Founding Religion Quotes

ozqar

King
Hey everyone, I thought it would be nice to have text from religions to add the pop ups you get when you found them, similar to the quotes you get when you discover techs.

I'd suggest having texts from the sacred texts of the religions though and not commentary on the religions, as the tech quotes are. For Catholicism and Protestantism, which share the same text, I'd look for specific phrases that are emblematic of these denominations and/or justify the separate existence of these branches from the rest.

Here are a couple of ideas (I'm not that convinced about the Buddhist one).

Judaism

Zoroastrianism

Orthodoxy

Catholicism

Protestantism

Islam

Hinduism

God is, in truth, the whole universe: what was, what is and what beyond shall ever be. He is the God of life immortal and of all life that lives by food. His hands and feet are everywhere. He has heads and mouths everywhere. He sees all, He hears all. He is in all, and He Is.” (The Upanishads)

Buddhism

Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox. (Dhammapada)

Confucianism

Taoism

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao,
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things
(Tao Te Ching)

Judaism
And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand two tables of stone. And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.And the LORD passed by before him, and he proclaimed: 'The LORD, the LORD, God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth; keeping mercy unto the thousandth generation, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin. - Exodus 34: 4-6
Or
I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and have taken hold of thy hand, and kept thee, and set thee for a covenant of the people, for a light unto the nations. To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison-house. I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images. - Isiah 42:6-8
Or
"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the commentary. Go and study it." - Hillel the Elder, Babylonian Talmud, tractate Shabbat 31a

Personally, I'd say that the Hillel quote is better suited for the religion, but the Isiah quote has an epic feel that suits game play the best.

Orthodoxy
Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship and this is what I am going to proclaim to you. Acts 17:22-23
Catholicism
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Mathew 16:17-19
Protestantism
Christians are to be taught that he who sees a needy man and passes him by, yet gives his money for indulgences, does not buy papal indulgences but God's wrath.
Christians are to be taught that, unless they have more than they need, they must reserve enough for their family needs and by no means squander it on indulgences.
Christians are to be taught that they buying of indulgences is a matter of free choice, not commanded.
Christians are to be taught that the pope, in granting indulgences, needs and thus desires their devout prayer more than their money.
Christians are to be taught that papal indulgences are useful only if they do not put their trust in them, but very harmful if they lose their fear of God because of them.
- Martin Luther, 95 Theses

Zoroastrianism
Of these Twin Spirits, the Evil one chooses doing the worst,
While the most bountiful Holy Spirit of Goodness, clothing itself in the imperishable heavens, chooses Truth and Righteousness.
And so will those who would please Ahura Mazda with righteous deeds, performed with faith in Truth.
Ahunuvaiti Gatha - Yasna 30:5

Judaism
I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and have taken hold of thy hand, and kept thee, and set thee for a covenant of the people, for a light unto the nations. To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison-house. I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images. - Isiah 42:6-8

I really like this one, especially because it refers to two of the most distinctive features of Judaism, the covenant and the notion of the chosen people.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the commentary. Go and study it." - Hillel the Elder, Babylonian Talmud, tractate Shabbat 31a

Personally, I'd say that the Hillel quote is better suited for the religion, but the Isiah quote has an epic feel that suits game play the best.

This idea is often mentioned as "the golden rule", and it's found in most (if not all) religions. I'd not use it as it's not very distinctive of any religion. Check out the Wikipedia page, it's really interesting!

Catholicism
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Mathew 16:17-19

I was also thinking of having the "you are peter and on this rock I'll build my church" quote for Catholicism, as the Pope's refer to themselves as the successors of Peter. I'm not sure though if this is contested by the Orthodox patriarchs (not that this would disqualify the phrase!).

Zoroastrianism
Of these Twin Spirits, the Evil one chooses doing the worst,
While the most bountiful Holy Spirit of Goodness, clothing itself in the imperishable heavens, chooses Truth and Righteousness.
And so will those who would please Ahura Mazda with righteous deeds, performed with faith in Truth.
Ahunuvaiti Gatha - Yasna 30:5

I really like this text too! Especially the mentions of the Twin Spirits and of the concept of salvation

I was also thinking of having the "you are peter and on this rock I'll build my church" quote for Catholicism, as the Pope's refer to themselves as the successors of Peter. I'm not sure though if this is contested by the Orthodox patriarchs (not that this would disqualify the phrase!).
No, it goes against their principles. They interpret it otherwise.

Confucianism

The Master said, "Is it not pleasant to learn with a constant perseverance and application?
"Is it not delightful to have friends coming from distant quarters?
"Is he not a man of complete virtue, who feels no discomposure though men may take no note of him?"-The Confucius Analects, Chapter 1

子曰:「学而时习之, 不亦说乎。 有朋自远方来, 不亦乐乎。人不知而不愠, 不亦君子乎 」 ——论语·学而

Orthodoxy:
I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of
heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of
God, begotten of the Father before all ages;

Creed of Nicaea. First Council of Nicaea, 325AD

Catholicism:
And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life,
Who proceeds from the Father and the Son

but I too like this:

Protestantism:
They who teach that contrition is not necessary on the part of those who intend to buy souls out of purgatory or to buy confessional privileges preach unchristian doctrine.
Martin Luther, Thesis 35

No, it goes against their principles. They interpret it otherwise.
exactly. This passage is perfect for Catholicism because it is the foundation (see what I did there) upon which the whole theology of the Holy See is built.

Orthodoxy
Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship and this is what I am going to proclaim to you. Acts 17:22-23
I picked this quote, because it is The critical moment where Christianity breaks from Judaism. Paul establishes the concept of salvation in Christ as being inherently universal and predicted or at least compatible with Hellenistic religion. This speech is the foundation upon which the early church grew. I also like the dichotomy of Peter for Catholicism and Paul for Orthodoxy

I think shorter quotes or outright creeds that reflect central beliefs of their religion work better here.

Orthodoxy: the Nicaean creed works well here.

Catholicism: I'd keep it to "And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church."

Protestantism: maybe Luther's "A simple layman armed with Scripture is greater than the mightiest Pope without it", encapsulating the idea of sola scriptura that unites all Protestant churches.

Islam: "There is no god but God. Muhammad is the messenger of God"

etc.

Top Bottom