1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Look: Sumeria

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hutchy27, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

It probably also works with allied City States, Right?

2. footslogger

footslogger Chieftain

After the Pete Murray 'correction' I'm more confused than ever. Sumeria and allies share benefits with nearest allied unit within 5 tiles? :confused:

edit: well, the no warmongering bonus when helping allies will be useful in later eras. I understand that.

3. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Woah...it will be horrible trying to fight Gigabiceps in the early game. Powerful mounted unit with no counter? Scary.

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Yes, I believe that is how that works. So, if you are allied with Sumeria and if your units are within 5 tiles of a Sumerian unit that wins a battle, your unit also gets the combat experience rewards.

5. Metecury

Metecury Chieftain

Devs says on reddit that gilgamesh also gets no warmonger penalty for declaring war on civs who attacked your allies. Just imagine how big this is in the late game.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Sounds like everyone's favorite ally for multiplayer.

7. rastak

rastak Chieftain

If both civs are fighting you'll be getting double experience. The more I think about this Civ the more I like it.

8. masda_gib

masda_gib Chieftain

So Gilgamesh can declare a joint war with a neighbour with a large army against someone and send 2-3 units along as.... embedded reporters.
    They don't have to do anything. Just be near the action and "watch and learn" and bring some yields home. :D Nice!

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

You could also levelup different units. For example, you could use this ability to get promotion to scouts, so you could get some Ranger ninjas in Industrial.

10. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

Based on Pete's description, I'm guessing Gilgamesh's agenda will be "Likes civilizations who declare friendship with him more than other leaders do. Dislikes civilizations who denounce or declare war on civilizations he has declared friendship with more than other leaders do."

11. dturtle1

dturtle1 Chieftain

Like the Strat, especially if the A.I pillage effectively. Just pick a few War mongers to ally with

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They actually stated it in the video. He likes civs that join him in war.

13. Japper007

Japper007 Chieftain

This faction seems awesome for MP teamers, but I think it'll be hard to get an AI to go to war on your side early enough to be able to use your UU.

I like the other bonuses a lot! Of all the parts of a civ game I like the early game the most and Gilgamesh seems to be able to have a monstruously strong early game.

14. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

#GilgameshTrueBro

15. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

They said he's a loyal ally and enjoys reciprocating friendships, which matches with Pete's description (and also the literary depiction of Gilgamesh).

16. mzprox

mzprox Chieftain

An other civ which could be OP in the hands of the player, but probably will suck in the hands of the AI..

17. Ikael

Ikael Chieftain

Well, this was unexpected in many ways. Let us then dwelve into this civ!

Simple yet effective and more importantly, active unique. It also fits Sumeria's "early civ" role. I would have liked some kind of agricultural bonus better, considering that Sumeria was the one civ that kickstarted this whole "sedentarism" thing, but so far, so good.

Wow, if this unit is avaible from the very start of the game this could really help you to make early zerg rushings and all kind of cheesing tactics. Scary, yet exciting!

At last, long last, an early technologic civ! This improvement seems to be incredibly powerful.

Errrrr sorry, but I don't like this one. Not one bit. I really get that they are going with the "Gigamesh is a bro, broh" theme, but seriously: NOPE. Sumeria was never about joint wars nor being a good ally. Agriculture, relics, culture, city planning... there are many angles to the Sumerian civilization, yet they choose this view... it is a pity, seriously. This is anti-inmersive, and it seems only useful in multiplayer games. While I love Gigamesh model and personality, this LUA breaks the civ's flavour, rather than enhance it :/

18. Deggial

Deggial Chieftain

After the more "traditional" Roman and Greece civs, another truely unique civilization!

It might not be historically accurate (whatever this could be; however, the double science bonus matches the theme!), but it is for sure a fresh and interesting ability combination. And with the added information, I might say: a strong one, too, if played rigth. (But it has to be played right - and this is exactly, what makes it different and enthralling!)

19. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

From Twitter

1. He can declare war on anyone at war with one of his allies without any warmonger penalties.
    2. When at war with a common foe, Sumeria and shares pillage rewards and combat xp gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles.
    3. Gilgamesh can levy City-State military forces at 50% of cost.

20. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Pete just clarified Gilgamesh's unique ability. It actually has 3 parts:
    1) He can declare war on anyone at war with one of his allies without any warmonger penalties.
    2) When at war with a common foe, Sumeria and shares pillage rewards and combat xp gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles.
    3) Gilgamesh can levy City-State military forces at 50% of cost.

That is actually quite good. WOW