[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

Note that this is built next to a dam, it is too detailed to be just an improvement. My guess is that it is a bath wonder that needs to be built next to a dam and grant housing bonus. It is probably an Indian or Persian wonder that no longer exists.
We're kicking in the dark, we'll only know when it's officially revealed as Kilwa Kisiwani.

I was almost leaning towards Ashoka's Hell, but that would be a disturbing wonder.

Disturbing and most likely unreal. Ashoka's Hell is largely believed to be a invention of the Buddhist chronicles to depict Ashoka as a sadist and cruel psychopath before his adoption of Buddhism.

The very prominent pool of water and fountains make me lean towards the idea of it being some kind of bath or hammam. Guess we will only know for sure with one of the wonder reveal videos.

Here's another guess at the mystery wonder - Nalanda Mahavihara.

Can someone confirm/deny? If you have your stuff at highest resolution/settings graphic wise, does the map have cloud shadows? I noticed these shadows traversing along the map during the livestream and I have never seen that before but I also don't know if it's a feature of high graphic settings already.

Question: Could he be a leader for the Bulgarian, or his he a "pope"?
Judging by his clothing and the fact that he dies some 15 seconds after appearing, I'd say he's just a nameless bishop, who guides us through the scene of the earthquake destroying the city.

Also just a reminder that the opening cinematic is not always a good barometer as to what will be in the final game

This is why I ask:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Bulgarian_war_of_913–927
"The first steps of the regency were to attempt to divert Simeon I's attack. Nicholas Mystikos sent a letter which, while praising the wisdom of Simeon, accused him of attacking an "orphan child" (i.e., Constantine VII) who had done nothing to insult him, but his efforts were in vain.[21][25] Toward the end of July 913 the Bulgarian monarch launched a campaign at the head of a large army, and in August he reached Constantinople unopposed. The head of the Byzantine chancery, Theodore Daphnopates, wrote about the campaign fifteen years later: "There was an earthquake, felt even by those who lived beyond the Pillars of Hercules."[26] The Bulgarians besieged the city and constructed ditches from the Golden Horn to the Golden Gate at the Marmara Sea.[27][28] Since Simeon I had studied at the University of Constantinopleand was aware that the city was impregnable to a land attack without maritime support, those actions were a demonstration of power, not an attempt to assault the city. Soon, the siege was lifted and kavhan (first minister) Theodore Sigritsa was sent to offer peace.[29] Simeon I had two demands – to be crowned Emperor of the Bulgarians and to betroth his daughter to Constantine VII, thus becoming father-in-law and guardian of the infant emperor.[29][30][31]"

I think we can agree that the ski resort is neither unique nor a wonder, because it is built by America in the screenshot (signified by the film studio building in the theatre square) and you can spot out an extra ski resort in the upper right corner of the same screenshot

It looks too big to be an improvement, if that isn't a world wonder I'll eat my hat.

LOL. Better have a large quantity of sauce on hand......just in case ;).

Also just a reminder that the opening cinematic is not always a good barometer as to what will be in the final game

Precisely. Imagine my disappointment when I learned there were no plagues in Rise & Fall :(.

Question: Could he be a leader for the Bulgarian, or his he a "pope"?

As a half-Bulgarian, I can attest: Bulgarian priests don't dress up like that. :p

The priest is definitely Catholic, but probably one who lived in Byzantine territory.

Could be a mix of that and Nalanda Gedige. Main building taking from Gedige (see below), the towers and water basin from Mahavihara.

Spoiler :
That roof, at least, is remarkably close to that of the mystery wonder (even more evident on side pics). Could the answer be that someone at Firaxis accidentally (or even deliberately) mixed up elements from two different structures with the name Nalanda and made that into a wonder? :lol:

But the R&F trailer did, on careful inspection, reveal Georgia. Not everything in the trailer will be in the game, but it may reveal things not officially announced yet.
It also revealed Seondeok right off the bat.

Top Bottom