1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fixes Reborn

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Ronkhar, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Phoenixblood

Phoenixblood Chieftain

I have been following this thread for ages, having gained a lot of enjoyment from the mod so far. I read recently that a new stable version is going to be released once the last few bugs are ironed out. I know these things take time but I play multiplayer quite regularly and so me and my friends tend to stay away from the SVN, but we dont want to start a new game if a new stable version is out soon, is there any sort of rough ETA for when the next stable version is out? (funny side note: the description in the installation section probably needs updating, as it states there are several months between updates on the stable version, despite the fact the last stable version was out in 2014). Me and my friends really appreciate all the hard work you do on the mod, we just want to know if 'soon' is a couple of weeks/months from now, or wether we have enough time to start our next game before it comes out, if you dont know at all, thats ok too. Thanks again :)

2. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

I know I'm nittpicking but lo and behold :
    But I can see were your argument comes from... you are right, in the most cases cataphracts were "melee" only.
    I guess I linked too much my understanding of cataphracts to the pseudo-historical novels were they were most likely Sagittarii Clibanarii.

I still like the idea of Cataphracts : Archer-knights.

(NB: from my understanding Dragoon are Mounted infantery : able to charge, with sword / saber like cavalry, but dismounting before firing musket volley )

3. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

It is my understanding that cataphract were often employed together with or even in the same formation as horse archers. Which would explain why the sources speak of them as archers. Some of them might well have been and it might have been some sort of mixed formation.

But I am NOT a historian and I don't really know enough of them to have an educated opinion though.

Personally though I don't really see a big problem with interpreting them as horse archer + knight for the purpose of fantasy.

I would however caution about the idea of having a high strength, high mobility unit capable of ranged attack on top of all things. Might just be a tad difficult to balance so that it does not end up breaking balance or making knights or archers obsolete.

As for dragoons, it is my understanding that the basic definition is just strait up mounted infantry. Like, basically motorized infantry only with horses. They would ride around between battles and than dismount, leave their horses in camp and fight as regular infantry.

But like of course, historically the line between them and stuff like the Hussars got muddied so you had armies using dragoon regiments as just light cavalry. And you had stuff like light and heavy dragoons and god knows what.

But like they aren't really horse archers and would definitively not be equivalent to the cataracts in a way that would facilitate a UU style equivalence.

4. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

you probably have time to start a new game. I don't have a set release date for the next version as the main bug in it is proving difficult to track and kill and i do not want to release a proper version with that thing in it.

5. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

sqlite[S8]: attempt to write a readonly database

help. i'm just trying to do svn update... :(

6. Winter Warrior

Winter Warrior Chieftain

7. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

There have been issue with sourceforge during the week end, which seem to have been resolved. Does it work better ?

What modules were you using ?

8. Winter Warrior

Winter Warrior Chieftain

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

The reported conflict is an error from the module manager. I haven't had time to look into its code to understand why it seems to think there's an issue. (I was asking because i need to know the module list to open the save ^^)

10. Phoenixblood

Phoenixblood Chieftain

So, I decided to try the latest SVN, and followed the instructions, I got the SVN to download (after having to tweak the folder permissions) and there are now several problems with it, my connection drops from time to time, and last I checked, it failed to update, but now whenever I do an SVN update it says everything is fine. However, whenever I start the launcher I get 'Could not find a part of the path 'myashesdirectoryhere\Private Maps, then when I launch the game with the launcher, I get another error 'GFC Error: failed to initialize primary control theme' and the game crashes before it even starts properly, I dont know how to check if I have all the files (directory is ~2.91GB) and if I dont have everything, I dont know how to get SVN to realise it, what do?

11. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

svn still not letting me update.i hope sourceforge gets this fixed soon.

Phoenixblood, is the directory path correct? mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Ashes of Erebus then all aofe files.if you have eg. .../Ashes of Erebus/Ashes of Erebus it will fail.

12. Phoenixblood

Phoenixblood Chieftain

cthom, my directory path is basically the same as yours, but I am now fairly certain (after deleting and retrying) that the problem is that some files are missing, but I cant get the program to realise it, I have tried running the clean up and that hasnt helped

13. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Show me a screenshot your main AoE folder, please.

14. Phoenixblood

Phoenixblood Chieftain

Here you go, like I said, I compared to the old install (backed up and renamed somewhere else), and there are files missing, but running the svn update just says everything is fine, and I dont know how to get it to realise it needs to download new files AoEDirSS.png

15. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Let's try something. Create a new folder, in which you put the Assets folder you've got here, and then try a new checkout on that new folder, it should detect the files already in Assets and add the rest.

16. Phoenixblood

Phoenixblood Chieftain

That didnt work, now I just have an assets folder, and a code folder and nothing else, the context menu lets me SVN checkout, but it now only has the green tick next to the code folder, it seems to ignore the assets folder

17. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

what's inside the code folder ?

18. Phoenixblood

Phoenixblood Chieftain

Aha, I see, everything seems to be inside the code folder, and when I re-arranged everything into the right places, everything seems to work, thanks for the help :D

19. Phoenixblood

Phoenixblood Chieftain

Ok, new problem, I can start a game just fine, but I cannot load it again, the game CTD's when I try to load my save or any of the Autosaves (even the turn 1 autosave), I have attached the saves (the save, turn 1 auto, and most recent autosave, I can supply the intermediary saves too if you want)

Attached Files:

20. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei Chieftain

is there any way to play the FFH campaign maps using Ashes?