1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

A unit that you can build to get other civs more tourists, so they can win a CulV more easily.

Zaarin likes this.
  2. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

That would be a lot of fun, but I'm not counting on it.

I have also been wondering about that clip. I'd love if some of our sleuths could more decisively identify the men. Spain? Portugal? Gran Colombia? Other?

I don't think it's merely depicting bending nature to their will. But even with a more precise identification, we can't assume anything. They could be representing a civ in GS (consider the glimpse of Georgia in the R&F trailer). Or one in a future xpac or smaller DLC (consider the winged hussars in the original trailer). Or something we'll never see.

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I suggested a Cruise Ship civilian naval unit a while back to help with tourists. I'm sort of excited. Hopefully they will come.
    At the same time I also suggested Passenger Trains as well which would be a railroad equivalent of a Cruise Ship.

Jkchart likes this.
  4. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

So how would a cruise ship unit work? What are the mechanics/benifits to such a unit in the context of Civ 6? (aside from just being Tourism related). Do you need to set up Cruises like Trade Routes?

I really don't see a need for this as a Unit. Especially with the existing military unit gaps, unique units and filling out a new era of units they need to provide in GS.

Stilgar08 and Siptah like this.
  5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

About the covert art, maybe this has been discussed before, but do you think we'll get maglev as an upgrade of railroad ?

(at the bottom, going through a tunnel, or is that a modern city metro ?)
    Spoiler :
    Clipboard-1.jpg

Xefjord, Inawordyes, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  6. Alexander's Hetaroi

I suggested setting it up like a trade route and it might even have its own separate layer from other naval units. You can gain tourism by going by seaside resorts, reefs, coastal natural wonders, coastal manmade wonders etc.
    I don't see it as anything else than a tourism mechanic along with a separate type of passenger train, that would gain more tourism based off of the routes (going by natural wonders, national parks, through mountain tunnels etc.).
    It has even more possibilities now with the new Canals and sea district. It could even be a risk factor sending these into the water and a hurricane pops up.

7. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Would make sense to have maglev trains in the later eras.

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Could these hills that appear in the left be the Chocolate Hills from Philippines?

sonicmyst, Guandao and Meluhhan like this.
  9. Meluhhan

Meluhhan Warlord

This makes me think that this huge dump of most likely accurate leaked information about the upcoming civs has deprived us of the exciting speculations that were a part of the fun of the buildup to the actual releases of the past DLCs and expansion.

Eagle Pursuit and Kimiimaro like this.
  10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Only if you don't believe that some parts of the "leak" were disinformation; I'll be convinced Eleanor of Aquitaine is really in the game when I see the First Look. ;)

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  11. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

Looks like them, but R&F's art had both Cappadocia and Château Frontenac in it, so whether or not it's actually significant is a mystery.

(Could R&F's art have been hinting at Ottomans and Canada? Is this a hint for Philippines in expansion #3? :crazyeye:)

conorbebe, Zaarin and Kimiimaro like this.
  12. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Clearly it is a reference to Queen Isabella being a second leader for Spain :crazyeye:

13. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

14. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Chocolate hills and the volcanoat the center looks like Mayon.

15. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I took a closer look at the 1080p version of the video, and they appear to be pretty much the same as today's babarian graphics, but with slightly different colors. The slingers might be a bit chunkier, but it's hard to tell.

Actually, the most significant difference that I hadn't noticed before is the style of the unit icon. It has lost the "3D"/bezel appearance and has gained a second color outline.

Inawordyes, bite, Hawke9 and 4 others like this.
  16. Cywil

Cywil Chieftain

That's similar to some (now ruined) Hindu temples of Champa culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:My_Son.jpg

The Mỹ Sơn temple complex is regarded one of the foremost Hindu temple complexes in Southeast Asia and is the foremost heritage site of this nature in Vietnam. It is often compared with other historical temple complexes in Southeast Asia, such as Borobudur of Java in Indonesia, Angkor Wat of Cambodia, Bagan of Myanmar and Ayutthaya of Thailand. As of 1999, Mỹ Sơn has been recognized by UNESCO as a world heritage site. (wikipedia)

Guandao likes this.
  17. Greywulf

Greywulf King

So maybe they haven't really changed the Barbarians at all? That would be disappointing, as Barbarians desperately need to be improved upon, and have needed to from the start. Some kind of significant improvement is overdue.

*For more info on what kinds of improvements are possible for Barbarians, or to discuss or suggest ideas for Barbarians, see this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/barbarians-are-people-too.626206/

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Zaarin likes this.
  18. Rambo919

Rambo919 Warlord

In previous games I used to play with raging barbs to keep other civs in check militarily, especially the warmongering types. Also it led to numorous small military "campaigns". Now though barbs are walkovers unless you leave them alone for a few hundred turns.... apparently they are already "raging" which does not help the situation.

19. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I know this is highly unlikely, but do we think there's any chance that the look of Barbarians change based on the continent they spawn out of? I can't see them making a whole art set for every possible continent, but given how many resources have been thrown at the look of Civ 6, it may be possible that they created 3 or 4 slight variations on Barbarians?

Kjimmet and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Not sure about different continents, but I could see variants depending on the type of terrain or features they spawn in or by as in Barbarians in the tundra would look different from barbarians spawning in the rainforest.
    Barb camps near horses would have different looking units as well as coastal barbs not dependent on the other factors. I also think that ship that we saw in that leak might be a unique barbarian pirate ship.

Kjimmet, Siptah and Trav'ling Canuck like this.