Future of RifE

Thought I explained this already, perhaps not. Simply put, there are no gods/angels/demons or anything of that nature; There is, however, magic. And religious magic.

Basically, I tried to base everything I could on actual science. In this case, I ran with the idea that our brain functions actually make use of quantum mechanics, and have direct effects on space-time; Magic in E'iten is an outgrowth of this, and is essentially a process of redirecting energy from one place to another (something that is very important to the setting). This can be accomplished through natural aptitude and training (mages of various kinds), or intense faith (religious magics); Whether or not a religion is TRUE has no bearing on how intensely it's adherents believe it to be true.

Currently there are 6 entirely different forms of magic in the mod (though one is not what you would traditionally call magic); There are no spell spheres or mana types.

Ok, I understand better now. I knew that God's didn't exist but wasn't sure about anything else :D .
I know you're just beginning the mod but if you need any help lorewise, I would be happy to write some characters infos.

First off: I am working on the bugfix release of RifE; It will include all the bugfixes from the SVN, some content that was never included in an actual release (the new affinity system, xUPT, etc), and some rather impressive work from Snarko: Any and all CTD's that he could find are fixed, Unit Statistics is fixed, and the biggest culprit behind slow turn times has been sped up by more than 95%. :eek:

It's taking a little while (I have been working on the leaderfile, for instance, for the past hour and a half.... Lots to merge, but just enough that I can't merge for me to have to go line by line :sad:), but it is coming. I'm hoping to have it done and uploaded by Friday, as I'll be gone from Friday to Sunday. :lol:

Ok, I understand better now. I knew that God's didn't exist but wasn't sure about anything else :D .
I know you're just beginning the mod but if you need any help lorewise, I would be happy to write some characters infos.

As of now, there are no character infos. I'm sticking to the mechanical side of it, lore for now is limited to the world/civ level, no leaders or anything have been even contemplated.

Any and all CTD's that he could find are fixed, Unit Statistics is fixed, and the biggest culprit behind slow turn times has been sped up by more than 95%. :eek:
... :woohoo:. that's all I have to say :D

Rise from Erebus 1.4 Beta is now available via the Public SVN branch!

Opted to stick with the 1.4 name, even though it doesn't deliver on content, for one important reason: 1.4 was never going to be called 1.4, but instead 2.0. :lol:

This is more or less a polish release; It will not contain new content (aside from what was in the SVN), but will have loads of bugfixes. I'd like to get some playtest reports back on it before I upload an installer (sometime after this weekend, as I'll be out of town).

... :woohoo:. that's all I have to say :D

Just keep in mind: Turn times themselves are not 95%. That one function was sped up by 95% (specifically, one dealing with promotions).

Turn times in general ARE quite noticeably faster though. And I just ran 300 turns on autoplay, no issues. :p

well... no matter.. 95% improve on a task eating 20%-40%of turn time is still nice
(if it is 95% reduction of a task using only 5%.. it is not so good.. but lo. I'll still take it :D)

Edit : as a side question : the content will be are "debugged former public svn contents" or "as many of the former dev svn content that worked" ?
Edit2 : will there be a changelog for the last version of RifE (RiPe :D)

the svn is trying to download ... 500 megs of sound.. I thought I already had those ... well we'll see
Edit : ok. all is dl.
However, I have a lot of xml load errors. I think it's due to my version of RifE , but I can't be sure; and it worsened after uploading this last release.
I hope one day there'll be a .exe of the last release so I can install all civ, bts, rife from bottom up, without svn...
Spoiler :
had some event xml bugging, now I just thought of transcripting them : "leader_..." infoclass incorrect ; allocating zero or less memory in cvcmlLoadUtility (civ4civilizationInfos.xml); there are more siblings than memory allocated for them (same xml) (many leaders)... and many others errors in relationleaderinfo ; for some summons event related (winterwolf, korachkon...etc)

thanks valkrionn.
I'll try that.
(but why does the svn wants to download 500-600 Mo of sound! I'm curious about that... and it does it each time, even if I update twice in the same day, I dl twice the sound files...)

Rev 296 is up; Fixed a small bug, removed some unneeded tags, and hit the barbarians with the nerf bat. Specifically, just those barbs spawned via lairs; Seems to have been enough. The lairs were damn near impregnable, which hurt AI expansion too much; Now they're manageable, though the AI still isn't exploring well enough (need to go through lair results, make it more likely to remove the lair the first time, IMO).

D'tesh has also been made human only. AI is simply not capable of playing that civ at all; Scions it can manage (albeit poorly) because of the free spawns, but D'tesh does not have that ability.

Hi,

I would like to suggest to keep D'Tesh playable by AI.

I always liked to have D'Tesh on the map for flavour purposes.

It doesnt matter that they pose no challenge, although I remember one game where they managed to bring their capital to 15 pops.
I do like their terrain-shaping ability. It simply adds flavour to clean this dark place and return it to the free people. Basically I treat them like the skelett spawning lairs or like Archeron and these are flavourful as well, although Archeron is actually a challenge.

Generally I always have following fixed set of civilizations which I always want to see on the map: Malakim, Illian, D'Tesh, Sheaim & Elohim (to counter the Sheaim), Ljolsalfar, Khazad, Lizards.
It is just about the visual aspects, even though Illian, D'Tesh and Khazad normally perform badly and Elohim & Sheaim perform only average.
For challenge purpose I rather add Archos, Hippus, Bannor or both Lizards.

But at the end playing RifE is, for me atleast, as much about flavour as about challenge.

That's probably not going to happen. However, it's a very simple change for you to make on your end; Go to Rise from Erebus/Assets/XML/Civilizations/CivilizationInfos.xml, search for D'tesh, and change bAIPlayable from 0 to 1.

In other news, we've decided to shift E'iten to Civ5. I had expected the expansion to come much later in the year than it actually is (hadn't been paying attention to it), so with it coming so soon I'd like to take advantage of it.

One last thing: With E'iten moved to Civ5 rather than Civ4, there are a few mechanics that we've already added, and would still like to get released. Snarko is still working on the AI (and is working on a large project that should both improve AI and turn times); DynTraits is finished and begging to be implemented; CityClasses is working as originally designed, and could greatly improve barbarian variety (while simultaneously allowing us to cut down on the number of lairs, so we get more of the SpawnGroups instead!).

So suddenly, this isn't the Final Patch any longer. It will still be the "definitive" release, in terms of stability, but there will be a few optional addons for it at some point. The first of which will definitely be DynTraits; That will require a large redesign for the leaders, though, and likely trim quite a few of them, so it won't be soon.

For the record: DynTraits was implemented as planned for E'iten, in which all leaders have a unique, upgradeable trait (emergent gameplay), and can gain several minor traits (minor gameplay). There is no distinction in leader type, so there is no need for the majority of the Minor or Emergent leaders in RifE; So quite a few will be cut, to reduce trait dedundancy.

I now have another reason to get G&K when it comes out :D

nooooooooo
not ciV..... :(

well.. i'll buy it when e'iten is released then.

[grumpy]I already understood that :( what bother me the most is that i'll have to learn to play CiV before playing E'iten... else I won't understand the basics. well I'm thinking I'll even gonna have to buy a new computer...[/grumpy]
at least that means that there will be some other new RifE releases :D

ho... does that also mean that GaK will be more "moddable" than CiV ?

/ good luck.

I have a pretty penny, a sexy nickle, and an androgynous dime with Valkrionn's name on them if 1.4 gets released. Just putting it out there.:mischief:

Top Bottom