Firaxis pls make option for Unit stacking

one179

Chieftain
Dear firaxis,

Could you please make option for unit stacking with AI adapted. Modders cant handle this. Many people hate and dont enjoy 1UPT. I tried love this game, but 1 UPT is so boring, easy, and slow against ai. Moving with more units is suffering. And about city state units, faith units, friendly unit standing in the way is better dont talk.

And many people DO like 1UPT. Don't give in, Firaxis!
Indeed, but what's the problem with the ability to mod it ?

The current setting is bugged and even if the AI can stack unit when this is modded, the game un-stack those units at the end of their turn (but not the players units which gave him another advantage, while the main objective of allowing stacking is to help the AI...)

You can't have an option for everything. (No) stacking is simply too fundamental to the game, every single thing in combat would have to be rebalanced because of it. Excepting Firaxis to redevelop one of the largest systems in the game just for an option is ridiculous.

Now if people want to mod it, sure, go ahead. But Firaxis is there to make one game, with options to increase replayability. Trying to please everyone by having options for everything would be a disastruous decision that would make the game terrible for everyone.

I think Civ will need to transition to limited stacking (there are some signs of this with corps, etc)--it's clear the AI don't know how to properly use unstacked armies, and moving a carpet takes much longer than moving a stack.

It would probably be ok if they just made coprs available right away, the movement system in VI is a huge issue as well without stacking.

What Olleus said, it's way too much work and too big a change. Maybe in future Civ games there should be more tiles to allow more space for units. Like, imagine if every tile in the game now would be two tiles instead and units' movement rate was double what it is now. But 1UPT is definitely the way to go, imo, much more realistic.

With archer firing at 200 km, I would not call the actual combat "realistic"

When someone say "more tactical and interesting than stack of doom", I can understand. More realistic than infinite stacking (if we remove ranged units), I'll still agree, in the end it's just a matter of defining the size of the unit on the tile.

But to make things "much more realistic", limited stacking and new combat rules is the way to go.

Can't be expected for civ6, as I agree with the "to big of a change even for an expansion" argument, so mods are the only possibilities for those who'd like to change this.

But because of the aforementioned bug, it's not moddable at all and because of the modding limitation when it comes to combat, it won't be really interesting before the DLL source is released.

But I'm patient, and optimistic, we' ll get it...

I just can't wait for my turn to start playing civ6.

The realism argument (when it comes to space&time scale) makes no sense anyway. It takes 50 years for my warrior to duke it out with another. Even in the modern era, it will take over a year to move a tank from one city to another. A brand new campus without so much as a library takes up as much space as a sprawling ensemble of library, university and research lab. 1 Pop (how many people is that?) can work as much farm land in 4000BC as in 2000AD.

Realism has its place in civ (it makes sense that a rifleman is more powerful than a swordsman), but when you try to put numbers on distances and times it falls apart. That abstraction is the very thing that makes civ so successful.

With archer firing at 200 km, I would not call the actual combat "realistic"

If you want to go down the route of that argument, you'd have to change absolutely everything. Like, why isn't every unit from musketman on a ranged unit, then? Why is mechanized infantry's movement the same as scouts?
Civilization the game has never been about fully realistic combat or unit dynamics and it would be a completely different game if it was. But it is more realistic - and tactically more enjoyable, imo - to have 1UPT than being able to have dozens of units on one hill.

However, like I said in my previous post, space - or lack of it - is an issue.

If you want to go down the route of that argument, you'd have to change absolutely everything.
that's my plan, hence the need for the source code :D

I think the stacking with Corps an Army is fine. Infinite stacking like in IV makes fighting a bit weird and unrealistic.

I hated the stacking in Civ IV, and I prefer the 1UPT rule from V and VI. I do think it would be better if each tile could support two types of units. Now, we can stack a military unit with an non-military unit, which is great, but I wish we could stack a ranged unit with a melee unit too. Infinite stacking like in older Civ games should definitely not be done again. It was easily the worst thing in Civ I to IV.

Top Bottom