Fixed borders mod for Rise of Mankind

Not sure if it's possible. How would you make the interface for this? Selecting which tiles to offer, which to demand?

Well, I was thinking that this might go the same way as trading cities... in the diplo screen add another entry "Land" with city list and a simple set of trading rules like:

for war ending/peace treaty trading if culture in city > 10000, trade all occupied in 3 tile radius , else 2 tile radius. Option available starting from same prereq as option to occupy tile with military unit.

for peaceful negociation, assuming occupied tiles can be distinguished by culture value > 10 mil, trade as above but only those tiles in 2-3 city radius that have been occupied.

Cost for negociation should be a fixed multiplier (more expensive as closer to city) + additional culture over 10 mil that has been added in the mean time to that tile

How about it? Can this be done?

Well, I was thinking that this might go the same way as trading cities... in the diplo screen add another entry "Land" with city list and a simple set of trading rules like:

for war ending/peace treaty trading if culture in city > 10000, trade all occupied in 3 tile radius , else 2 tile radius. Option available starting from same prereq as option to occupy tile with military unit.

for peaceful negociation, assuming occupied tiles can be distinguished by culture value > 10 mil, trade as above but only those tiles in 2-3 city radius that have been occupied.

Cost for negociation should be a fixed multiplier (more expensive as closer to city) + additional culture over 10 mil that has been added in the mean time to that tile

How about it? Can this be done?

I was thinking more about trading specific tiles, since you will be occupying random territory, close or far from the cities. So how would you specify just the 2 tiles from 2 different cities (you want one for the resource and the other for that connection to the other ocean)? They'd have to be marked on the map somehow. For humans to do it - maybe, but very hard. But for AI :crazyeye:.....impossible.

I agree with you, it would be the best if you could draw a line specifying the new border when offering peace, but for that maybe Civ5 will have an answer.

So how would you specify just the 2 tiles from 2 different cities (you want one for the resource and the other for that connection to the other ocean)?

I didn't say that... the way I see it, AI would be asking for ALL land ocuppied in a 2-3 tile radius from 2 different cities, regardless how many... however the cost weight would be accordingly to number of tiles and extra culture on each.

Someting like base gold per tile multiplied by no of tiles plus sum of culture excess for all tiles.
So, AI pops up with offer to pay that quantity of gold or gold per turn for ALL occupied land from city A and from city B, for example.
If the tile is farther than the AI city can use, it should be worthless.

the way I see it, AI would be asking for ALL land ocuppied in a 2-3 tile radius from 2 different cities, regardless how many... however the cost weight would be accordingly to number of tiles and extra culture on each.

Yes, that seems more reasonable (coding-wise). I'll have to look in the code and see how difficult it will be.

It can even be an option without fixed borders. For instance, if your city is low-cultured and close to highly cultured friendly city, the border can be placed so that your city has a lot of tiles taken away, while your friend can't use it anyway. This is a reasonable trade then.

Yes, that seems more reasonable (coding-wise). I'll have to look in the code and see how difficult it will be.

Btw, please see if this is mergeable with Dom Pedro's diplomacy that Afforess added. Would a separate MLF be recommendable here?

I don't want to scare you, I haven't done enough testing to definitively prove it, and it's 3 am here, so I could be crazy...

I think I caught a reoccuring CTD with Fixed Borders. How do I know it was fixed borders? I loaded an autosave up, saved it as a WBS, and turned off the Fixed Borders in the WBS, and reloaded it. Then, I ran the game again. No CTD.

I looked at the code while debugging, the CTD. I need to do more digging, but my preliminary results showed that for some reason, a unit with no moves left was still some how allowed to call functions that allowed it to do actions that require movement, like pillaging. (The FAssert(CanMove) was screaming at me...)

As I said, this is very preliminary, I will do more testing tomorrow (Rather, today, but in 10 hours), and just thought I should tell you. Perhaps you could skim your code and see if there is a chance one your functions could allow a unit to call an action, even without moves? I'm sure it's just a stupid error...

Disregard, I've found that the same error still exists without Fixed Borders.

There seems to be some problems with fixed boarders. The attached happened because of wars. When Babylon became a vassel I gave them their cities back but yellow is territory which is still mine.

There seems to be some problems with fixed boarders. The attached happened because of wars. When Babylon became a vassel I gave them their cities back but yellow is territory which is still mine.

The yellow territory was not their land originally, you claimed it in the progress of advancing with your armies and/or closing in on neutral territory which will fall to yours if its touched by I think more than 4 tiles of your territory.

The yellow territory was not their land originally, you claimed it in the progress of advancing with your armies and/or closing in on neutral territory which will fall to yours if its touched by I think more than 4 tiles of your territory.

No it was their land before. Sometimes I did raise a size one city and got its 9 tiles but in the case of the Babylonians it was all their territory before. I had forgotten about the claim territory option :)

If you have a save game just prior to the conquest it will be a huge help.

It was a bit of a surprise when I got the archeology event from some barbarian city I had destroyed in the tundra which was nowhere near my civ :)

I don't unfortunately. When you conquer a size 1 city which automatically gets destroyed, you get claim to all 9 squares, design or bug?

I get only the one ruin tile then - for one turn I think - that is when I have no organized religion yet, though.

I get only the one ruin tile then - for one turn I think - that is when I have no organized religion yet, though.

If you raze the city, it is normal only to get the one tile ruin. If you keep it, you get a minimum of the 8 tiles around it.

Top Bottom