First mod/scenario to play?

which mod or scenario should be my first?

• Earth 18 Civs

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Earth Ice Age

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earth 1000 AD

• Greek World

• Desert War

• American Revolution

• Afterworld

• Broken Star

• Charlemagne's Wars

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • CIV Defense

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Crossroads of the World

• Fall From Heaven: Age of Ice

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Final Frontier

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Gods of Old

• Next War

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • World War II: Road to War

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

aarocks

Chieftain
after spending much more time than i should have on my current game of civ, i have decided when i finish it (which should be soon), the next game i play should be a mod or scenario. however, i dont know them very well, and thought that the forums could help me decide. so i ask anyone out there to suggest the first one i should play. currently, i play on warlord, and i am playing my 6th game in BtS (ill play a vanilla scenario if necessary). i have won games by domination, space race, cultural, and conquest (soon). what do you suggest? i have included a poll, but feel free to comment

It doesn't matter at all...

But my vote goes for Age of Ice because of the mod you'll try after it...

It doesn't matter at all...

But my vote goes for Age of Ice because of the mod you'll try after it...

1. whats the one ill try after it?
2. ik it doesnt really matter but some are more difficult than others, right?

1. whats the one ill try after it?
2. ik it doesnt really matter but some are more difficult than others, right?
1. Well, the main version of Fall from Heaven, of course. ;) :D
2. I really couldn't tell.

oya forgot the original FFH was for civ but wait how do u get 2 it it doesnt come with the main game does it? download from here

and just checking it goes age of ice --> FFH --> FFH2 (in development) right?

FFH was just a sort of first draft of FFH2, which is the giant fantasy mod that is so popular. Age of Ice is just a curtailed version of it that comes bundled with Beyond the Sword--it's kind of like a scenario.

I think the best official mod to try first would be Gods of Old since it is closest to regular Civ, but is different enough, early enough, that it teaches you about learning to learn a mod.

ok well ive decided its either gonna be gods of old cuz its close to reg civ or age of ice... ill decide by descriptions ingame and what i feel like.

I voted for Age of Ice... but on second thought, that's wrong.

You should do Age of Ice last... because after that, you'll immediately download FFH2 and won't play another Civ game for a few months.

Gods of Old, Next War, Broken Star, Crossroads of the World, and Charlemagne are close to regular civ, if that's what you want. They're traditional civ scenarios.

Afterworld and Defense are weird, but kind of interesting and enjoyable.

Final Frontier is very different, worthy of being it's own game if it was expanded, it's Civ-in-space.

Age of Ice, RFC, and Road to War are all fan-mods. Don't bother playing RFC until you download the updated version of RFC. I'd say the same for Road to War, but I can't get deanej's patched version to work properly.

Age of Ice is a scenario that is the history to FFH. After you play FFH, you won't want to play AoI because it has a lot less than FFH, so play it first.

I like playing Next War with the Next War scenario. Just the mod itself means a longer game of Civ4. But the scenario is a nice tactical scenario for those who like modern/future wars. I disable settlers in the XML to focus on war in lieu of expansion. I am thinking of designing my own version of the NW scenario that fills in the gaps for available settling space (Buenos Aires and Quebec should definitely be there, along with a few other cities) and reduces the tech rate to account for the increased number of cities. In most games you'll be at FT by turn 60-80 anyway I've found so in general this might be a good idea if you want tech to continue to remain relevant for the whole of the 200 turn game, although those FT bonuses are actually pretty nice for making some huge cities! The civs need a bit of balance too. Southern Empire is way too powerful, even though they begin with a pitiful military. Europa is definitely the weakest IMHO and needs some extra Russian and former SSR cities.

I would actually recommend skipping Age of Ice and going straight to Fall from Heaven 2, because Age of Ice came close to turning me off of FfH2. I was disappointed with the very limited number of units and how quickly the tech tree ran out. I never finished the scenario because I got bored hunting down cities to conquer with nothing else to do.

I read about FfH2 and gave it a shot anyway and it is much, much better than the Age of Ice scenario.

ok well ive decided its either gonna be gods of old cuz its close to reg civ or age of ice... ill decide by descriptions ingame and what i feel like.
So? What did you play after all, aarocks?

BTW I can't seem to be able to download the patch. I opened it a long time ago, and now it's not opening anymore. And then I tried saving it...and I couldn't find the actual patch in the folder. Any help, please?

Top Bottom