First Look: Sumeria

After the Pete Murray 'correction' I'm more confused than ever. Sumeria and allies share benefits with nearest allied unit within 5 tiles? :confused:

edit: well, the no warmongering bonus when helping allies will be useful in later eras. I understand that.

Sumeria and allies share benefits with nearest allied unit within 5 tiles? :confused:

Yes, I believe that is how that works. So, if you are allied with Sumeria and if your units are within 5 tiles of a Sumerian unit that wins a battle, your unit also gets the combat experience rewards.

That LUA looks rather bad. You have to rely on the ability of the AI to kill and pillage to get any benefit from it...

Ugh.

Devs says on reddit that gilgamesh also gets no warmonger penalty for declaring war on civs who attacked your allies. Just imagine how big this is in the late game.

Yes, I believe that is how that works. So, if you are allied with Sumeria and if your units are within 5 tiles of a Sumerian unit that wins a battle, your unit also gets the combat experience rewards.

If both civs are fighting you'll be getting double experience. The more I think about this Civ the more I like it.

So Gilgamesh can declare a joint war with a neighbour with a large army against someone and send 2-3 units along as.... embedded reporters.
They don't have to do anything. Just be near the action and "watch and learn" and bring some yields home. :D Nice!

You could level up your units pretty fast if during a "joint" war both civs were actually fighting.

You could also levelup different units. For example, you could use this ability to get promotion to scouts, so you could get some Ranger ninjas in Industrial.

Based on Pete's description, I'm guessing Gilgamesh's agenda will be "Likes civilizations who declare friendship with him more than other leaders do. Dislikes civilizations who denounce or declare war on civilizations he has declared friendship with more than other leaders do."

So Gilgamesh can declare a joint war with a neighbour with a large army against someone and send 2-3 units along as.... embedded reporters.
They don't have to do anything. Just be near the action and "watch and learn" and bring some yields home. :D Nice!

Like the Strat, especially if the A.I pillage effectively. Just pick a few War mongers to ally with

Based on Pete's description, I'm guessing Gilgamesh's agenda will be "Likes civilizations who declare friendship with him more than other leaders do. Dislikes civilizations who denounce or declare war on civilizations he has declared friendship with more than other leaders do."

They actually stated it in the video. He likes civs that join him in war.

This faction seems awesome for MP teamers, but I think it'll be hard to get an AI to go to war on your side early enough to be able to use your UU.

I like the other bonuses a lot! Of all the parts of a civ game I like the early game the most and Gilgamesh seems to be able to have a monstruously strong early game.

#GilgameshTrueBro

An other civ which could be OP in the hands of the player, but probably will suck in the hands of the AI..

Well, this was unexpected in many ways. Let us then dwelve into this civ!

UA - Epic Quest: When you capture a barbarian outpost, you get a tribal village reward.

Simple yet effective and more importantly, active unique. It also fits Sumeria's "early civ" role. I would have liked some kind of agricultural bonus better, considering that Sumeria was the one civ that kickstarted this whole "sedentarism" thing, but so far, so good.

UU - War Cart: No penalties to fighting Spearmen or other anti-cavalry units. Extra movement if starting on flat terrain. 30 strength.

Wow, if this unit is avaible from the very start of the game this could really help you to make early zerg rushings and all kind of cheesing tactics. Scary, yet exciting!

UI - Ziggurat: Grants culture and if adjacent to a river, science. Cannot be built on a hill.

At last, long last, an early technologic civ! This improvement seems to be incredibly powerful.

LUA - Adventures with Enkidu: During a Joint War, Sumeria shares pillage rewards and combat experience with closest allied unit within 5 tiles. Doesn't get warmonger penalties when fighting for your allies.

Errrrr sorry, but I don't like this one. Not one bit. I really get that they are going with the "Gigamesh is a bro, broh" theme, but seriously: NOPE. Sumeria was never about joint wars nor being a good ally. Agriculture, relics, culture, city planning... there are many angles to the Sumerian civilization, yet they choose this view... it is a pity, seriously. This is anti-inmersive, and it seems only useful in multiplayer games. While I love Gigamesh model and personality, this LUA breaks the civ's flavour, rather than enhance it :/

After the more "traditional" Roman and Greece civs, another truely unique civilization!

It might not be historically accurate (whatever this could be; however, the double science bonus matches the theme!), but it is for sure a fresh and interesting ability combination. And with the added information, I might say: a strong one, too, if played rigth. (But it has to be played right - and this is exactly, what makes it different and enthralling!)

From Twitter

1. He can declare war on anyone at war with one of his allies without any warmonger penalties.
2. When at war with a common foe, Sumeria and shares pillage rewards and combat xp gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles.
3. Gilgamesh can levy City-State military forces at 50% of cost.

Pete just clarified Gilgamesh's unique ability. It actually has 3 parts:
1) He can declare war on anyone at war with one of his allies without any warmonger penalties.
2) When at war with a common foe, Sumeria and shares pillage rewards and combat xp gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles.
3) Gilgamesh can levy City-State military forces at 50% of cost.

That is actually quite good. WOW

Top Bottom