[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

Wow, is this an old wonder that I am not remembering? How come no one noticed this before! Was Fireaxis successful in hiding it in plain sight? It looks like something in Italy.
Bolshoi Ballet.

Here's another guess at the mystery wonder - Nalanda Mahavihara.

That roof, at least, is remarkably close to that of the mystery wonder (even more evident on side pics). Could the answer be that someone at Firaxis accidentally (or even deliberately) mixed up elements from two different structures with the name Nalanda and made that into a wonder? :lol:

While the roof has some similarities, nothing else about the design of the wonder indicates a university or a library. Also, a potential Nalanda wonder would more likely be built next to a campus or a holy site rather than a river or a dam.

The Dutch resistance in World War II was also briefly teased in the R&F trailer, foreshadowing Netherlands led by Wilhelmina.

The trailers have proven to be both a source of clues and misdirection.

Indeed while it suggests, you can't do deeper analysis as you can from a screenshot

Rise and Falls' cinematic hinted at Korea, Mongolia, Georgia and Netherlands. The Gathering Storm cinematic hints at the Maori and Inca. Nor sure if any more Civs are hinted which is kinda disappointing...

Can someone confirm/deny? If you have your stuff at highest resolution/settings graphic wise, does the map have cloud shadows? I noticed these shadows traversing along the map during the livestream and I have never seen that before but I also don't know if it's a feature of high graphic settings already.
Haven't seen anything like that, even in the DX12 mode.

The architecture of "mysterious temple" doesn't look like it's from Gupta dynasty, so I don't think it's Nalanda. I think Nalanda definitely deserves to be its own wonder, just not this time around (too close to Mohabodhi both geographically and historically).

Speaking of hints aside from possible Byzantine or catholic based civ, there were what appeared to be conquistadors chopping down vegetation in trailer. It may just be a tie in to colonization to exploitation of nature, but it made wonder if it might hint at another civ, if the leak were false. I might be reading into it too much but I wonder if it might be Portugal. If so, I kind of worry that it would signal this expansion is the last of this iteration. Portugal seems to end up being released in the last expansion of each game.

I just took it as showing man bending nature to his will as that's what the narrator is saying at the time.

As a half-Bulgarian, I can attest: Bulgarian priests don't dress up like that. :p

The priest is definitely Catholic, but probably one who lived in Byzantine territory.

Don't forget that in those times (before... 1054 I believe) Catholicism and Orthodoxy hadn't split yet, though that split was of course also a gradual thing.

Don't forget that in those times (before... 1054 I believe) Catholicism and Orthodoxy hadn't split yet, though that split was of course also a gradual thing.
Don't forget that pre-11th century mitres looked quite differently. Not that I expect historical accuracy in the trailer anyway. Just look at the Pompei section, as if the people would have been surprised by the pyroclastic wave on a sunny day without any prior warning...

Don't forget that pre-11th century mitres looked quite differently. Not that I expect historical accuracy in the trailer anyway. Just look at the Pompei section, as if the people would have been surprised by the pyroclastic wave on a sunny day without any prior warning...

True, that looked absolutely nothing like the actual eruption.

Disturbing and most likely unreal. Ashoka's Hell is largely believed to be a invention of the Buddhist chronicles to depict Ashoka as a sadist and cruel psychopath before his adoption of Buddhism.

The very prominent pool of water and fountains make me lean towards the idea of it being some kind of bath or hammam. Guess we will only know for sure with one of the wonder reveal videos.

Maybe Hasankeyf? It is a heritage site threatened by a dam nearby and some of the features look similar but the domes don't quite.

Maybe Hasankeyf? It is a heritage site threatened by a dam nearby and some of the features look similar but the domes don't quite.
Yes, Hasankeyf does look like another contender for the identity of our mystery domed wonder.

Spoiler :

Hasankayf.jpg

On an unrelated note, may I know the story behind your signature?

By the way, I was looking at the cover art and noticed there's a fairly prominent cruise ship behind the Golden Gate Bridge. Could this be a new unit?

upload_2018-11-23_9-30-37.png

Top Bottom