Game of throne-Gate

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Thanks Obama :mad:
Impeachment NOW !

I cant believe that Obama is getting advanced copy of Game of Thrones

Outrage! President Obama got advance copies of the new season of ‘Game of Thrones.’

During HBO’s Facebook Live stream from the event’s red carpet, interviewer Veronica Belmont asked the Emmy-winning team if they had any “Aha … we’ve totally made it” moments coming into season 6.

“I think, for both of us, finding out the president wanted advance copies of the episodes was an ‘aha’ moment,” [Dan] Weiss said. “That was a very strange moment.”

And did they say yes?

“Yes,” Weiss replied. “He’s the leader of the free world.”

[David] Benioff added: “When the commander-in-chief says, ‘I want to see advance episodes,’ what are you gonna do?”

I didn't complain — okay, I did — when Obama played pickup hoops at the White House and didn't invite me. And, okay, fine that he got to sit front row for Trombone Shorty at the White House.

As the EW story notes, the Season 6 episodes are being held incredibly tightly by HBO — they have even refused to send out the usual screeners to critics in advance of the premiere. The reason it's all so closely guarded is because, for the first time in the history of the series, the TV show is running ahead of the books by George R.R. Martin on which it is based. We are all — ALL OF US — preparing to walk out on the tightrope with no safety net. All of us, that is, except President Obama.

For all I know, Obama is sitting in his White House movie room finding out ALL THE SECRETS of Season 6 right now. (The White House offered no comment when I asked if I could have all of the screeners. Oh, and also for a comment.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...re-top-stories_fix-thrones955p:homepage/story

Cool, maybe he leaks it on the net.

And isn't this whole -gate thing a bit old ? We should cal it Throneghazi.

What a fiasco!

This is literally Afghanistan all over again.

When does POTUS find the time to binge on new tv shows, anyways?

On rainy fridays when he comes back from the mosque and the weather doesn't permit him to play golf.

Well, what did you expect? He ran for president by being a seducer, you can't tell me that you didn't know such a person would abuse their power in such a horrible way.

Be thankful that he only wants advanced copies, not to make presidential changes in the script. :shake:

George Washington: Let's make this nation a republic, where leaders serve the people and won't receive privileges and reverence from the populace
Weiss and Benioff: He’s the leader of the free world. - When the commander-in-chief says, ‘I want to see advance episodes,’ what are you gonna do?

Cute, but I thought that moniker died not too long after the cold war.

Nah, it lasted a bit longer. Under Clinton the US still had very much a leadership position in "the free world". It was only during the Bush administration that the phrase became completely hollow. Americans will probably still use the title for a couple more centuries.

This is a non-story. Terminally ill people get advance copies too if they go public with the request. It's not like the president ruthlessly ripped an early copy of GoT from the grubby hands of the innocent producers.

GoodSarmatian said:
Nah, it lasted a bit longer. Under Clinton the US still had very much a leadership position in "the free world". It was only during the Bush administration that the phrase became completely hollow. Americans will probably still use the title for a couple more centuries.

Does anyone really believe it had validity under the Cold War either? I mean, the gringo territories of North America, Western Europe, and Australia and a few other places could reasonably be described as "free." But for the rest of the world what difference did it make whether they were being killed by Leninists supported by the USSR or fascists supported by the USA?

Growing up in communist Poland, I can tell you that most of Polish citizens viewed the U.S. as the land of the free, a paradise, etc. At least based on what I was seeing around me and what my parents were telling me. You couldn't say this stuff in public, but it was "in the air". When the pope came to visit, hundreds of thousands arrived to meet him, in my hometown, and as he promised us "Freedom", everyone cheered. The intensity in the crowd was electric, I didn't really understand much of it at the time, I was too young, but there was so much emotion in that crowd.. Then he went off to meet with Reagan. So yeah, the Americans were definitely viewed as "the amazingly awesomely and super free good guys"

But yeah, a lot has changed since then. Actions speak louder than words, and it's pretty clear that the American president is nowhere near anything resembling a position that you could call "Leader of the free world". It was a highly symbolic position during the cold war, and it made sense then, as the U.S. was leading the west against the Soviet Union & her allies. It was the "free world" vs the communist world, and so the label made sense.

But now? There is no such thing as "the free world" anymore. There are democracies, there are dictatorships, and there is everything in between. There are lots of greys. There is no enemy to unify "the free world" around. On top of all that the U.S. has shown that "freedom" is only really important to them when it aligns with her own self-interests. Which is fair, you would expect any country to look after its own interests.

Anyway, this is turning into an essay. In the end none of the terms really apply anymore and the Americans have lost the moral justification for claiming to lead "the free world". Maybe if Obama started calling himself the "Leader of the corporate world" that would make a bit more sense, but it wouldn't be too accurate either.

Just wait till Trump takes the Presidency if you want to see it not free.

(Obama has been in office a while. Why has he waited this long to make it not free?)

Under President Obama, very soon it won't be free any more.

Hey, we're still free after 7 years of Obama? How does that work exactly? I'd think if he was going to make us not free it would have happened earlier in his presidency (maybe the second time he got elected?)

George Washington: Let's make this nation a republic, where leaders serve the people and won't receive privileges and reverence from the populace
Weiss and Benioff: He’s the leader of the free world. - When the commander-in-chief says, ‘I want to see advance episodes,’ what are you gonna do?

That does not sound like Washington at all. He may have refused the title king, but still wanted to be called "Your Excellency." He retired not because he wanted to set a precedent but because his health was poor enough that he was afraid that other turn would ruin his legacy and make him famed for senility rather than his highly overrated competence. He was very much an elitist. He was the largest land owner in the country, and quite possibly in the whole world. He definitely wanted the government to help him collect his rents. He also invested heavily in industrial level whiskey distilleries, and wanted the government to enforce regulations and collect taxes that would crush him competition. He did not think that the title "Mr President: was grand enough, but asked to be addressed as

If the Prez has access to season 6,I guess i will have grab my free month of HBO so i can watch them too.

So dose this mean, Zombie Jon snow or is the director of Game of Thrones going to flee to China and then Russia to escape being sent to Gitmo ?

Three weeks ago, I was the in the company of the President of the United States...He turned to me, put his hand on my shoulder, and said, ‘You didn’t kill Jon Snow did you?’

I said, ‘Jon Snow is deader than dead'...I thought I was going to be sent to Guantanamo or something, but fortunately I’m here — but he’s dead.

The President is apparently also upset that his favorite characters keep dying, so that’s something we all have in common with the President of the United States. This is hardly the first time that Thrones has upset viewers by killing off a much loved character. It’s pretty much Standard Operating Procedure for the series. Mr. Obama told Nutter that the Red Wedding episode has been his favorite, an odd choice for somebody who doesn’t like to see characters die. Maybe he didn’t like Rob Stark. Still, it says something when the one thing the President asks David Nutter is the same thing you would have asked if you were talking to him at the bar.

Also

This could hurt Obama politically now that Paul Ryan controls the Red Keep.

Top Bottom