Final Fixes Reborn

Yes, I see them as a peacefuly and harmony focussed builder Civ that tries to keep the lore and prevent the world being destroyed. It ´s not easy to find and give them something unique as other Civs have already grabbed much of the cake, the exploration bonus is more for the austrin.
If they get something it should be something fitting to them and makes them special, hmm.

Here are some Ideas, I hope I get the exact english translation as I play in german language ;-):

Bard (Hunter) Spirit 1 magic spell (access to "Inspire" Spell) , 3 Movement , maybe bonus to defence and malus to meleeattack
Storyteller (Champion) Soul 2 magic spell (access to "Hope" Spell)
Phoenix or Griffon (national unit -4 limit, can fly)
Titan (national unit -4 limit)

Hero: Avatar of Sirona, Angel bound to the capital, can ´t move or attack, bonus to health regeneation, can cure illness poison

Buildings: Temple of Sirona

Race trait : Lore keeper + 10% Science of science buildings + 10% birthrate of important persons

edit: As Elohims are carebears and known for aiding ppl, explored tribes could give them a choice of reward, ofc no technologies but maybe (idea token from Civ5 -Civ Schoschonen)
- science boost
- gold
- unit
- random

It's less a question of lore keeping to learn from it, and more of a religious-based protection. They're the closest thing to a monastic order. So the storytelling angle doesn't really work .
The explored tribe thing could work.

"What is a hero without good gear? - A peasant"

I ´ve another suggestion for a new technology/Ability: Crafting
It would be nice to have at least more items in the game to equip heroes and units and it would be nice if they can be crafted too. The tech could also included be in the already implemented craft tech, but maybe it would be to early to have access to crafted items. The craft list could be implemented similar like mercenaries where you can chose, the weapons, jewelery could have restrictions like for example "sword of doom + 2 Str, +2 Attackbonus + 1 poison " cost 500g + needs habit of 3x mana of entropy.

More items, yeah, i'm taking suggestions for more lair results (items or not ^^). There'll be more equipment options when i get to the guild rework too. But i'm not certain i want to add crafting as a mechanic. It's a bit outside the scope, i feel

Being unable to get bad events from dungeon will make your civ and your unit OP very fast. In short, you get 2str. 20% strength. 30% defence. Poison Immunity. Magic Immunity. Fear attack. 2 to dozen of 4str Dwarves. A golden age. An assortment of great persons for another golden age(s). All of these back to back and I'm not kidding, try giving one of your starting scout Hero, Adventurer and courage promotion with Worldedit to see what I'm talking about.

And I like the idea of crafting equipment for our units. However I think the game is very bloated as it is and should be cleaned up before we add any new things.

It's less a question of lore keeping to learn from it, and more of a religious-based protection. They're the closest thing to a monastic order. So the storytelling angle doesn't really work .
The explored tribe thing could work.

More items, yeah, i'm taking suggestions for more lair results (items or not ^^). There'll be more equipment options when i get to the guild rework too. But i'm not certain i want to add crafting as a mechanic. It's a bit outside the scope, i feel

Hmm, ok I guess a bit more religious class names like crusader, priest, devoted and "blessed" or "heaven sent" as civ trait (for example units are imune to fear and have convert 1 promotion) would fit more to this ppl then ;-)

Ok, I think the crafting items idea is not that bad, but it could also be a skill for one Civ for example mechanos or Dural, that are lacking in content too.

@ Joey
You ´re right about the bad event thing, I was more considering it would be nice to have none or less bad events but haven ´t thought t about the only good events that would happen instead, that would boost the civ too much, you´re right.

their current uu is the monk, which is currently represented by an oriental-like monk, but should really look like more like a western version. It should get an upgrade line at some point.

A few civs (Chislev, Cualli, Grigori, Mechanos) lack a Tier 1 Disciple unit that can create +20 Culture and quickly pacify a conquered city, which puts them at a disadvantage during war. (I'm feeling this acutely in my current game, since I'm playing as the Chislev and just captured a Lanun city which is now experiencing twelve turns of disorder about which I can't do anything.)

I've suggested in the past that these civs be given a low-level unit that can do the +20 Culture (or that one of their existing units be given this ability). The Chislev unit could be called a Medicine Man or Story Teller, the Cualli could get a Disciple of Agruonn, the Grigori maybe a Teacher, and for the Mechanos I would just give the ability to the Adeptus.

I remember you once wrote that you were thinking of getting rid of the +20 Culture burst altogether. I would prefer to keep it and extend the ability to the remaining civs, otherwise wars, especially in the late game, can become real slogs.

yeah, i really don't like that mechanic, it cheapens revolts.
If i ever end up cutting it, i would just be moving it to a module ( like i did for the Silver Circle wonder). In any case, i do agree that those civs should have it while it's around.

Hmm, ok I guess a bit more religious class names like crusader, priest, devoted and "blessed" or "heaven sent" as civ trait (for example units are imune to fear and have convert 1 promotion) would fit more to this ppl then ;-)

Ok, I think the crafting items idea is not that bad, but it could also be a skill for one Civ for example mechanos or Dural, that are lacking in content too.

@ Joey
You ´re right about the bad event thing, I was more considering it would be nice to have none or less bad events but haven ´t thought t about the only good events that would happen instead, that would boost the civ too much, you´re right.

Ok, here is my final thought about Elohim Balance:

Units:
Friar (Warrior) - Shield of Faith (Schild des Glaubens promotion) + 30% defence + 10% strenght (maybe other display graphic with a nice wooden stick to show it ´s religious claim ;-) )
Inquisitor (ranger) - demonhate 1, (maybe Just other graphic, and optional lowered attack bonus for a devence boost)
Monk - maybe shield of Faith promotion, or is it to OP?
Devoted (Champion) - demonhate 1 (maybe angel unit promotion too? )

Trait "heaven sent" - automatic conviction 1 promotion for "geweihete Einheiten" (holy or blessed units? Dunno english translation for the priest classes ^^) maybe a low culture bonus for cities

The Shield of faith promotion fits great for the elohim and I would like to see it for more of their units but maybe it ´s too op. Would also fit as racial trait but as said, it ´s a strong unit update so it ´s maybe better to keep it for a weak unit like the warrior.

I ´ve a question, I was really confused as I loaded my current game today and was interrupted in moving my units etc. automatically by end of turn. After a while I discovered a timer running on the right side of screen where I only have 2:15 minutes left for a finishing my turns before the round ends automatically. I guess I activated it somehow, where can I turn it off again?

I think the turn timer is meant as an option for multiplayer in vanilla civ4. Are you sure it appeared first when you loaded the game? Might it be that you had it from the start of the game and you just didn't notice because early game turns are short? You could try to reset the game options by launching a "play now" game.

As for the Elohim flavor, the Shield of Faith and Blessed promotions sound monastic indeed, but they are linked respectively to the Runes of Kilmorph and Order religions. I don't think it is a good idea to give the Elohim, who are not particularly oriented towards one religion (though the Empyrean is most likely their preferred one lore-wise), religion-specific promotions like that. I have no such issue concerning the demon-slaying promotion, though it might suit more the Bannor than the Elohim.

Do you play AoE in German? If so, I'd like some feedback about missing or incorrect translations, I haven't played AoE in German for a while.

I think the turn timer is meant as an option for multiplayer in vanilla civ4. Are you sure it appeared first when you loaded the game? Might it be that you had it from the start of the game and you just didn't notice because early game turns are short? You could try to reset the game options by launching a "play now" game.

As for the Elohim flavor, the Shield of Faith and Blessed promotions sound monastic indeed, but they are linked respectively to the Runes of Kilmorph and Order religions. I don't think it is a good idea to give the Elohim, who are not particularly oriented towards one religion (though the Empyrean is most likely their preferred one lore-wise), religion-specific promotions like that. I have no such issue concerning the demon-slaying promotion, though it might suit more the Bannor than the Elohim.

Do you play AoE in German? If so, I'd like some feedback about missing or incorrect translations, I haven't played AoE in German for a while.

Nah, the timer was just there as I loaded the game and hasn ´t been there before. I only play "own games" so I can make more settings for other civs, having all wonders in game and more events is nice too etc. but I played solo. I tried making a new game and there was no timer, also I took an older savegame from the current game and there was no timer. It was my intention that I enabled the timer somehow, but maybe it was just a bug, I did not found an option for it though. I deleted cache and patched again to the current SVN build, hopefully this timer thing won ´t happen again, otherwise I ´ll write a bug report ;-).

Too bad for the elohims, I really want to like and play them, but it seems the best parts of the cake have already been taken by other civs ;-).

Yeah I play in german, the translation is ok, some missing texts or not translated texts, I also recognized there are some new events with english texts for example the events when unit finds a demonic symbol and brakes it, or the event where you find some ragged ppl that join your cities.I ´m also not sure if something happen when they occur, I guess if you break the idol the armageddon counter might decrease, and the ragged ppl raise population of one city +1 ? I´ll try to watch it.
I can do some missing translations from english to german and post them here if you like. .-)

Not sure if this has been reported, but I updated the svn version of the game about 5 days ago (after playing on a copy that hadn't been updated for months)...

Bottom line: I'm no longer spawning Awakened units with the Scions. And that's a damned shame because I like playing that Civ a bunch; but building Awakened units in order to build the Civ has a crazy high cost. I do have the percentage value for Awakened spawn in the top left corner, and it changes accordingly each round. I've tested this with 4 games now, each time getting to turn 40+, and each time the Awakened value has stayed above 12%. I've never spawned an Awakened in 160+ turns of play using any of the Scion leaders. Thoughts?

Not sure if this has been reported, but I updated the svn version of the game about 5 days ago (after playing on a copy that hadn't been updated for months)...

Bottom line: I'm no longer spawning Awakened units with the Scions. And that's a damned shame because I like playing that Civ a bunch; but building Awakened units in order to build the Civ has a crazy high cost. I do have the percentage value for Awakened spawn in the top left corner, and it changes accordingly each round. I've tested this with 4 games now, each time getting to turn 40+, and each time the Awakened value has stayed above 12%. I've never spawned an Awakened in 160+ turns of play using any of the Scion leaders. Thoughts?

I think I read something like that before in that thread and it was signed as python bug. When you update the game or start a new game never forget to delete your Civ 4 cache files User/appdata/local/mygames/beyondthesword/cache (or wherever your game cache is) and start a "just play game" after that in the mod, to get all modifications running.
Then just play the game and everything is ok.

This is how I get it running at the moment, got no phyton bugs for ages (thanks god) just the game is crashing sometimes when loading a save or creating a new game (crashs at 20% loading screen mainly). But the current version is running very solid compared to the previous ones with the phython bugs. Thx to devs you got this main problem solved ;-)

Last edited:
I don't know how easy this is to program, but any chance of having Defensive Strikes reflected in Combat odds? I've lost units with odds of >99.99% because an enemy Defensive Strike has damaged my attacker by something like 80% or whatever. It may bean interesting mechanism, but the problem is that it makes the Combat odds misleading. Easiest would be to get rid of it altogether, but I'm sure there are players who like it. Maybe a Game Option to turn them off, if it's not too difficult to program? Or, as I said at the beginning, reflecting Defensive Strikes in the Combat odds.

Hi, just downloaded a clean new svn version. Started a game, and it crashes during loading. I activated some of the extra modules (iirc: Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Lizard-Art, Chislev Expansion, Silver Circle, Scion Healthcare, more arcane, MoM buildings and adv. workers) in the launcher, and was wondering if any of them are not working, or if the problem is something else?

Did anybody figure out a cause for late(r) game lag? Or settings/mods you run with that make the game less laggy overall?

i was not aware of the awakened issue. Can you activate python exceptions in your config.ini file to see if you get some error message ?

After multiple reloads, it seems I was just... unlucky? I'm now getting Awakened units with each leader of the Scions. Is it possible the chance of spawning these units was nerf'd at some point recently? Even when I make sure to keep my spawn percentage high through special buildings, it just seems very, very difficult to get those units to spawn. I feel like Awakened used to spawn much more often.

Did anybody figure out a cause for late(r) game lag? Or settings/mods you run with that make the game less laggy overall?
working on it, got a computer issue over the summer that slowed me down, and i've got a couple of busy work days before i can get into it more seriously
After multiple reloads, it seems I was just... unlucky? I'm now getting Awakened units with each leader of the Scions. Is it possible the chance of spawning these units was nerf'd at some point recently? Even when I make sure to keep my spawn percentage high through special buildings, it just seems very, very difficult to get those units to spawn. I feel like Awakened used to spawn much more often.
Nope, haven't touched the Scions in a very long while

Top Bottom