[Final Frontier] Far Beyond the Stars

Meshakhad

Chieftain
Well, based on the positive response I got to my first LP (“From Sea To Shining Sea”) I’ve decided to start another. This one will delve into much more unfamiliar territory: the “Final Frontier” mod.

Spoiler :

I’ve played this mod a few times before, so I’ll give you an overview. It’s a total conversion mod that moves the entire game into space. It has a completely new unit lineup and tech tree, as well as an original history. On the surface, it looks like a different game entirely.

That said, it does have its drawbacks. Mods like Rhys and Fall of Civilization and Next War add things to the vanilla game, and can largely be considered improvements. However, Final Frontier had to create a lot of its content from scratch, and didn’t have a large team or huge budget. There’s much less content here than in vanilla – fewer technologies, units, or factions. There are also a few design flaws that I take issue with. As a game, it is obviously inferior to Civilization IV. As a mod, it’s amazing.

Spoiler :

I’ve selected the Avowers faction. Factions in Final Frontier don’t share the same traits and differences as those in vanilla. There are no unique units or buildings. Instead, each faction leader has his own unique trait, and the different factions start with different technologies. Lu Tianqu, leader of the Avowers of Knowledge, gets +10% to research and double production of Universities and Research Labs. We also start with Radar Polymers.

Spoiler :

Now to determine the rest of the game settings. As there are only eight factions, and only one leader per faction, I’ve set the player count to eight, with one of each faction in play. I’ve gone with Marathon speed and Chieftain difficulty. Finally, I’ve selected Aggressive AI, because I find the normal AI to be rather passive.

Spoiler :

I still can’t believe it. Earth? Gone? It can’t be true. But it is. The evidence is clear. All of our communication systems are functioning, and none of them can make contact with Earth. Therefore, Earth is gone, or cut off somehow, which makes no difference. We have been left to fend for ourselves. Lu seems to have things under control, but he’s just the administrator. He’s not a politician. None of us are. We’re scientists. All we can do is evaluate the situation rationally, and act accordingly.

Journal Entry, Dr. Nigel Fenway, Department of Microbiology, January 11, 2302

The starting point for our game is that we’ve lost contact with Earth, which means our little research colony, RC-1, must fend for itself.

Oh, and all characters in this mod (save the faction leaders) will be named after various fictional characters. Cookies for the first to recognize each one!

Spoiler :

Gentlemen, as you all know, we’ve lost contact with Earth. Our colony is cut off, and this ship is the only vessel we have capable of interstellar travel. Therefore, Administrator Tianqu has ordered us to leave orbit and begin surveying the area surrounding the system, until such time as proper scout ships can be built. I have faith in every one of you, and I trust that you will perform your duties to the best of your abilities. Ensign, set a course.

Shipwide Address, Captain John Sheridan, ADS Sentinel

I start off with a single unit – a Planetary Defense Ship. These vessels are designed to protect planets, and get a huge bonus to doing so. I’ve named her the Sentinel, and sent her to explore the starting areas – at least until I get a scout ship. And she’s discovered my first resource – titanium.

Incidentally, I start production of a scout ship.

Spoiler :

I also need to choose my technology path. I decide to aim for the Knowledge value (I’ll explain that later) so I begin with Space Exploration.

Spoiler :

Nice! I’ve discovered a second resource (water) and found some credits in a shipwreck!

Spoiler :

I’ve discovered my second star system. This will be a good place to colonize later.

Spoiler :

Received: 0903 hrs, 2.13.2303
To: Administrator Lu Tianqu, RC-1
ADS Sentinel
Good news: we’ve found blueprints for a variety of light spacecraft in the wreck of an old ship. We should be able to use these to construct fighter squadrons.

I’ve found the secrets of Light Craft Manufacturing, allowing me to build squadron factories, fighter squadrons, and mining facilities.

Spoiler :

It has been over a year since the loss of contact with Earth. We can no longer keep going as before, pretending that this is just a temporary interruption. Henceforth, I am hereby reorganizing Research Colony 1 as an independent state under my personal authority. I hope to achieve this transition with a minimum of difficulty…

Speech by Administrator Lu Tianqu, February 25, 2303

I choose to adopt the new Monarchy policy, to improve production in my capital system (and my only system). Policies are the Final Frontier equivalent of civics.

Spoiler :

We’ve found more resources – oxygen and crystals!

Spoiler :

I’ve finished the scout ship. Now to do some more construction.

The thing is, construction works a little differently in Final Frontier. Each system has multiple planets, and buildings are built on individual planets. My capital planet, RC-1, started off with a Mining Facility, but I can build one on another planet – Demeter Taurus.

Spoiler :

I’ve completed my first scout ship. I name her the Magellan, and send her to explore that wreck. I also call the Sentinel home.

Spoiler :

I am genuinely proud to stand here, on the bridge of the first starship produced by Research Colony 1. Like the scientists in their labs, we will be seeking knowledge. Knowledge of space. We will answer the question, "What is out there?" We will chart the heavens, and discover our place in the universe.
Assuming the engines don't fall off the gorram ship, that is.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds, at the christening of the
ADS Magellan, February 10, 2304

I have developed Space Exploration, which enables the construction of Colony Ships and Planetary Defense Ships. I begin work on Planetary Construction. Also, if you did NOT recognize that reference, stop reading Let's Plays and go watch Firefly.

Found a wreck with some credits.

Spoiler :

There are a number of space hazards in Final Frontier. The most notable are supernovae and black holes. Supernovae knock off 75% of a ship’s total health every turn they remain there – so, after two rounds, you’re dead. Black holes are more interesting – they pull a ship towards the black hole. If it ends a turn in the center space or those around it, it’s dead. But it CAN move through the outer spaces. There are also radiation fields, which inflict 25% damage each turn.
I should also mention the other terrain types. Apart from open space, there’s also asteroid fields (which slow movement, but also contain resources) and nebulae (which are impassable).
Spoiler :

I’m getting a lot of credits from these wrecks.

Spoiler :

You know, the engineers are always trying to make the trains run faster. They got the new Mag-Lev up to 15000 kilometers per hour! That’s all well and good, but couldn’t they work on getting them to show up on time?

Extract from a routine by Baxter Sarno, noted comedian, broadcast May 19, 2307

I have researched Planetary Construction. I can build Construction Ships and Mag-Lev Networks, and I can adopt the Pacifism policy, which I will. My next technology will be Galactic Epistemology, which will allow me to build Universities and gain me the Knowledge value. I also begin work on Mag-Lev Networks on my different worlds. These basic structures improve a world’s income, which will boost my research.

Spoiler :

Many have said, “Why, in this time of need, do we continue to devote so much of our resources to scientific research? Would we not be better off focusing on our own immediate needs? Science can wait!”
But these people are wrong. Science has never been more important to us. Science will give us the tools we need to survive. For example, just two days ago Dr. Annabeth Chase came up with a new and improved habitation system that efficiently reprocesses human waste, reclaiming the lost water. This will ease the strain on our resources, allowing us to support a larger population.
Knowledge will keep us alive. Knowledge will make us strong. Knowledge is the way.

Speech by Administrator Lu Tianqu, June 5, 2311

I have developed Galactic Epistemology. This impressive technology grants me the ability to build Universities (which improve research) and Habitation Systems (which raise a planet’s population limit), as well enabling the Democracy policy. And as I am the first to research it, I discover the value of Knowledge.

Values are the Final Frontier equivalent of religions. In-universe, they represent different values that a society might be focused on. There are five values: Survival, Wealth, Knowledge, Power, and Religion. Each also enables a special building – for Knowledge, the Academy of Knowledge, which provides a research bonus. They can be spread by Advocates, which are basically missionaries. Survival and Wealth have already been founded by others, but Knowledge is the one I want.
Spoiler :

KF: Captain, you will not believe all the spare parts we found in this wreck. A lot of this stuff is better than what we’ve got on the Magellan.
MR: How good is it?
KF: Just looking at it gave me an orgasm.
MR: That good?
KF: That good.
Audio transcript, conversation between Captain Malcolm Reynolds, commanding officer,
ADS Magellan, and Commander Kaylee Frye, chief engineer, ADS Magellan, 0407 hrs, July 25, 2311

I have found parts for upgrades!

Upgrades are the Final Frontier equivalent of promotions. After consulting Civilopedia, I select the Upgraded Armor and Improved Armor upgrades. These will make the Magellan stronger, should she run into trouble, and if I get more upgrades, I will have access to the Upgraded Engines upgrade.

Which was a good move, because a couple of turns later, I found more parts.

Spoiler :

As a matter of fact, where we’re going, we WILL need roads. A few rest stops wouldn’t hurt, either.
Dr. Amanda Kenson, on the potential of Phase Lanes and Starbases, August 9, 2312

I have developed Orbital Engineering. This allows me to construct Phase Lanes (basically roads) and Starbases. This will enable me to more easily expand my civilization into space, not to mention give me a good reason to actually build some damn Construction Ships. I begin work on Gravity Training next.

:clap: Good job. Keep this up, and this will be the Final Frontier equivalent of Ramkhamhaeng of the Incas.

Now, this is interesting. Consider me subscribed.

I don't believe I've read your other mentioned story but this was a nice introduction to the mod as well as entertaining. One thing though, how exactly do you know when you find resources? All I see in the screenshots is some asteroids and space haha :S

sub the thread

I don't believe I've read your other mentioned story but this was a nice introduction to the mod as well as entertaining. One thing though, how exactly do you know when you find resources? All I see in the screenshots is some asteroids and space haha :S

Look at some of the asteroids. They have some different colored specs in them, those are the resources.

Now this is exciting. Love this mod.

:clap: Good job. Keep this up, and this will be the Final Frontier equivalent of Ramkhamhaeng of the Incas.

:agree: So damn much.

Also, Malcom is from Firefly, just like the rest of his crew. I WIN! :p

Spoiler :

"Make no mistake – you WILL throw up at some point."
Sergeant R. Lee Ermey, to new recruits for the Avower Space Corps, April 25, 2313

Gravity Training allows me to build Invasion Ships and Training Compounds. The former get bonuses for attacking star systems. The latter act like Barracks, giving new military units more experience. My next subject for research will be Military Academies.

Spoiler :

I’ve found yet more parts for the Magellan.

Spoiler :

I’ve found another star system nearby. Not my first, but this one’s very close to RC-1, so I intend to settle it. And when I finish my Academy of Knowledge, I begin work on a colony ship.

Spoiler :

"When this colony was founded, there were many things we took for granted. Among these was that Earth would ensure our protection from any who might wish us harm. Now, we must defend ourselves. But defending ourselves means more than building weapons and warships. It means training soldiers to wield those weapons and pilot those warships. For this reason, I ordered the establishment of a true military academy, to train officers to lead the Avower Space Corps."

Speech by Administrator Lu Tianqu at the groundbreaking ceremony for the Avower Space Corps Academy, March 13, 2314

I have developed Military Academies, allowing me to produce Destroyers, the first true offensive warships of Final Frontier. Next up is Synthetic Composites.

Spoiler :

HW: Captain, new contact
MR: Hail them.
HW: Channel open.
MR: This is Captain Malcolm Reynolds of the
ADS Magellan.
CO: Avast! Cut yer engines and prepare to be boarded!
MR: Gorram pirates!
Audio transcript, conversation between Captain Malcolm Reynolds, commanding officer,
ADS Magellan, Lieutenant Hoban “Wash” Washburne, helmsman, ADS Magellan, and commander of unknown pirate ship, 1930 hrs, April 1, 2314

I have encountered my first pirates, who are, obviously, the Final Frontier equivalent of barbarians.

Spoiler :

ZW: Captain, looks like this ship is intact!
MR: Intact? What do you mean, intact?
ZW: I mean, we could take this ship right now and go blow those pirates out of the black.
MR: Shiny.
ADS Magellan, and Commander Zoe Washburne, executive officer, ADS Magellan, 1145 hrs, November 10, 2314

I have found an abandoned destroyer in some wreckage! I name it the Revenant, and send it against that pirate ship.

Spoiler :

RT: The pirates are hailing us.
CO: Avast! Cut yer engines and prepare to be boarded!
ZW: Let’s give them our response. Lieutenant, fire the forward cannons.
RT: Aye, ma’am.
CO: What the AAARRRGH!
RT: We’ve lost the channel, ma’am.
Audio transcript, conversation between Commander Zoe Washburn, acting commanding officer,
ADS Revenant, Lieutenant River Tam, acting tactical officer, ADS Revenant, and commander of unknown pirate ship, 0814 hrs, December 5, 2314

I’ve destroyed the pirate ship. Incidentally, Zoe and River will be returning to the Magellan, and a new crew taking over the Revenant as soon as she returns to Avower space.

Spoiler :

EW: What is your favorite thing about colonizing Alexandria?
LF: Fresh air.
Audio transcript, interview between reporter Emily Wong and physicist Larry Fleinhart, November 10, 2315, one week after landing on Alexandria

I have established a second colony, at what I have named the Alexandria system. Interestingly, it seems as if colonies automatically start off with a nutrition facility and mining facility, so for my first structure, I will actually be building a University.

Spoiler :

What can we make out of synthetic composites? What can’t we make out of synthetic composites!
Title of article by Dr. Rana Thanoptis, Department of Applied Chemistry, on the potential of synthetic composites, published December 5, 2315

I have developed Synthetic Composites. This allows me to build Star Forts and Nutrition Facilities, as well as adopt the Technocracy policy.

Spoiler :

Many people have voiced fears that my continued autocratic rule might lead to the establishment of an oppressive dictatorship. These people are not paranoid – indeed, history shows that even the best-intentioned dictators eventually become tyrants. For this reason, I have established a new system of government, placing our future in the hands of the educated. We will be guided not by the passions of the mob nor the ego of one man, but instead by reason and science.
Speech by Administrator Lu Tianqu, December 16, 2315

Technocracy is a simple policy, granting you a 15% bonus to all research. Given my scientific focus, I adopt it. I also choose Survivalism as the next technology.

Spoiler :

I’ve found another abandoned destroyer. I name this one the Fearless.

Spoiler :

I have completed my first construction ship, the ACS Archimedes. It will be building a warp lane from RC-1 to Alexandria.

Spoiler :

"The loss of contact with Earth produced a profound psychological change in the behavior of the people of RC-1. While many colonies were originally intended to be self-sustaining, theirs was not. Faced with this new and unexpected peril, people became focused on survival above all else. While this attitude likely saved our colony from disaster, it also left a mark. Even today, sixteen years later, inside we are still a bunch of ivory-tower scientists facing the universe alone. Everything is considered through the lens of the need to sustain ourselves, even our continued search for knowledge. Deep down, the only thing that matters is living to see the next day."
Excerpt from “Survivalism: The Hidden Ideology”, article in the Avower Journal of Psychology by Professor Charles Xavier, published February 26, 2316

I have researched Survivalism, allowing me to build Fighter Squadrons and Interplanetary Beacons (basically Broadcast Towers). My next tech will be Ship Manufacturing.

Spoiler :

HW: Captain, new contact!
MR: What is it?
HW: Looks like a destroyer parked on that star system to the southeast.
MR: Pirates?
HW: Negative. She’s squawking an unknown transponder. Might be from another colony, or even Earth.
MR: Think we can risk a closer look?
HW: I’d say so.
ADS Magellan and Lieutenant Hoban “Wash” Washburne, helmsman, ADS Magellan, 2129 hrs, April 5, 2318

I have spotted a destroyer from another faction! Time to go make contact, and hope that they don’t decide to kill me!

Spoiler :

Received: 0633 hrs, 4.7.2318
ADS Magellan
We’ve finally made contact with someone who doesn’t want to kill us – the Red Syndicate. Seems they’re a bunch of merchants from the Crossroads system aways up north. They’re friendly enough folk, though I’d get the impression they’d sell their own mothers. We swapped star charts, which was probably a good move. We also ran into some short-tempered folks calling themselves “the Forge”. Looks like other colonies survived the loss of contact with Earth.

Spoiler :

I’ve met two other factions – the Red Syndicate and the Forge.

Spoiler :

"If we are to prosper, we must do more than build a few titchy defense ships. It is high time that the Avowers of Knowledge developed a proper shipbuilding industry. This is not a research colony anymore. This is a nation."
Excerpt from “Industry and Prosperity”, article in the Star Tribune, by industrialist Jacus Roden, published October 8, 2318

I’ve developed Ship Manufacturing. This new technology will allow me to build shipyards, which will enable the construction of larger ships like cruisers, battleships, and carriers. Next up is Streamlined Production.

Spoiler :

No, Vladimir Korovin, I will NOT be giving you Galactic Epistemology.

“So they can make more aircars in a day. Does it matter if they’re crap?”
Comment posted by bigdog1000 on today.net article on increased output at Progressive Motor Company factories, March 18, 2322

I have developed Streamlined Production, which allows me to build factories and Delta scout ships. I’m going to call the Magellan home so I can upgrade her.

Spoiler :

Received: 2035 hrs, 12.6.2323
ADS Magellan
We’ve made contact with another colony – Astrotech. I like them even less than the Forge people. They demanded we transfer some of our tech to them. I told them to go to hell. We may want to watch out for these guys.

I’ve met Astrotech. And yes, they did demand that I hand over technology.

Well, that concludes this segment.

This is a cool story. The mod seems awesome as well. Why did you wait so long to come back and do another segment?

Very nice! I had completely forgotten about this story. Glad to see you're making a return. Will your future updates have less wait time in between? :)

:eek: Wow, even I haven't gone without an update for that long...

Yes. I may not be updating with actual progress in my games. But at least I'm updating with storyline updates. Even if it's being driven by one of the biggest trolls in the history of visual novels.
Get moving LETY

Top Bottom