The sound of a ticking clock in your native language

Gori the Grey

The Poster
Psychologists have observed that over a uniform tick-tick-tick-tick of a clock, the mind will impose an alternating rhythm.

In English, that is generally conveyed through the sounds TICK-tock-TICK-tock.

I wonder if those sounds are uniform across languages or if they differ (the way French pigs say groin-groin instead of oink-oink).

How does your native language express the alternating sounds of a clock's rhythm? Spell it out phonetically, if you think I'll need that to understand.

Thank you.

Oh, and by the way, after some answers have come in, I will have a follow-up question, so check back again.

Last edited:
In German it's written tick-tack, which in English is probably pronounced somewhat like tick-tawk or so. So this is pretty similar, but German and English are also very closely related languages, so it probably does not mean a lot, if no further context from other languages is there.

Psychologists have observed that over a uniform tick-tick-tick-tick of a clock, the mind will impose an alternating rhythm.

In English, that is generally conveyed through the sounds TICK-tock-TICK-tock.

I wonder if those sounds are uniform across languages or if they differ (the way French pigs say groin-groin instead of oink-oink).

How does your native language express the alternating sounds of a clock's rhythm? Spell it out phonetically, if you think I'll need that to understand.

Thank you.
Yes, because the mind creates a pattern to easily account for each sound being in its own position in a progression=>thus you can realistically trace back a few of the members of the progression. It is tik-tok (or tik-tak) here too, though it might have been different a few centuries ago.

Last edited:
Among the youth of the world it is TikTok

In German it's written tick-tack, which in English is probably pronounced somewhat like tick-tawk or so. So this is pretty similar, but German and English are also very closely related languages, so it probably does not mean a lot, if no further context from other languages is there.
"Tack" is pronounced like "tack" - a pin used to pin stuff to a wall or bulletin board. Short 'a' sound.

Belgian pigs do oink oink and groink, as could be expected.

1673527360060.jpeg

I'll have to look for clocks.

Edit, it's tic tac in French - in Flemish written tik tak. sounds the same though.

in literature they even do the speed of different clocks

tiktak..., tikketakke...;

Or large, three note clocks

bim, bam, bom

Some people study these things apparently :

Last edited:
Top Bottom