GameInformer article

Why not just give it the traditional Great Library effect (the Internet from Civ4) and give you access to every tech owned by 2 civs? Sure it's powerful, but it won't allow you to advance, only maintain the status quo. If that's too powerful, make it techs owned by half the civs.

Because it comes so late in the game that by the time you can build it, if two other nations are equally far ahead of you to give you any technology the game is already pretty much over.

I like the idea of having it grant view through fog of war. You should be able to click an area once every X turns and it grants a 20 hex view for X amount of turns.

What? It's not a spy satellite. Using the Hubble to spy on other countries would be a waste of its phenominal capabilities.

I understand, but like someone else said, it could just be the breakthrough to the technology that allows this.

I understand, but like someone else said, it could just be the breakthrough to the technology that allows this.

I think the opposite is true, actually. Spy satellites predate the Hubble. I would imagine that the technology developed to make and launch spy satellites contributed to the capability to afford, make, and launch the Hubble.

Perhaps make it give a free observatory in every city you own? Would be a very considerable science boost, even for the late game (even more so if GS get rightly nerfed)

I think the opposite is true, actually. Spy satellites predate the Hubble. I would imagine that the technology developed to make and launch spy satellites contributed to the capability to afford, make, and launch the Hubble.

That is true.

What? It's not a spy satellite. Using the Hubble to spy on other countries would be a waste of its phenominal capabilities.

I agree...the thing takes picture of space, not the earth. How do you fit in something that tries to get photos of black holes and new star systems etc etc, to fit into CiV?

One suggestion is to interest people, helping them to realize the awe and inspiration of astronomy. People are fascinated by the night sky, the stars, the unknown mysteries of space. This boils down to additional happiness, which can promote growth in cities, which in turn can provide more production towards building spaceship parts.

HST is not designed to be a spy satellite, it is a research satellite. Finding space phenomeon is it's mission, to see what no man has seen before.

One of the possibilities, a small one, is that they are bringing back the travel time to Alpha Centari. The HST's effect could reduce the travel time. It doesn't seem very likely to me, though. IMO, it either produces happiness or gold from science at an exchange rate of 1:5 or 1:10 or it increases the effectiveness of observatories (but not giving every city an observatory, because observatories require mountains).

One of the possibilities, a small one, is that they are bringing back the travel time to Alpha Centari. The HST's effect could reduce the travel time. It doesn't seem very likely to me, though. IMO, it either produces happiness or gold from science at an exchange rate of 1:5 or 1:10 or it increases the effectiveness of observatories (but not giving every city an observatory, because observatories require mountains).

I was thinking that too. It would certainly fit the purpose of the HST. The benefits of it should be similar what you describe. Hopefully soon there is another interview with some new info on questions that need answering.

My guess: Something along the lines of:

HST (unlocked at satellites):
3 free technologies, grants Apollo program.

The bonus isn't meant to represent RL HST (it has no connection whatsoever with the Apollo program, as far as I know), but rather the only logical bonus for a scientific victory so late in the game.

If GSs aren't nerfed, 2 free Great Scientists probably would be a better choice than 3 free technologies.

I was playing the Conquest of the Americas scenario, which has a Privateer unit. It's just a variant of the Frigate model, with some pirate flags and a black spanker sail (the fore-and-aft sail on the mizzen mast).

This reminded me of the sailing ships seen in the Gameinformer screenshot. It also appears to be very similar to the Frigate, except it also appears to have a black spanker sail, in addition to black bowsprit sails. And I had noticed before that the icon doesn't look at all like the Frigate icon, but does look like it might be the same skull-and-bones icon used for the Privateer in the DLC scenario. There is even what looks like a flag on top of the mizzen mast, which is on the scenario Privateer but not on the Frigate.

Here's the Frigate for comparison:

I was playing the Conquest of the Americas scenario, which has a Privateer unit. It's just a variant of the Frigate model, with some pirate flags and a black spanker sail (the fore-and-aft sail on the mizzen mast).

What is interesting about that screenshot is that it shows more than one privateer together. I wonder if they operate in squadrons? Many privateer captains had more than one ship under their command. Perhaps you gain more ships with unit experience, making them more deadly and terrifying.

I have that magazine. I cannot tell if the ships are in seperate tiles though.

Also, I would love to see the sea beggar ship.

I hope privateers are not just a frigate variant. They should have their own design. Although, pirates such as Edward Teach did command an upgunned modified frigate, which had 40 guns. If I am not mistaken privateers were a smaller version of a frigate in Civ 4. If I was to compare the two, a civ 4 privateer unit would be equal to a sixth rate 20-24-28 gun frigate. The frigate unit would be equal to a fifth rate 32 gunner, or similar single deck vessel. Then they also had a two decker sotl. All units were of different designs, so I hope the same goes for CiV.

That image looks to me as though they're in seperate tiles

That is possible, but it is an awful photo for this day and age. Especially, for gameinformer who always use crisp, clean, clear photos. Then to have Gods and Kings written up with one page in the back of the mag is just ridiculous. CiV is twice as popular as most of the games they have previewed and reviewed. At least they could have blown up their screenshots and cleared them up. Because of the way they handled it, I think they lost one extra subscriber. I've paid for that mag for like three years. From now on that will be a rumor.

The ship looks stouter than a Frigate. I'd also agree that the one behind it is a different unit.

Top Bottom