glitch but the game crashes after turn 368 no matter what I do

19. PPQ_Purple

Could you maybe tell us what you've found in particular? There is literally nothing useful we can get from a bug report that literally does not explain the bug in question.

At the very least what you should do is provide a short description of the problem in question, preferably including not just the symptoms (in your case the game crashing) but also the exact steps you went through in order to produce them. The purpose of the later is to allow the developers to replicate the problem so that it can be annualized. Also a save game just prior to the crash is excellent.

Saying this as someone who is an actual industry programmer.

Samson likes this.
  20. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Playing as the Scions with the latest SVN, noticed a couple of things:

1) In the tech tree, technologies that I can't research (basically the religion techs) don't appear at all, rather than being colored red. Not a big deal, but not sure if it was intended or not.

2) More important, I can't adopt the civic "Glory" despite having researched the requisite tech, Engineering. It appears in the list of available Civics, but with no icon next to it allowing it to be selected. The same is true of the "Religion" civic (yes, I know the Scions can't adopt a state religion, but might like the +50% culture).