[NFP] Gaul First Look

This is a great civ. those grass hills of Gaul mean this puppy is hard to kill early and races away once swords or horses are got. A dark age horse rush with a general is what I got first game, nasty stuff, the extra plusses just make it so. Nearly musket strength.

This is a great civ. those grass hills of Gaul mean this puppy is hard to kill early and races away once swords or horses are got. A dark age horse rush with a general is what I got first game, nasty stuff, the extra plusses just make it so. Nearly musket strength.

Don't cavalry units not get the Eburones bonus? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by extra plusses?

You lose an incredible campus though by settling the Gypsum. It's also off freshwater.
Not really, since you can't place districts on luxury (or strategic) resources. ;-)

All I can say is after having tried a couple of starts with Gauls: Do not try to rush your neighbor using the Gaesetae. I repeat: DO NOT try to rush your neighbor using the Gaesetae. They will die just an archer looks at them. It's borderline ridiculous, you pump a lot of resources into them, and two archers will leave them completely helpless. From what I can say, anybody who thought this was going to be a good civ for early domination was thoroughly mistaken.
Worked well in my game, although that was only on King difficulty. I spawned on one end of a wide landmass, with Alexander on the other end, and some city states in between. When Alexander started taking city states, I decided to take him out. I did bring 5-6 Gaesetae as well as a Vampire, and they made pretty short work of his slightly larger army which included Hetairoi and Archers. Again, this is only Kind dificulty, and the AI is still pretty bad at battlefield tactics. I would say the Gaesetae are a force to be reckoned with, though. I can pump them out quickly, they were excellent for swatting barbarians in the beginning, and backed by the King of the Eburones ability and the bonus from Oligarchy (which you will unlock faster by producing units), they made short work of what was at the time a stronger, more technologically advanced enemy.

Well, as a language nerd myself, I can say that the extra effort you guys have made in Civ6 both to make the voice acting more lively and the language more accurate is appreciated (even if I nitpick sometimes). :D (Though when Lizzy does return, I do really hope she gets a proper Elizabethan accent and quotes voluminously from her own speeches and poetry--and if she quotes some Shakespeare, Ben Jonson, and Edmund Spenser, I won't object...)

Thanks! It's really cool to see the whole team work through this stuff. Don't get me wrong - I'm a nitpicker, too, and appreciate when others pick. There's always a quote or two in leader dialogue that comes from a direct quotation from that leader him/herself -- at least one. Some leaders have multiple (and some, unfortunately, have not had their voices preserved over time). For Ambiorix, we get everything through Caesar's lens, so his "quote" is a paraphrase of what he's said to have said in setting the stage for his trap. Most of the time that "quote" is going to be a direct quote from the leader.

What I mean is that you lose the campus one spot to the south west of the gypsum because Gaul can't place districts next to the city center.
Ah, that makes more sense, then. :) You still can put one to the west next to the two Geothermal Fissures, though, although that would be in range of the volcano.

My biggest revelation so far in 3 games attempted with Gaul is that a shuffle map with random resources is not ideal.

First map I spawned on a bottle neck with Georgia directly above me and Scythia below me. I muddled through and managed to get 3 cities down in between them until I missed my golden age going from classical to medieval and lost my second best city. The highlight of this attempt was watching Basil wipe Greece off the map in turn 79.

Second attempt I spawned in another less than ideal spot and decided after a crash it wasn't worth going back to.

Still working on attempt #3. Terrain is less than ideal (mostly flat) but I'm so far holding my own. Genghis tried to bum rush me but was not doing so well when he missed his golden age going into the classical era and lost his closest city to my border which completely screwed him. Basil is to my south but for some reason seems to be trying to play OCC for some reason.

I finished my first Gaul game today, it ended with a Diplomatic Victory while actually pursuing a Science Victory, but that's not at all unusual. Overall, I think Gaul is a well-designed, mid-powered civ with some really interesting abilities. They remind of the Maya in this respect. Also like the Maya, they are a bit terrain dependent. My favorite thing about them is how quickly they can get good production in their cities, and how effective they are at barbarian control and early warfare. They are also, no doubt, a real tough defensive civ. Again, this reminds me of the Maya, who have their extra combat strength in their home hexagon and their powerful Archer replacemet. What I found most challenging about Gaul, is finding good spots for districts, and getting good adjacencies for anything other than Oppidums.

I started another Gaul game now, and got a ridiculous starting location:
Spoiler :
Gaulstart.jpg

Jungle hills with Gems are good for anybody, but for Gaul, they are amazing. There's even a good Harbour spot there, next to the two Fish, which is going to get the adjacency from the Gem mines as well. And there's a +4 Commercial Hub spot next to that, which I will be able to take full advantage of, because I have joined the Owls of Minerva.

Someone was saying in one of the threads on Gaul that you can't swap tiles between cities that you get in a culture bomb. I seemed to have no problem doing that today.

Gaul just has insane production which makes everything easy to do. Played on highlands map which also helped, but a very fun civ.

I agree, Gaul is kind of fun. I used about 4 UUs to siege and capture a city earlier today.

Top Bottom