[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we talk about DLC in this context, we're talking about content that is sold separated from the main game. Red Death was added as part of the main game (it only works with Gathering Storm afaik, so it's actually part of GS), while the minor DLCs and the expansions are separated. If you go to steam and see the DLCs list, you won't find Red Death there. Whatever Firaxis is brewing, it will be on that list, as something sold separately. It might be an expansion, it might be a DLC, it might even be a free DLC, like the one they released for Xcom 2, but it will be a DLC and it definitely won't be like Red Death, which was just added with a patch.
I should have stayed off the is this a DLC or not part.
I have been skipping back and forth between this thread and a thread for a SCI FI game on Steam, doing so has increased my frustration with 2Ks as no fewer than two of the Developers of the SF game answered a question I had within 9 minutes of my post, while we have not had any solid word from the game we are discussing in 6 months and the last of that was a vague "we are not done yet". Dang right you are not done you have not even fixed the World Builder that should have been complete at launch.

I should have stayed off the is this a DLC or not part.
I have been skipping back and forth between this thread and a thread for a SCI FI game on Steam, doing so has increased my frustration with 2Ks as no fewer than two of the Developers of the SF game answered a question I had within 9 minutes of my post, while we have not had any solid word from the game we are discussing in 6 months and the last of that was a vague "we are not done yet". Dang right you are not done you have not even fixed the World Builder that should have been complete at launch.

Usually I'm not a fan of this "should be complete at launch" kind of rant. Did they sell you a world builder? Did they announce back in 2016 that the game would come with a world builder, then they didn't deliver it? The way I see it, a game need to deliver what they sold. If they announced something, if that somehow influenced people into buying the game, then it need to be there. A good example is No man's sky. They made it sound like the game would be MP, then when it launched, that wasn't the case. A lot of people bought it hoping to find their friends in that ridiculous huge universe and play together, but the feature didn't exist yet, it was just wishful thinking from the developers. Firaxis never said anything about a world builder, so why do you feel like it should be "complete at launch"? That's limiting. If developers start to take this kind of rant seriously, they will just stop developing games post launch, since anything they do post launch is taken as something that should have been complete at launch. It's an unrealistic expectation that makes zero sense. They added a world builder to the game for free, something they didn't sell us, it's extra content. They still working on it, for free. Would it be nice if it was a fully developed feature at launch? Yes, but it isn't any less nice that the developers been doing an effort to deliver this kind of feature now. Just be patient.

I don't necessarily agree with 2K/Firaxis marketing strategy, but it's their strategy, I respect that. At the end of the day, they don't really owe us anything and, really, nobody will die just because we need to wait for some info on what they are doing. Furthermore, once it's announced, none of this wait will really matter. Everyone will board the hype train and hopefully not crash at disappointment station.

It seems like the games market has a hard time moving product that cost more than $60. The price has been stuck there for more than 20 years.

So they take that $60 and multiply it by the projected sales numbers then subtract % profit for corporate, and that's the budget.

They produce as much game as they can for the budget, and that's the base game.

Then they figure up whether it's feasible to produce add-ons to the base game. Each one gets its own little budget to produce it.

If they were to produce a game product that provided the base game plus all the add-ons all at once, the price point would be above what most consumers are willing to spend. So it's logical for them to have a basic version and add-ons. It's not even fair to say that it's subdivided, because it was never "whole" in the first place.

The fact that two people had already posted about the update by the time I got here, when I saw it a mere 7 minutes after it happened suggests that our collective obsession is getting a bit out of hand...

I wish I knew if all these updates meant anything imminent. All of the patches since GS have included testing on the mac and linux branches at least a week in advance, but we've seen nothing there for months.

The fact that two people had already posted about the update by the time I got here, when I saw it a mere 7 minutes after it happened suggests that our collective obsession is getting a bit out of hand...

I wish I knew if all these updates meant anything imminent. All of the patches since GS have included testing on the mac and linux branches at least a week in advance, but we've seen nothing there for months.
I don't like being faced with the truth.

Oh I completely forgot to add all the days back when SmokeA was added: ,,This is getting out of hand! Now there are two of them!"

Whatever is going on, it still doesn't appear to be soon. All we really know is that something is there.

Whatever is going on, it still doesn't appear to be soon. All we really know is that something is there.
But four updates to one branch in a week, most of them in the evening? Someone's working on something. Maybe an internship is coming to an end and they're finishing their bit of the next patch (which won't be out for a long time). I guess I can live with that story.

Usually I'm not a fan of this "should be complete at launch" kind of rant. Did they sell you a world builder? Did they announce back in 2016 that the game would come with a world builder, then they didn't deliver it? The way I see it, a game need to deliver what they sold.
Well, I don't agree with everything said by ghost88, but, from a modder point of view, even if technically they haven't lied and I still believe that they want "to land in a place similar to Civ V", factually they failed to deliver what they sold in relation to modding.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/11/civilization-vi-details/
The game is running on a brand new suite of software, built to be far more mod-friendly than its predecessor
That's true, such great potential... Still not unlocked.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civilization-6-interview-strategy-mods
We are going to be talking in more detail about modding further down the road. We haven’t announced when we’re releasing our tools, it’ll probably be soon after release. A lot of the tools will be similar to what we had in Civ V. [Even] if you’re a highly skilled modder, it was extremely difficult to work on leaders, and our elite units in the game, so we’re paying special focus to that. We are bringing mods to multiplayer as well. As usual, a big emphasis on modding.
Similar, except for the WorldBuilder, the source code, the API...

It's true that they've payed a special focus on access to units/leaders, but added even more complexity in the process, limited the diffusion of custom made models, blocked the simple method of using an existing model for a new units by referencing the artdef entry in the units table and removed the powerful ability to mod artdef tables with SQL...

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/0...ts-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy
Regarding that promised mod support, Beach as assurances and some encouraging hints. “We’re going to talk about this in depth later, but what we have done is added a whole bunch of flexibility in terms of how game rules are built, and created, and linked to the different subsystems in our game. And that sort of fresh approach to things is going to make the modders be able to go nuts right out of the gate in terms of adding things.”
It should have been "swapping" instead of "adding" for that last sentence to be true.

And still waiting for the "detail" or "depth" talk guys :coffee:

Well, I don't agree with everything said by ghost88, but, from a modder point of view, even if technically they haven't lied and I still believe that they want "to land in a place similar to Civ V", factually they failed to deliver what they sold in relation to modding.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/11/civilization-vi-details/

That's true, such great potential... Still not unlocked.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civilization-6-interview-strategy-mods

Similar, except for the WorldBuilder, the source code, the API...

It's true that they've payed a special focus on access to units/leaders, but added even more complexity in the process, limited the diffusion of custom made models, blocked the simple method of using an existing model for a new units by referencing the artdef entry in the units table and removed the powerful ability to mod artdef tables with SQL...

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/0...ts-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy

It should have been "swapping" instead of "adding" for that last sentence to be true.

And still waiting for the "detail" or "depth" talk guys :coffee:

I must of misread predecessor as predecessors as CIII was far easier to "Mod" as I could build a scenario with map even though I have no computer programing skills.
Even in 5 I could "Build my own world".
If not for your work on YnAMP I could not even enjoy playing this game at all any more, and after the better part of a quarter century as a CivFanatic ( I had lurked and had another account prior to my current one) the way 2K has failed to give any information on the state of the game has left me wanting to paraphrase a man that died 184 years ago today " 2K you can go to heck I'm going to Praxis Games" at least for my game playing for now. Unfortunately I'm as insane as the rest of you and will keep coming back here expecting 2K to change and actually inform us on their plans.

The build number is completely irrelevant.
A new build number, as I understand it, is because one or several files got altered, deleted and/or added. So the build is different.
When it comes to 2kqa_c vs smoke/runner, I think Firaxis are doing 2 things at the same time. Maybe they testing the game we have today, against patches/fixes/changes they have been working on lately. And Smoke is the game with new content, later to be released as DLC "runner"

Oh, nobody actually ran the game in a few last hours?
We got some more free MP scenarios, none on them seems particularly interesting.

As someone who is running the game as I type, I don't think so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom