[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Back from my doctor's appointment and lunch with my ex.

Sounds to me like the other way around would be the safer option.

2017 was the 100th anniversary of Finnish independence, so adding a Finnish civ to the game would have been perfect tribute. They added a WW1 themed scenario to the game, so adding Finland would have nicely complimented that. They have Sweden and Russia in the game now, so why not Finland?

If Finland gets added to the game they'd better have a metal-related ability.

They fix the AI yet? Diplomacy still a joke? War monger penalties still a thing? I'll pass.

Unknown, reworked, reworked. You might want to pick this one up.

I think with floods being a thing now, The Netherlands took a bit of a hit. They get adjacency bonuses from rivers but floods can damage districts.

Sounds historical to me.

To be fair the Netherlands are pretty strong.

I think with floods being a thing now, The Netherlands took a bit of a hit. They get adjacency bonuses from rivers but floods can damage districts. I wouldn't mind a farm or mine being damaged since they can be repaired immediately but I assume a district would take some turns to repair.

Matter of fact I reckon not only would the district itself take damage, but the buildings within them. If 3 districts get damaged by a flood, that is a pretty big hit.
Dams are available from the end of the classical era on as per Ed. If you have a dam, floods have only positive effects. So I don't think that really hinders the Netherlands that much.

I’m interested to know how firaxis is going to name the mountain ranges in the Netherlands. When your scout moves towards it. We have got plenty of rivers but only tiny hills. Not mountains at all.

Hm... Steam classifies Gathering Storm as Windows only. Was that the same for R&F when it was released?

Hm... Steam classifies Gathering Storm as Windows only. Was that the same for R&F when it was released?

Yeah, Aspyr will have to port the game for Mac. If it’s as quick as R&F was, it should be available a couple of months after the Windows version.

Reading through the list of things they are adding or changing, there's some good stuff in there, however I didn't really see much for diplomacy improvements (something sorely needed). It does has World Congress, which involves diplomacy, but I was hoping for other things, as well as reintroducing an improved version of Vassalage, like they had in Civ IV. I'm wondering how much of an improvement for diplomacy we are getting. Also, no mention of any improvements to Barbarians ~ although we do have some art changes, meaning they could have changed other things about the Barbarians too...here's hoping! Improving on the Barbarians is by far my most wanted feature. I want Barbarians to be interesting, and feel like they are people too, rather than mindless attack bots that are programmed to destroy (that is literally what they are and have been for the entire game series).

The four features I most wanted to see in this game may not even be included, or at least not the way I wanted or nearly as much as I feel is needed: 1) Improved Barbarians, 2) Improved Diplomacy, 3) Vassalage, and 4) a Polynesian civ that focuses on early ocean crossing and tiny island colonization ~ From the trailer, I have hopes that the Maori civ gets to have those abilities, but I didn't expect that from a Maori civ, and I'm still sure they will have a heavy military focus. Perhaps I will at least get a Polynesian civ that I am happy with, but that still leaves a lot out.
I'll wait to hear more, but it does look like I'm not getting most of the things that I really wanted for this xpac, and have been advocating for years to get. Did I waste my time and energy advocating for these things? I will feel that way if they haven't done any of these things. I understand if they decide against certain features, as it is their game after all, but it would sure be nice for just a couple of them being included, or even just one.
Whatever the case, the xpac will be a particularly important one for me personally.

*Link for list: https://civilization.com/news/entri...w-expansion-release-date-pc-february-14-2019/

Moderator Action: Not a screenshot-related post. Moved to GS discussion thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Victoria are you excited?
All I was waiting around for.
Pax now a red rag to a bull, 1 city per continent settled, and another bloody ship, last thing Vicky wants is another useless ship!... Cochrane will be rolling in his grave. They swapped a very British museum for a couple of production and some likely highly unexciting engineer stuff.

Lots of toys to sell copies,
will they have fixed all the rubbish? Will Shaka’s fleets get +5 while mine loose movement on upgrade?
Same old Money wagon to me.

I will not be investing, uninstalling today.

Last edited:
All I was waiting around for.
Pax now a red rag and they swapped a very British museum for a couple of production and some likely highly unexciting engineer stuff. I will not be investing, uninstalling today.

I'm sure everyone would be sorry to see you go. I wonder whether the military engineer being emphasised for England suggest they are going to play a bigger role. Perhaps some of the new improvements - tunnels, dams, canals, even railroads - will be dependent on military engineers rather than workers. If so, an 80% discount would be pretty useful.

I have only one comment regarding this. If the AI won't be good enough, I won't buy it.

Dams are available from the end of the classical era on as per Ed. If you have a dam, floods have only positive effects. So I don't think that really hinders the Netherlands that much.

They should really be available from Industrial Era on, unlocking in Medieval if you're the Netherlands. :)

I’m interested to know how firaxis is going to name the mountain ranges in the Netherlands. When your scout moves towards it. We have got plenty of rivers but only tiny hills. Not mountains at all.

I'll have you know the Vaalserberg is over 300 meters above sea level!

just saw the trailer for the first time and read about the news. i think i'll pass on this one.
some of the new stuff sounds good, but a weather system is kinda silly in a game where each turn is at least 1 year (or up to 20 years or something in the early game).

the future era is a no-go for me. if they want the game to have the message that climate change is dangerous, they should NOT water it down by presenting some magic future tech solutions to the problem.

it's an unsolved problem and very likely an unsolvable problem. presenting it as anything else just undermines the message and turns the game into some naive "technology of the future will solve every problem" propaganda nonsense

just saw the trailer for the first time and read about the news. i think i'll pass on this one.
some of the new stuff sounds good, but a weather system is kinda silly in a game where each turn is at least 1 year (or up to 20 years or something in the early game).

the future era is a no-go for me. if they want the game to have the message that climate change is dangerous, they should NOT water it down by presenting some magic future tech solutions to the problem.

it's an unsolved problem and very likely an unsolvable problem. presenting it as anything else just undermines the message and turns the game into some naive "technology of the future will solve every problem" propaganda nonsense
I think you're reading too much into it. Also: It's a game.

Bit early for people to throw up their arms and declare the sky is falling, we have only seen a tiny portion of the new mechanics. Maybe wait til all the first looks are done until you start complaining about AI, civ reworks and mechanics.

They should really be available from Industrial Era on, unlocking in Medieval if you're the Netherlands. :)
I actually think classical era is a good idea, historically.
I wonder about canals in that regard as well - will they be late game (industrial and onwards) only?

The same way it worked in Civ IV, randomly. Hell they increase the chances near mountain ranges, or near certain types of coasts.

Top Bottom