Galactic Civilizations II

I'd have to agree. Admittedly, I was late to the party with Galciv1, but overall I just wasn't as impressed with it. Galciv2, on the other hand...

This game is likely going to run through the same life cycle Civ II did, being played constantly, updated with mods, and pretty much having a permanent place on my hard drive until the next sequel is released.

And leonel, provided people have the same version and access to the CE content, I don't see why taking copies of these ships from the ships directory off the My Documents\My Games\Galciv2 folder wouldn't run on anyone's machine.

Ditto. I bought GalCiv1 solely because Moo3 sucked so badly. I wanted to love it just to spite Moo3, but couldn't "get into it". I am so far getting into the sequel.

@Kolpo: The campaign is single player, but non-linear, which means that if you win a mission you go along one string of missions, if you lose you go along another.
@HULKsmash: Sorry, I have absolutely no idea when it will come out in the far east. Your best bet would be to download it off galciv2.com.

Hey Tboy, did you download the game? Did you overcome the problem with the solo card? Just curious cause i've no idea what a solo card is.

It would be so nice with separate forum :)
I have 100s of questions that would test even the civfanatics themselves :p

Basically I kinda don't have anything to do, I've queued stuff on my planets, building starbases and settling them on military resource that I have nearby and pressing turn all the time. Ofc I tech but I don't get anything useful from them, like I can't build no new ships, can't upgrade old ones, no idea what is going on. In Civ you open up stuff when teching even early on.

You get upgraded buildings and such but they are upgrading themselves IIRC.

So now I'm going deep into one techtree, going for terraforming, to finally be able to do something else I guess

So what am I doing wrong (besides everything) :)

Melhisedek said:
It would be so nice with separate forum :)
I have 100s of questions that would test even the civfanatics themselves :p

Basically I kinda don't have anything to do, I've queued stuff on my planets, building starbases and settling them on military resource that I have nearby and pressing turn all the time. Ofc I tech but I don't get anything useful from them, like I can't build no new ships, can't upgrade old ones, no idea what is going on. In Civ you open up stuff when teching even early on.

You get upgraded buildings and such but they are upgrading themselves IIRC.

So now I'm going deep into one techtree, going for terraforming, to finally be able to do something else I guess

So what am I doing wrong (besides everything) :)

You should watch you're rivals more closely. If you hit the turn button like crazy many things they do will slip away unnoticed. For example, one of your friends or allies may be at war with another race that you don't want to go at war with but it would benefit you if they are destroyed or weakened. So you can supply your ally with weapons and tech to assist them. To be successfull though, you will have to watch their moves closely.There are many other things you can do as well.

What difficulty are you playing on?

doronron said:
And leonel, provided people have the same version and access to the CE content, I don't see why taking copies of these ships from the ships directory off the My Documents\My Games\Galciv2 folder wouldn't run on anyone's machine.

Oh ho! I never thought of that! :D

BlizzardGR said:
You should watch you're rivals more closely. If you hit the turn button like crazy many things they do will slip away unnoticed. For example, one of your friends or allies may be at war with another race that you don't want to go at war with but it would benefit you if they are destroyed or weakened. So you can supply your ally with weapons and tech to assist them. To be successfull though, you will have to watch their moves closely.There are many other things you can do as well.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Easiest possible (lower than beginner) and AI on fool IIRC.

Thing is I don't have any weapons, any ships or anything to build :) So far people have given me money because I'm so great (in game that is :) ) nothing more, no threats no nothing. We have traded tech as well, I guess I give them good ones for bad ones but I tech tree is gigantic so I don't have any idea of value of techs.

It is still like first 10 turns of Civ. nothing to do. I have 4 planets and stuff building there, but thats it. I have 1 scout and the starting ship flying around but they have already explored everything. I must be the worst player to hit galciv2 :blush:

@Melhisedek: Couple of things...

1.) You will not get many new default ships to build unless you research a lot of techs. The best way to get ships is to design your own. As you research military techs (start with space militarization) you will unlock different options. There is also a hull tech line that will unlock new, and bigger, hull sizes. Then go into the shipyard and stary playing. You will be able to see what types of engines, weapons, defences, etc. that you have available. New techs will give you more options. The standard ships in the game are not all that good really. This will also help you to figure out what you want to research next.

2.) Sounds like you should increase the difficulty level. Right now the AI is not really challenging you and forcing you to learn. Try at least beginner, or if you really want a challenge, go Normal. No better way to learn than getting beat!

Hope this helps...

Easiest possible (lower than beginner) and AI on fool IIRC.

Thing is I don't have any weapons, any ships or anything to build So far people have given me money because I'm so great (in game that is ) nothing more, no threats no nothing. We have traded tech as well, I guess I give them good ones for bad ones but I tech tree is gigantic so I don't have any idea of value of techs.

It is still like first 10 turns of Civ. nothing to do. I have 4 planets and stuff building there, but thats it. I have 1 scout and the starting ship flying around but they have already explored everything. I must be the worst player to hit galciv2

Well, on fool the AI is so stupid you could take over their planets with a single ship :p
Nah, not THAT stupid but you get the idea ;)

It's probably because you're pretty new to the game. Once you've learned a couple of more things you'll have plenty to do. I'm not really the person to ask what you should do so....

Tboy said:
@Kolpo: The campaign is single player, but non-linear, which means that if you win a mission you go along one string of missions, if you lose you go along another.

Oh seems me interesting. Would be intersting to play that on a difficulty level who is slightly too hard so you lose a mission now and then. Though if you lose many missions can you then not end up in a situation where even surviving becomes extremely hard?

I would just like to say that I hate your all.

I had convinced myself that this game wouldn't be very good and that I shouldn't bother buying it, but nooooooo, everyone had to go ranting and raving how good it is. And now somehow Stardock has my credit card number. I can just hear my girlfriend now, "why did you waste your money on another game?" Well, it's her fault actually. She complained that I needed a better social life so I decided to be more active in CFC. :p

SO how do we go about requesting a sub forum? PM a mod? Start a begging type thread? Hope someone important is reading this thread? :)

woodelf said:
SO how do we go about requesting a sub forum? PM a mod? Start a begging type thread? Hope someone important is reading this thread? :)

I agree! Something for general discussion and custom ships and the like.

I could use strategy help, early gameplay tips, ship building 101, ect....

I need everything I guess! ;)

As promised, now that I have access to all of the hulls, I am working up a Navy for the humans. This is a Human Large Hull, and I've been playing with placing hardpoints inside structures to give it that lean, mean look. The the first of hopefully many templates that are dependant only on the hull rather than its equipment to show up in the ship building list. I won't deny that much of my tastes for starships is influenced a bit by Babylon 5, and Wing Commander, just to a degree. In future designs, I will try to work a bit of the new BSG into the look -- if it fits.

This is the front of the base Battleship template. It's got a lot of hardpoints here for all kinds of nasty weapons.

This is the side. It's got a utilitarian feel to it. Slightly naval, but definitely adapted to space.

The back of the ship shows the massive engines necessary to push this thing. You'll notice it also flares out a little here.

And finally a long shot from the bottom up. Human hulls can definitely be long and THIN if done right.

You are kidding me??? Anyone can build ship like that?
Ooooooh today I call in sick ! Blast them ;)

+1 for subforum

Top Bottom