Freed reporters arrive home in US [from North Korea]

Phlegmak

Deity
Link below includes video:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8185260.stm

The plane carrying two US reporters freed by North Korea from months of detention has landed in Los Angeles.

Laura Ling and Euna Lee were granted a pardon after a visit to Pyongyang by former US President Bill Clinton.

The two women had been found guilty of entering North Korea illegally in March and sentenced to 12 years hard labour.

Mr Clinton's wife, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, welcomed the move but said it would not affect talks over North Korea's nuclear programme.

Mrs Clinton, speaking on a visit to Kenya, said the future of US relations with North Korea was up to Pyongyang.

'Private envoy'

The two reporters left North Korea on the chartered flight to Los Angeles with Mr Clinton, after North Korean leader Kim Jong-il issued them with a special pardon.

Their plane touched down at Burbank airport in Los Angeles shortly before 0600 (1300 GMT) on Wednesday morning.

The official North Korean News Agency (KCNA) said their release was a sign of the country's "humanitarian and peace-loving policy".

Mr Clinton's unannounced visit to Pyongyang had been described as a private mission but a White House official later confirmed that North Korea had asked Mr Clinton to visit.

The official said the women had told their families during telephone calls from prison that Pyongyang had suggested they could be freed if Mr Clinton came to the country as a private envoy.

A senior US official said President Barack Obama had been aware of the mission from its early stages and that US allies involved in the six party talks over North Korea's nuclear programme were also informed.

US officials earlier said the North Korean government had agreed in advance that Mr Clinton's mission would not touch on the question of its nuclear programme.

Mr Clinton was the highest-profile American to visit the reclusive Communist state since ex-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright in 2000.

Families 'overjoyed'

Speaking as she arrived in Kenya at the start of a tour of Africa, Mrs Clinton welcomed the release and said she had briefly spoken to her husband.

She said the US had been "working hard" and that the women were "happy and relieved to be returning home".

But she stressed it was "a totally separate issue" from the nuclear talks and that the US would now "have to go back to the ongoing efforts to try to convince the North Koreans" to return to the talks.

"The future of our relationships with the North Koreans is really up to them," she said of Pyongyang.

She said North Korea could either "continue to follow the path that is filled with provocative action, which further isolates them from the international community, or they can decide to renew their discussions with the partners in the six-party talks".

Mrs Clinton also denied North Korean media reports that Mr Clinton had apologised for the incident involving the women. "That is not true. That did not occur," she said.

The White House earlier denied a KCNA report that Mr Clinton had conveyed a message from Mr Obama.

Pyongyang dropped out of the six-party talks after the UN censured a long-range missile test in April. The parties include Russia, China, Japan, the US and both Koreas.

An underground nuclear test and further missile tests followed, provoking new UN Security Council sanctions.

Amnesty plea

The families of the journalists said they were "overjoyed" to hear of their freedom.

"I have not slept for three days. I'm just so happy, we can't wait, we're counting minutes, counting hours," said Ms Ling's mother.

In a statement posted on a website, they thanked Mr Clinton and also former Vice-President Al Gore for their efforts to get the women released.

The two reporters were arrested by North Korean guards while filming a video about refugees for California-based internet broadcaster Current TV.

The White House had pressed for their release and Mrs Clinton last month requested that they be granted amnesty.

Analysts say that Kim Jong-il is eager to improve relations with Washington as he prepares to name a successor.

President Kim is believed to have suffered a stroke a year ago and also has chronic diabetes and heart disease. Analysts say his third son is being lined up to succeed him.

Discuss! Or not.

Judging by the photographs of Clinton in NK, Kim Jong-il is clearly still alive, but he's not looking too good.

Clinton did a good job. He's a good diplomat. I wonder who's idea the trip was?

Clinton did a good job. He's a good diplomat. I wonder who's idea the trip was?

The treasonous BLACK African usurper sent the immoral adulterer and murder to negotiate with TERRERISTS!!!!! Wake up people and take this country back!!!! (;);)).

I wonder what the Americans are giving Kim.

And those people were idiots getting themselves in that situation and deserved everything they got.

And those people were idiots getting themselves in that situation and deserved everything they got.

If you believe the NK government when they say the reporters did 'cross the border to conduct a smear campaign', then sure.

But I seriously doubt that Al Gore's TV program is a secret CIA operation, and these women were on a mission to spread propaganda into NK to overthrow the government. :crazyeye:

You miss the point. Merely crossing the border illegally in the first place means they were stupid beyong belief.

You miss the point. Merely crossing the border illegally in the first place means they were stupid beyong belief.

So we would be justified in sending all illegal mexican immigrants to 12 years of hard labor? Unless of course a mexican celebrity would like to visit the white house to plead for the release of 2 of them....

So we would be justified in indefinitely holding completely innocent people while continually torturing and even killing them now and then?

Try an analogy that actually makes some sense in the context of what they actually did, such as this one: Two Soviet "reporters" who snuck into the US while we were still ostensibly at war with them. Gee, what would we do...

So we would be justified in sending all illegal mexican immigrants to 12 years of hard labor?
There is a huge difference.
You know what kind of a country North Korea is and what you can expect from them. I am not saying that what North Korea does is "right", but it is to be expected and if you are stupid enough to put yourself in that situation, then you deserve to face the consequences of your actions.

Besides, North Korea was probably betting on the Americans to come and get them. And I seriously doubt this was a show of "maturity and compassion", I would be utterly shocked if the US didn't promise them something, either now or at future negotiations.

A big thank you for showing such maturity and compassion?
Hardly. If North Korean leaders were compassionate and mature, they never would have sentenced a couple of reporters to years of hard labor for doing no more than allegedly crossing the border without permission. This act was born out of immaturity - North Korea wants to feel like an important and powerful nation, instead of like the childish and irrelevant insane asylum that it truly is. So, they arrest these two, and then quietly tell the Americans that they'll release them if they get a visit from Bill Clinton - a visit they didn't get, but wanted, while he was president. This makes them feel all big and important and generous - three things that do not, in any way, apply to Kimmy. ;)

I love Bill Clinton.

This thread gives me the willies.

Top Bottom