Galactic Civilizations II

You can even buy the game and download it online! this is definetly a good way to stop piracy, no need to wait for the game to be released in a particular country or region.

I have been playing the game for like an hour or so, and so far it seems like a really good game to me. I agree that the min specs are great so that many people can play the game without spending $2000 on a brand new system.

Last night when i was getting ready to fight the Terrans I was amassing fleets by his planets, the AI came forward and said "I see what you're doing, massing fleets only to quickly declare war and wipe me out, if my difficulty level was set higher I wouldn't allow this".

Pretty nice but I felt really guilty about it. I guess I gotta crank up the difficulty.

This is a quote by one of the posters in the GalCiv II first impressions thread in Octopus Overlords. I thought it was funny as hell and i posted it :D

Don't you love those funny/clever answers?

I finally had the chance to play Gal Civ 2 and I must say it's a very fun game! :D The graphics are really simple but awesome and the interface is pretty cool as well! I greatly enjoy the ship building feature as I can easily spend hours designing new spaceships as new parts get discovered. Plus finding planets is neat as well. The other night, I found a level 26 planet! Immediately bought a colony ship and sent it flying there before the other civ could get to it.

Of course now I'm playing at beginner level with the civ AI at fool because I'm still new to the game but once I know the ropes better I'll notch up the difficulty as the space battle screen is pretty cool.

I've ordered of Amazon UK, and it still hasn't been dispatched, and it should've been on Friday! :mad: When will it get to the UK?

The European release date has been pushed until March 3rd (if i'm not mistaken), so i guess you will have to wait a bit more. When i heard that, i ordered straight away from Stardock.

If you are impatient you can cancel your order at Amazon and order the game directly from Stardock. This way you can download it right away and still have the CD shipped to you. If you don't mind the extra cost of course ;)

Yea, BlizzardGR, that is a pretty cool feature. Had the same thing happen in a game last night. After taking out the Drath, who surrendered to me after capturing their homeworld, I had a bunch of combat ships and transport fleets with nothing to do. So, I decided that I'd park them next to the Iconian homeworld, conveniently right next door, and get ready to bend them to my will. Next thing I know they're sending an envoy with a message similar to the one you posted, to the effect of "Though we know what you are about to do, and we're basically powerless to stop it, we wanted you to know that we know what you're up to, turn us up to Intelligent next time and we'll give you what for". As it happened, I took their homeworld, after a tough fight, and another planet, whereon they surrendered their remaining world to the Torians, who were my main rival.

Too cool, the adjustable AI in this game.

Good suggestion, BlizzardGR, except that they don't seem to accept Solo cards. Is there anyway I can download it using Solo?

and the best part is that the devs will keep adding new AI scripts (among other things) for months to come in the form of updates! Those guys at Stardock are just great!

eh.... Solo? Sorry but i haven't much idea when it comes to credit cards. Myself, i used a relative's card to order. I don't have one of my own.

edit: sorry about the double post.

Soooo.... see if I understood you guys.

If I download the game, Will I be able to use ALL the patches they release? Cos I heard that people who downloaded CIV IV from a website (Not Firaxis) weren't able to patch the game for a while. Apparently that website doesn't support patches.

If these people support patches, I might download the game this evening.

Yep -- you can download the patches for the downloaded version. Heck, you can buy it from GalCiv2.com, download it, and have them ship a retail box and CD to your house [after paying shipping and handling, of course]. There's no difference between the downloaded game and the game on CD, except that you have to download the pieces of the game in bits [main game, Tutorials, multimedia pretty much are downloaded seperately] and the CD had everything. ^_^

And if you want an idea of how long Stardock supports their products? I got Galactic Civilizations I in 2003 [yeah it was released? Not entirely sure, but anyway] and they continued releasing little patches and updates for a long time. They added in a bunch of stuff in a "free online expansion pack", including I think Rally Points. And then they released Altarian Prophecy and added a few critical updates to that. So...that's, like, over a year and a half of support? They're perfectionists. ^_^

Bought the game today... have already completed 2 games (well sort of... I kinda gave up on both when I realized I was losing badl). I started out on normal difficulty, and got wiped out both times. Time to turn down the difficulty I guess. The AI is smart I tell ya.

Anyway I love GC2. I played the first one for a while, which wasn't too bad. Didn't even realize they made a sequel until yesterday when I saw on the front page of CFC that it was released. Checked it out, and bought a copy today.

I tell you what, though... My past experiences with Stardock have been very positive, and I keep hearing great things about them. Kinda wish other game developers were like that (especially Sony Online Entertainment, who is currently dead last on my list). Major props to Stardock, who currently rates #1 in customer service (the only rating that matters in my book).

Just to show how neat the ship editor is.

Space... the final frontier... ;)

Attachments

• starciv.jpg
    starciv.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 225
Am I missing the point of starbases or simply overthinking about them? I know you always put them on resources, but after that I have no idea how many, where to put them, and how many Constructors to feed into them! It seems like after the initial Colony Ship rush is over all I'm building is Constructors until a new type of ship becomes available. How much is too much?

leonel said:
Just to show how neat the ship editor is.

Space... the final frontier... ;)

My first game had a whole horde of Star Trek knock offs. I called them Roddenberrys and Bermans. After that game, I sat down to build replacements for the starting ships, and I really began to play with the ship editor:

The Lance is a basic snub fighter hull with no equipment, waiting for weapons techs.

Front and Back:

The Explorer is a class 0 ship that supplements your flagship as a long range sensor vessel. Its sensor strength is equal to your flagship's, and it's faster than a scout.

Front and Back:

The Pioneer is a class 0 fast colonisation ship. It moves almost as quickly as your flagship.

Front and Back

The Worker is a long range starbase constructor. It's slow, but can fly farther than your flagship.

Front and Back

How is the campaign in this game? How does that work in a turn based game? Do you play it with the humans or also other civs?

Campaign? I'm too busy having fun with the ship building! :cool:

Also those ships look neato, doronron! :D I wish that the game would allow for the export of ships so other people can download them!

Top Bottom