First Look: Sumeria

Assuming Sumeria benefits from the pillaging and experience of allied units, then there's going to be a lot of manoeuvring to make sure Sumerian units are within 5 hexes. Will keep the Sumeria player on his toes.

Edit:

Pete clarified on reedit
"ISSUE THE FOLLOWING CORRECTION:" When at war with a common foe, they and their allies share pillage rewards and share combat experience gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles."

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/54kpav/civilization_vi_first_look_sumeria/d82nt17?context=3

This post clarifies that Gilgamesh shares pillaging and experience with his allies, i.e. they both get what the other one gets from war:

Pete Murray said:
No, it's a one-way deal (or at least it was the last time I checked). I was absolutely WRONG. Gilgamesh came over, dragging Ed by his wrist. "PUNY HALFMAN," he roared, "ISSUE THE FOLLOWING CORRECTION:" When at war with a common foe, they and their allies share pillage rewards and share combat experience gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles. Then Ed asked him very nicely to stop flicking my ears while I typed. Thanks, Ed!

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/54kpav/civilization_vi_first_look_sumeria/d82nt17

Uh Pete Murray posted in the reddit stated that Gilgamesh won't receives warmonger penalty if he declare war on those who attacked his allies

Like some others, I think its a poorly worded ability, and Sumeria *gets* the benefits in a joint war.

edit: it appears that while I wrote this a bunch of people posted the correction. Never mind.

This seems quite underwhelming, although perhaps the Ziggurat alone will be so good that it makes it a good civ. As a unique improvement, sounds like you could just spam them out as long as you start near a river, and you could get way more early science and culture than anyone else and start a snowball rolling.

This post clarifies that Gilgamesh shares pillaging and experience with his allies, i.e. they both get what the other one gets from war

I'm guessing that this means pillage/exp are effectively doubled; we saw India's unit get 4 exp in the video, and I doubt that one battle would give 8 exp.

This seems quite underwhelming, although perhaps the Ziggurat alone will be so good that it makes it a good civ. As a unique improvement, sounds like you could just spam them out as long as you start near a river, and you could get way more early science and culture than anyone else and start a snowball rolling.
Would require you to invest a lot of hammers in builders, though, plus you'll grow slowly due to lack of food, so I doubt that will be a great strategy.

I'm guessing that this means pillage/exp are effectively doubled; we saw India's unit get 4 exp in the video, and I doubt that one battle would give 8 exp.

Oh, right, I don't think they literally divide the experience/pillaging rewards- I think both players get the reward of what one player would've gotten normally.

You could level up your units pretty fast if during a "joint" war both civs were actually fighting.

From Pete Murray:
Some people are fast out of the gate in Civ. The Aztec, for example, and the Scythians, are two Civs that bring a lot of hurt early. But Sumeria is something else entirely. When humanity wakes at the Dawn of Time in Civ, Gilgamesh has been up for half an hour already, has made you breakfast, built a Ziggurat, hitched up the War Cart, and is ready to go.
Gilgamesh is your new best friend. He loves, and I mean loves his allies. He feels your pain. He rejoices when you rejoice. He goes to war with you. He is fired up. He has the car loaded. Montezuma declares war on you. Before Tomyris is finished denouncing him, Gilgamesh is punching Monty in the face with his enormous, beefy fists. He calls his left fist "The Vengence of Ur" and his right fist "The Vengence of Enlil." You've pointed out that maybe he could pick another nickname than "Vengence" for one of those fists, but he always laughs and slaps you so hard on the back you can hear your teeth rattle.
Then he holds Monty upside down and shakes him, and points to the pocket change that falls out: "Go halfsies?" he asks, grinning.
Everyone knows that Gilgamesh is about the business. Everyone knows you don't touch his friends, because he will come for you. And when you play as Gilgamesh, you can take care of your friends when they get hurt. You don't get the Warmonger penalty when you declare war on anyone at war with your allies. You are Gilgamesh. You look after your own, man. Because you know, deep down inside, in the marrow of your bones, that it wasn't technology or religion or agriculture that caused civilization to come into being.
It was friendship. Gilgamesh extends the Vengence of Enlil to you, and you bump it with your own.

source

-declares joint war with norway-

Anyway, do we know what bonuses goody huts give this time around? Could be a very powerful ability, especially since the war... box on wheels seems effective for clearing camps

Hopefully there are diplomatic actions for *high-five* and "U da man!" between Harald and Gilgamesh.

Add this too: don't get the Warmonger penalty when you declare war on anyone at war with your allies, Unique to Gilgamesh

Ahhh, That is the benefit. that could be huge....find a close war monger, make him your Ally let him pick a fight and join is war, let him get his face caved in.... Take ALL the cities.... Rinse and repeat :) I am sure you could get at least half the Continent(land mass) before he feels threatened and breaks the Alliance... Find another Civ on the other Continent...ally with him and then do the same with your now ex-Ally.... Domination Victory as easy as they come :)

Maybe the City warmongering penalty isn't included :( still pretty useful to get free wars, you can divide and conquer the map pretty easily.

ohh so it seems they do both get the benefit, and it doesnt make sense then if it was shared, so they must both get equal yields as if normal :), times a moving quick....and my poor editor is lagging :(...damn Adsl2

From Pete Murray:
Some people are fast out of the gate in Civ. The Aztec, for example, and the Scythians, are two Civs that bring a lot of hurt early. But Sumeria is something else entirely. When humanity wakes at the Dawn of Time in Civ, Gilgamesh has been up for half an hour already, has made you breakfast, built a Ziggurat, hitched up the War Cart, and is ready to go.
Gilgamesh is your new best friend. He loves, and I mean loves his allies. He feels your pain. He rejoices when you rejoice. He goes to war with you. He is fired up. He has the car loaded. Montezuma declares war on you. Before Tomyris is finished denouncing him, Gilgamesh is punching Monty in the face with his enormous, beefy fists. He calls his left fist "The Vengence of Ur" and his right fist "The Vengence of Enlil." You've pointed out that maybe he could pick another nickname than "Vengence" for one of those fists, but he always laughs and slaps you so hard on the back you can hear your teeth rattle.
Then he holds Monty upside down and shakes him, and points to the pocket change that falls out: "Go halfsies?" he asks, grinning.
Everyone knows that Gilgamesh is about the business. Everyone knows you don't touch his friends, because he will come for you. And when you play as Gilgamesh, you can take care of your friends when they get hurt. You don't get the Warmonger penalty when you declare war on anyone at war with your allies. You are Gilgamesh. You look after your own, man. Because you know, deep down inside, in the marrow of your bones, that it wasn't technology or religion or agriculture that caused civilization to come into being.
It was friendship. Gilgamesh extends the Vengence of Enlil to you, and you bump it with your own.

source

Oh, that is awesome. That alone makes me want to play him as I love the "no warmongering" from sticking up for your friends.

Sounds like a very good civ for early empire building, you’ve the bonuses of tribal village (aka ancient ruins) by taking barbarians camp which is very neat and you’ve the ziggurat which is great to build the foundation of a strong science/culture oriented civilization.
I’m a bit disappointed that they didn’t give Sumer bonuses for food production, though it might come with another leader, and I’m not the biggest fan of how they used epic literature to represent Gilgamesh.
Overall I find it interesting, but it’s not in my “must play” list.

He looks like a good Civ for the player that likes to scout out everywhere early and wipe out every last barbarian.
He will likely know what the map looks like earlier than other Civs. So, he will have met most Civs too.
The early science and culture is a nice boost. That science might save him from getting squashed too early.
I agree with Xur. I am not a fan of the shared xp.
The fact that his Unique that doesn't benefit him. That's more like a limitation. :(

He seems more like someone that I would try once, then move on. bla.
He might be stronger in PvP or on Deity with enough war carts with an early rush on you.
Otherwise, I'd just take him out later with Redcoats or whatever.

Kinda disappointed this time around. Seems like it was one of those civ's that fans design without really putting a lot of thought into it. We have so little historical knowledge or understanding of this civilization that they basically have to bunt and throw at a mythical leader and utterly homogeneous "uniques". Uniques that weren't unique, and bonuses that are very flat and ubiquitous. It's pretty much the Huns all over again.

The uniques just don't excite me as a player to devise an interesting new strategies. I don't care how good early science and culture bonuses are: if I just want broken powerful advantages, I'll play on a low difficulty.

Top Bottom