Future Civ3 SGOTMs

It seems to me that a big part of our participation challenges are because the games have been very long - lots of land, lots of AI. We might do better with a short game - small map, not too many AI, limited number of cities. We could borrow a map from a COTM. The first SGOTM I played used a map from the first GOTM I played, but we played a different civ and we played 5CC. (I don't know how much the map was changed, as my first GOTM ended in early defeat, and although I replayed it many times I never got very far.)

Lumping a bunch of suggestions together gives:
Antique democracy 5CC on a small map, with 1/6/1 spears that can't pillage and no military tradition, going for a culture win - 10K in a single city, or 20K civ-wide.
I put this out only as a possible way of thinking about what we might do, not as a well-thought-out suggestion. What would people like to play?

I think we might take Alan's suggestion, and run it informally. If we get some participation and interest, we could work towards a more formal competition in the next months.

You could be right about the size of the recent games, although I feel the underlying trend is a general decline in interest in Civ3. Average submissions to C3C GOTMs over the last year were under 25, and they have fallen below 20 in the last three months.

The SGOTMs started as informal games in the SG forums, taking old GOTM maps, either as they were or modified. That may be a way to see if you can resurrect interest in the format.

I'm sure that the general move away from Civ3 hurts a lot, but the last few SGOTM have been monstrously long - about 30 AI in games running into the modern era. Just the IBT time involved in such a game is significant.

To survive, we need to get casual, curious people to give SGOTM a try with interesting games requiring not too large of a time commitment.

1) It seems to me that a big part of our participation challenges are because the games have been very long - lots of land, lots of AI. We might do better with a short game - small map, not too many AI, limited number of cities.

2) We could borrow a map from a COTM. The first SGOTM I played used a map from the first GOTM I played, but we played a different civ and we played 5CC. (I don't know how much the map was changed, as my first GOTM ended in early defeat, and although I replayed it many times I never got very far.)

Lumping a bunch of suggestions together gives:
Antique democracy 5CC on a small map,

3)with 1/6/1 spears that can't pillage

4) and no military tradition,

5)going for a culture win - 10K in a single city, or 20K civ-wide.
1) Good idea. Better to have short game. 5CC ok. Demidog? or Emperor?
2) better have random map to be on isolated land with river and BG, but known map also OK.
3) To avoid troubls better to have standart military (no Horse units, as spoonwood suggested.)
4) Yes, and no armies.
5) Good. But to atract more players why not to allow Conquest and Dipllo?

I can do biq file, who can generate map?

I see I'm late to the party, but I would be interested in joining. I'm a regent-monarch player and I don't know that I could keep up, though. I'm nowhere in the league of the people I see posting here. I see that these games last 6-12 months? Wow. I might have missed out this time, but if you are counting players, I would like to tackle this challenge if it won't drag down a team.

So I just found out about this format, and it's something I think would be a lot of fun. I hope another gets started :cry:

Count me in if:

* Short game - tiny or small map.
* No complaining, just fun. Put me in a rookie team.

Top Bottom