Firaxis: Patch coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
AsnoT said:
since this is a CivIV forum, you must be running windows. only a 64bit cpu running windows vista SUPPORTS > 2gb ram.

talk about "a bit silly".....

OOPS! better not tell my windows xp then :lol: since it seems to believe it can use the 3GB i have installed:mischief:

Smidlee said:
Have you tried a huge map or Rhye's earth map? As more of the map is reveal the game starts to slow down some. I got Athon 64 x2 3800+ as everything else the same. With these specs the game shouldn't slow down at all (Graphic wise;I'm not referring to AI movement, etc.)

No, I haven't tried a huge map yet. I have quite limited time to play the game unfortunatly, since I should be studying for my microsoft exams.

AsnoT said:
since this is a CivIV forum, you must be running windows. only a 64bit cpu running windows vista SUPPORTS > 2gb ram.

talk about "a bit silly".....

That's not true. 32-bit systems can certainly support more than 4GB, just that for *each* application you can only support 4GB address space.

not quite; Windows 98 was limited to addressing 512mb of ram :) I am also pretty sure that Windows XP *is* limited to 2gb, or at least it is out of the box, although perhaps this was changed in a service pack considering they made some pretty hefty low-level changes.

Windows XP will support up to 4gb of ram, but usually the mother board takes 512mb for other uses when you install 4gb, so you have 3.5gb available to windows. But the applications can only use 2gb of the ram each.

Thats my understanding anyway.

So it's late friday and still no patch. Oh well, I guess we shouldn't take what they said in passing in a private email as offical notice.

Actually, someone mentioned before Thanksgiving. *shrugs* I guess they meant NEXT-next week.

Marquis Mark said:
That's right, let's do the American thing and blame somebody else for our problems.
so, if everything works perfect, and software which someone installs is not working, although the person has all the recommended specifications. It is the fault of the costumer? what are you? mentally frustrated? if someone tells me:"put a 1eur in that automat, and you can choose a package of chewgums, and afterwards he tells me:"oh, no, you should have put 2x50eurocents in it, not the euro stucks the whole maschine, that is the fault of the costumer? jesus man, how old are you?n think logically, do some mathemathical education please to learn to think by logical sence!

Marquis Mark said:
It's truely unfortunate that this happened, but at the end of the day, the problem becomes you being unable to find your XP activation code. With that in mind, it would have been a better move to wait for a patch. Hindsight, and all that.
no, the question is, WHY do i need it after a succesfull installation? and the WHY is definitly to blame to take 2!!! do a math course please to upgrade your logical thinking.

Marquis Mark said:
I've had similar problems with other bugs in released games (BF1942 specifically) but before changing drivers or hardware configurations, I made sure my video card and Windows software was available. I lost some good media files, but that's my own bad for not backing up my software.
right, normally people do that, but you can't expect everyone to keep track of everything, and if you expect costumers to do so, you should warn them:"please keep your windows installation disc ready" which many good software manufacturers do. unfortunatly take two doesn't. but it's not the question, the question is, WHY do they sell as "recommended" without telling you the truth, because actually it's not only the recommended specs, but you obviously need alot more Specs for this game to run properly, and that MUST BE included on the box!

Marquis Mark said:
Anyhow, moral of the story here is to always prepare for the worst with computers.
Right, but it is the fault of the manufacturer if he doesn't tell you ALL the Requisted Specifications, and driver versions, and DX versions etc belong to the Specs too!! they do state DX9c needed, why don't they tell you:"don't use latest ATI driver ie?" why don't they tell you"if you installed your pc normally or got it installed from the shop where you bought your pc, this game has a risk of not working, please make sure you installed it like ...1..2..3. etc" that is definitly a MUST BE in the requisted specs list"

I had a post where i doubt firaxis would release a patch this week..some moderator of this forum spread that lie..i told i don't trust his words because he is infected by firaxis to spread lies, just like many reviewers are spreading lies over civ4...and it's a pity so many people defended the moderator initially...while now saturday it is obvious he was lying, everyone now can see that I am telling the thruth, while the moderators and reviewers mostly just tell lies...i must admit i still like the game..very much, and since i downgraded all my drivers to 2004 versions the game works smootly, but it's definitly a lie to tell civ4 keeps all the game options from civ3 while adding new ones..ok, they add some new ones, that's not a lie, but keep the older civ options? huh? wtf, who came to that lie the first place? many options are left out, no outpost, no airfiels(as terrian modification) no artillery attacking units, no auto bombard, etc etc so many things have vanished..it's a big lie to tell everyone this keeps up the work of civ3 while adding new things..they didnt keep up the civ3...the removed more from civ3 as they added in civ4..that's the truth, that's a fact! and although the game is wonderfull, especially the performance, please, stop telling lies in the reviews, tell just the truth!! many things improved, but many things are a drawback, i'd give civ4 a 3.5out of 5 because it's still a good game, but they removed many tactical options from older civ series.

Yep, It is a great game. But like you said a lot of cool stuff aren't in civ4 anymore. Like you can only build ICBMs, but if you use them you have a penalty towards all the other civs, even your allies. So why don't keep the cruise missile; I liked to fired them at ships near my coast.
They talk about a palace/throne room in the book, but there isn't such thing in the game.
No zone of control, so the forts are somehow useless in the game. Or you should build a whole wall and make a lot of units to put them inside.

Definitly a great game, but it could be greater. ;)

@Mr Genie:
You, sir, are just a whining idiot. At least the first part of your post strongly suggests that. Criticism is okay, but you're just *****ing around.

@Everyone else:
Sorry to bug you with that true and sad comment!

I want to say, that mrgenie is right. they took to many out of civ4. I loved my paratroopers in civ3. they´re gone! they took out an elemental thing in modern warfare! that is a shame. I love this game but I hope somebody will make a good mod and maybe bring back many good features. civ4 have to be reinvented and made better. I hope with an expansion pack or sth. but this will take more than a year...

Mr "Genie" said:
the question is, WHY do i need it after a succesfull installation?

So you think that once you have installed windows on your hard drive it will be invincible till the day your hard drive fries. GET REAL! Its windows ffs.
If YOU are incapable of taking adequate care of your PC with backups and the care of important things like Product keys, Driver CD's and the like then you deserve to get shafted.
Get a brain, Windows is NOT infallible, in fact I format and reinstall at least once every 3 months to keep things fresh and fast. Now quit whining, learn to rip off microsoft and learn how to look after your god dammed PC properly.

God its like women and checking the oil in the car......

Btw "genie", the main reason that civ 4 is so different is because IT IS A FRACKING SEQUEL not an expansion. You talk of logic, I suggest you go find out about common sense.

Renegade X said:
[...] you deserve to get shafted. Get a brain [...] Now quit whining, learn to rip off microsoft and learn how to look after your god dammed PC properly. God its like women and checking the oil in the car.

As a naive young woman who operates a computer with Microsoft products, I find this quote very...educative.

lol I operate with products created by and supported by microsoft, however microsoft does not make a single penny off my ass. ;)

Sorry if that was offensive btw

Renegade X said:
in fact I format and reinstall at least once every 3 months to keep things fresh and fast.

God its like women and checking the oil in the car......

Hey, I check my oil occassionally :p

I can also work my way around a PC - hardware or software - with ease, and I have to say that reinstalling your OS every three months seems waaaaaaaaay over the top. No way on this planet you should have to do that so often.

I was on the phone with take 2 yesterday (Friday) cause the game is all messed up for me right now but anyway I was told that a patch would be out in 2 WEEKS I'm starting think they have no clue when this will be out at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom