1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fixes Reborn

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Ronkhar, Apr 17, 2013.

1. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

turns out i can also play on 'big and small' map. i wonder if there's a problem with maps that have .mst extension?

2. black_imperator

black_imperator Chieftain

i've done a number of tests with other people in the discord and i've figured out at least part of the issue. I'll be commiting something later today that should help a bit. (also with more detailed logs to help me find the remaining issues)

3. black_imperator

Revision 339 up, please tell me if it helped.

4. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

looks like it's working now, playing on a fractured world map atm. the initializing still looked like it took longer than usual, though. that might just be me...

---

ok, i've played some games now, and it's definitely flakey on initializing. If i lleave it be, it usually ctd's, but if I alt-tab to desktop and back a few times it's like that give the initializing a 'kick' to keep it awake. very occasionally, it'll ctd on loading a save, but if i choose 'load last save' on the launcher, that seems to work ok.

damn, forgot to add- lycanthrope + subdue animal is giving two captures again, one lycanthrope, one normal creature.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  5. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

the left hand exception covered the other, i only found it by chance. i don't know why they're the same.

Attached Files:

6. Vespers84604

Vespers84604 Chieftain

Hello, I love this mod and I love that you are still supporting it! Query, any plans on making the Jotnar a playable faction again? I always liked them.

7. black_imperator

They're the same because the same bug happened twice in a turn. From what i can see, it looks like the Forest Push action from the blighted forest failed ( either because happening to an immobile unit or a dead one, i added some logs for upcoming version to see what happens better)

Hi, and thanks for the kind comments. Concerning the Jotnar, they're already available in the beta, though not activated by default ( you'll find them in the inactive module folder) as they're waiting for a revamp to make them a bit more balanced.

8. Go2got

Go2got Chieftain

Hey all, is there a way to reduce late game lag/delays?

9. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Chieftain

I've also been wondering about the late game slowdown. I'm wondering if part of it might be attributable to the new Crime system. I'm not a programmer, but it seems reasonable to think that adding a new mechanism with multiple calculations each turn would slow things down, especially as players build more cities, more crime-reducing or crime-increasing cities, more crime-fighting units, necessitating more and more calculations.

Any possibility of making Crime optional, perhaps with a "No Crime" option? I'm sure adding Crime to the mod took a lot of work, and I'm sure there are players who enjoy having it in their games, so of course I'm not asking for it to be removed, just a Custom Game option to turn it off (or maybe a Custom Game option to turn it on?).

10. black_imperator

the crime stuff is unlikely to be the cause of the slowdown, as i made sure that it be very light on calculations. I'm currently setting up logs to investigate the slowdown further (well as soon as i get some free time from work).

As for a no crime option, i'm not fond of having too many such options, they're a pain to balance. (Especially with the further plans for the crime stuff, involving it in rogue units and esus). I'll think about it.

11. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Chieftain

Fair enough. As I said, I'm not a programmer, so wasn't sure how a new mechanism might affect the pace of the game. And I'll defer to you on the balance issues of adding too many Custom Game options.

12. azatote

azatote Chieftain

I stand in favor of adding a "no crime" option. I might not be very well balanced indeed, but it is no big issue in my opinion, as long as the default option set is balanced.
    In the current game options, "wild mana" for example is way more useful to the Amurites than the dwarves, and "end of winter" is completely OP for the Illians.
    My interpretation is that custom game options are there for players who want an original game experience, at their own risk of breaking the balance.

13. Go2got

Go2got Chieftain

Yeah, but he showed me a way to lower the impact of crime by easily changing its increase with city size growths. I tested the games lag with different values, including zero, with various game options and victory conditions enabled. No matter what the crime rates were, or game options enabled, game lagginess tended to stay the same regardless. This is all very basic because I didn't test it any advanced method, just a fan trying out different things. Lol

If you want different "flavors" of crime enabled right now in an easy way to implement, I highly recommend changing it.

14. Go2got

Go2got Chieftain

Ha found it. I don't know if he wants this going around, this is what he said to do/change if crime really bothers you.

"(As a sidenote, you can already deactivate it through one line of xml if you really want to : in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file, search CRIME_RATE_PER_POP and replace the value with 0. It'll stop any crime increase from population, making it irrelevant)"

And the best part, what you can make zero you can make 1, 2 or 3, so you can experiment with the level of crime that impacts the game. Keeping it active but less in the front of the game experience.

azatote and black_imperator like this.
  15. fdrpi

fdrpi Chieftain

I just tried to try this again, but it's been crashing to desktop (no error messages) whenever I try to start a game. I've updated to the latest version via SVN, and I'm not quite sure what's happening. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: It appears to be the map ctd mentioned on the previous page and the top of this one. So good to play this game again!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  16. Edish

Edish Chieftain

Just got back into a patch 339 campaign, and the annihilating Wraiths are still a thing - this time supported by the Stygian guard. Around turn 200 (on epic speed) the last Chislev (ranked 4) city feel to two Wraits and meerly 20 turns later the same two Wraits ended the Clan, which was the nr 2 ranked civilization, this time supported by two Stygian guards. I count three Wraits and two Stygian, and they wreck everything. One Wraits just froze eventually, and stands inside Archos lands chilling. Would it ever awake Archos would be quickly doomed. I managed to kill the two Stygians with my main army, and luckily the two Wraits weered south to burn the Scions second city in just 4 turns. Soon I will be alone in the world.

Possible causes:
    1: Foremost, Wraits are still way overpowered early for the AI to deal with them, after some early warrior kills their leveling makes them Gods. Maybe disable their ability to level or heal would solve it (fits lore-wise).
    2: It seems that some capitals go to about 9 pop, then down to 3 - probably due to rampant crime. Thus giving the AI no chance to build proper defenders. (I struggle badly myself with crime. Warfare tech for melee leveling building and the Form of the Titan wonder is now almost a needed beeline...)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  17. WhiteHand

WhiteHand Chieftain

Greetings all, apologies if I sound nooby, this is my first post. First I'd like to throw some appreciation at the incredible modders who have worked so hard on this project, particularly the ones like black imperator who continue their work; thank you so much. From the community at large, I wanted to know about the current state of the game and playability of this iteration. I haven't played the game in a long time but there is a certain itch that ffh2 scratches for me that other games and sequels of civ still haven't been able to touch and I've been fiending for a flavorful and magical playthrough for a while now.

As I currently understand it (but most of my research was from yrs ago), for the smoothest performance with no game breaking bugs, more naval ai is still the modmod I should choose. However, after experiencing the incredibly cool mechanics of civs like the spider people or undead Dtesh and Patria, or the slavery one, MNai feels stale in comparison. Basically, are the bugs in this mod too rage inducing? I previously stopped playing because of crashes but this mod has always remained near and dear to my heart. How often do you guys crash and is it only mostly in the endgame? Are there any tips and tricks to reduce crashing? Any civs to disable? What other modmods would you recommend? I've seen some good arguments for Master or Mana and Wild Mana but never tried them.

I will definitely be downloading regardless out of pure nostalgia and respect for the work that continues to be put into this. However I'd like to know how attached I should get to my play through before I get too into it, and in particular the state of the endgame/victory stuff. Should I be playing fast games on small maps to finish without crashing? does the end of the world mechanic work satisfyingly for the sheaim and infernal? Anybody finish a Patria playthrough recently? they were the absolute coolest in my opinion; are their mechanics viable/not bugged in endgame?

Edit: just surfing this forum realized I am echoing some older posts almost word for word (pg 181) So I've probably already been answered, though any new input is always appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  18. black_imperator

I think that your game speed has something to do with it. I haven't seen anything nearly as deadly as what you're describing, either in wraith terms or in crime term. I'll do some runs in epic as soon as i have some time. For crime stuff especially, i've reexplained the system in the post fdrpi made yesterday. I'm still looking to make it more balanced.

Welcome !
    First, for a general description of the various ffh modmods, you can find it here : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-to-ffh-read-this-first.613977/

For AoE, there are two versions you can play; The latest release one, 14.11, which is mostly stable and the development one, through svn, which is more up to date, but is more prone to crashes (though there are a number of steps you can take to decrease the likelihood of those). In both cases, huge maps are more prone to crash than smaller ones yes.

As for your more detailed question, i'd say that the end of world mechanic is satisfying enough, but maybe could use a couple of more flashy bonuses for Sheaim/Infernals. The patrians are a bit messy but generally viable

19. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Chieftain

I don't know if I'm just experiencing a string of bad luck or if there's some problem with lair results -- epic lairs in particular. I've sent five ships to explore Aifon Isle and they've all been destroyed (I get the "none emerged alive" result). Five in a row? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Again, maybe I've just been unlucky in this particular game, but would be grateful if you looked into how lair results are done. Thanks.

20. black_imperator

hmmm i did reorganize the lair results to rebalance stuff. I'll check whether i made a mistake. Thanks for the report