Final Mafia 2019 (Cold War Mafia)

Manasi GOAT
Also I think that not being able to instantly multipost gives games here a relaxed pace. They're more like a stroll than any other kind of movement.

btw what do you mean one cannot multipost?

Seriously, man, this is 3 posts in under 3 seconds.

Thank you, Manasi and Visor.

@CrimsonFox We have 13 players, but you can still continue as a full player in the extended design. I will rand the roles in about 4 hours though, and you have that time to confirm whether you're still in. If you do not explicitly confirm I have to proceed without you.

Game start pushed to 7:30 PM ET today.

Maybe you'd better prod CrimsonFox wherever his home forum is. CFC doesn't send reminder emails when people are tagged in-thread, or at least I have set it that way.

I'm off to feed the beasts. I expect people to be voting for each other with reasons silly enough that when I find out I've randed mafia and post completely awkwardly because all I've done this year is host my posts don't seem particularly awful.

Give it time. Hosting always has so many unforeseen circumstances that actual start times -even in MU where you get dedicated hosting software- are rough guidelines.

*sigh*
I know this is irresponsible, but with one more player a special mechanic can be introduced, and without having heard conclusively from Crimson I don't want to exclude them and then find out minutes later they actually wanted to play. I can't think of any honest workaround but to wait a little longer.

Please bear with me as I delay start for 2.5 more hours until 10:15 PM. That is the set time by which the game will have to begin. I promise.

vote: Montmorency

Hmm, you're right. I'm being a bad host. You know what, never mind. I'll send out PMs as normal now. I did say I would keep it simple.​

*sigh*
I know this is irresponsible, but with one more player a special mechanic can be introduced, and without having heard conclusively from Crimson I don't want to exclude them and then find out minutes later they actually wanted to play. I can't think of any honest workaround but to wait a little longer.

Please bear with me as I delay start for 2.5 more hours until 10:15 PM. That is the set time by which the game will have to begin. I promise.

FWIW I always thought the seven o'clock start was my time (Pacific) anyway, so with the delay we're gonna be right there.

Game Information

In a Mafia game, there is a Town who must eliminate the Mafia to win, and a Mafia who must eliminate or reach parity with the Town. Parity means the size of the Mafia team equals or exceeds the size of the Town team. Parity can also be declared before this point if there is no mechanical path to victory left for Town (e.g. day ends with 4 town and 3 mafia). Some hosts have liked to tweak player anxieties by running the game overnight in such circumstances, but I will terminate the game promptly if the time comes.

Players vote to lynch during day (48 hours). At night (24 hours) eligible players - mafia & town PRs (power roles) - submit actions.
48/24 rounds.
Setup:
Town
(Town roles do not start aware of each other)
7 vanilla (Canada, Mexico, UK, France, Italy, Japan, Australia)
West Germany (FRG): Cop. Can only identify East Germany.
South Korea (ROK): Cop. Can only identify North Korea.
America (USA): Doctor. Can stop kills from anyone, but loses ability once FRG and ROK are dead. Is alerted when Mafia successfully identify a Town PR (including itself).

Mafia
East Germany (GDR): Goon.
North Korea (DPRK): Goon.
Soviet Union (SSSR): Rolecop. Cannot kill until both GDR and DPRK are dead. Can perform double scans on N1.

Full alignment and role reveal ("flip") upon player death.

Voting:
Voting is done by writing Vote: player's name bolded and they can be unvoted (Unvote: player's name) as many times as you like before the phase ends. It is not necessary to unvote before casting a new vote. A vote will be counted if the target is intelligible to me. The player list contains suggested abbreviations for player names in parentheses.

No Lynch and Abstain are not allowed.

SUPPORT VOTES ARE ALLOWED. Instead of voting for a victim, you can vote to support them, which subtracts 1 from their tally. Do this by casting a normal vote for that player but coloring the text green.

Ties are resolved by the first tie-breaking vote after deadline. Only normal (non-support) votes for tied players are valid in a tie.

I will post a few official vote tallies during the day. Players are encouraged to supplement these with unofficial tallies.

Editing: You have a forum-linked grace period of a minute or so to stealth-edit your post. Don't edit a vote into a post unless you posted early inadvertently and feel lucky, punk. Never edit a vote out of a post. Posts labeled as edited are not to be counted toward the vote tally.

Communication
: You cannot post, quote, screenshot, etc. any private communications between you and the GM here in the thread. Do not contact each other privately except as prescribed by host. You will not be penalized for talking in the game thread at night. Do not post or like posts when dead. (Do not like posts if you have died and subsequently subbed in.) Any questions to the GM should be asked in private.

Activity: Show up in the thread daily or I'll have to find a replacement. How much leeway I extend depends on depth of inactivity and reserve availability. In extremity you will face the Wrath of God (modkill). If I have to modkill you I will smite without regard to game state or balance. Do not discuss substitutions or modkills in the game.

The 13 delegations of the member states of the UN Security Council are meeting. There is a conflict between USA and USSR. The world is at stake. To decide the fates of millions the powers have arranged a war simulation. Winner takes all. But where are the other two delegations?

Suddenly, China representative runs in and reports that someone has killed the Yugoslavian delegation. In the other conference hall. Yugo into civil war now. Was it James Bond or KGB? China representative says, it is very convenient to engage war simulation to resolve the mystery. Quickly adjust a few details.

GAME HAS BEGUN

Begin day 1. Day ends 12/4 at 8 PM ET.

Remember that OPs have a list of links to game milestones.

If you did not receive a PM you are vanilla town!

Players:

1. @Timsup2nothin (Tim)
2. @Takhisis (Barto, Bart, Tak)
3. @Manasi
4. @JohannaK (Johanna, Jo)
5. @pzelda (Zelda)
6. @MaryKB (Mary)
7. @Snerk
8. @Omega124 (Omega)
9. @Seon
10. @Synsensa (Syn)
11. @RRRaskolnikov (Ras, Rask, Raskol, RRR)
12. @Visorslash (Visor)
13. @Yakostovian (Logic)

Reserves:

0. TopSecret
1. Zack
2. Choxorn
3. Csargo

Last edited:
Top Bottom