French culture

Being loud and indignant, burning trucks full of sheep and going on strike. :mischief:

Edit: I can't believe I forgot 'surrendering'. :D

Beautiful food, philosophy, cinema, Jo le taxi, 'allo 'allo, guys dressed as robots making dance music, the possibly best art gallery in the world, etc...

really really really good electro-house.

If its philosophy is any indicator, French culture died about 100yrs ago.

Could you elaborate?

Mainly just that most of the famous French "philosophers" of the 20th century (Derrida, Lycan, Deleuze, Lyotard, etc., etc.) were frauds and charlatans, concerned more with deliberate obfuscation and fake profundity than with saying anything that was actually meaningful. Thankfully, the tradition of the good French philosophers (e.g. Descartes) is alive and well, just not in France, which has largely been a disgrace to its traditions.

I think French culture is still there.

"Italians are French in a good mood" - Jean Cocteau

All the various 20th-21st century visual art from France, at least most of what I've seen, tends to be horrible too.

I'd say that the strongest thing about French culture today is the excellent food.

All the various 20th-21st century visual art from France, at least most of what I've seen, tends to be horrible too.

I'd say that the strongest thing about French culture today is the excellent food.

You can thank the French monarchy 500 years ago who recruited Italian
chefs to teach them how to cook.:rolleyes:

If that's true I'm very happy.

:lol: Really? I had always heard that with regard to the marvelous sauces that France is famous for, they were developed because the meat they used was so often rotten (before refrigeration developed) and instead of developping cured meats more like the Italians (to prevent the meat from rotting) they just developed really really really good sauces so that the rotten meat wouldn't bother them as much.

I have no idea if that is accurate.

Well, I don't know about the France vs Italy thing, but I do know that seasoning - of all sort - was in fact primarily used to cover up rottenness.

Top Bottom