1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Gaul First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 22, 2020.

1. criZp

criZp Emperor

seems like the +2 combat bonus from adjacent units count both friendly and enemy units, in the video a unit gets +8 from the trait while being surrounded by 1 own unit, 2 CS units and 1 barbarian unit

679x likes this.
  2. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Makes sense. The true location of Atuatuca was never determined (Tongeren claims ownership, but this claim isn't supported by archaeological records), but the likeliest candidate is Caestert Plateau near the French/Belgian/Dutch border

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...en3.jpg/700px-AlbertkanaalSluisTernaaien3.jpg

You literally cannot get *more* hilly than that in Belgium.

Haig, Caprikel and bite like this.
  3. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Yes, the Gauls will hardly need to spend a single coin on territory acquisition. Mine CBs and also culture from building units?
    So, they're adding a Highlands map, huh?...:)

4. Kibikus

Kibikus Prince

Yep, it effectively means you'll always get a +2 as a minimum when you fight an enemy (in melee range at least).
    If you get just 3 of your units and move them in a triangle, you'll get +6 when you attack a lone enemy.

With some good planning, I think you can consistently get +8 to +10 in most battles.

Meluhhan and 679x like this.
  5. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Same. I am happy we have continental Celts at least
    That's true :D +1 culture to all mines is far more impactful than this bonus culture from training units.

SirMediocrity likes this.
  6. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Hmm... good point actually. guess that part will become dependant on map... another nice thing, and not TOO much RNG, just enough

And OMG the Highlands map :eek: Good catch...

cylenalag likes this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Interesting design. Placing districts will certainly be a new challenge - they're going to end up with some empty city centres, with probably rings of districts around mines. Certainly will make for some fun challenges in designing cities. I like it - will definitely be giving them a shot first when the patch hits.

8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Did the Gaulish do that? I know the Britons did.

SirMediocrity likes this.
  9. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

This seems unintended or poor design. It’s functionally a minimum +2 strength for melee and AC units because they are always next to units they are attacking. And scaling up to +12 which is bonkers.
    I had thought it would be just units you own, which would be a lot cleaner. (Or units you don’t own, if they want a last stand type thing.)

10. cain3456

cain3456 King

Some of you are acting like Gaul can't place any districts next to City Center. From what I've read, that only applies to culture districts. :confused:

Andrew Johnson [FXS] likes this.
  11. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

iirc the Gauls did woad but not very often.

12. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

No, it says "specialty districts", so you can still place aqueducts, canals, dams, neighbourhoods, but none of the others.

13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It's specialty districts:
    Campus
    Holy Site
    Theater Square
    Commercial Hub
    Encampment
    Harbor
    IZ (Oppidium for Gaul)

The only real downside might be a harbor which normally would get adjacency bonuses from a city center.

14. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's specialty districts. You can still do Aqueducts, DQs, GPs, etc. No science, production, culture, gold, etc.

15. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

Lots of space for those wonders that must be built on flat land next to a city center.

16. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

no i don't think so... it's all specialty districts AFAIK

17. Bug Repellent

Bug Repellent Chieftain

When producing units, Gaul cities have a culture output equal to 20% of their production output AND they have an incentive to go high production. With proper policy cards (-50% production towards units) you get 40% of city production into culture. Early on my two scouts will be as good as Rome in culture: I finish both in about 12 turns and they give me: 2*30*0.2 = 12 culture for free. So a monument. Meaning I get policies faster: faster settlers, faster to political philosophy, etc.

8housesofelixir, OzzyKP and Bosque like this.
  18. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Ahh, this is much more my speed than Byzantium. I'm gonna go for a science victory with these guys as soon as they're out.

I wonder if the unique industrial zone will still get boosts from aqueducts, dams, etc? It says specialty districts don't get bonuses from being next to each other, but the "green district" bonus to industrial zones is a different kind of bonus. As a sort of comparison, Korea's Seowon still gets +1 science from being next to the government plaza (but it's cancelled by the -1 for being next to a district; you stay at 4, not go down to 3 like you may expect). One thing is for sure... I won't be making as many harbors with these guys as I usually do...

I also think this is the easiest culture bomb, by far. You're going to get lots of territory. I see the description says "unowned" so maybe the speculation here that it's only neutral tiles (no ability to steal) could be correct, but first looks have had iffy wording before, so let's wait and see.

19. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

If they have a hill starting bias, it will be difficult for them o have flat land :p

Josephias and Bosque like this.
  20. Aurelesk

Aurelesk Prince

Not really, there is a lot of exceptions at this rule.

To make it simple, all tiles improvements supposed to give Culture could give Tourism at flight, equal to Culture (or Faith/Food) from the tiles are:
    • All unique from civilizations: Château, Chemamull, Golf Course, Great Wall, Ice Hockey Ring, Kampung (through Food), Open-Air Museum, Pairidaeza, Rock-Hewn Church (through Faith), Sphinx, and Ziggurat.
    • All unique from city-states : Alcázar, Batey, Colossal Heads (through Faith) and Moai.
    • All unique from Governors: City Park.
    • Somehow*: Plantations** and Pastures.
    That is it. Weird, isn't it? So, except if they change how Culture to Tourism at Flight work, those Mines will not give Tourism, sadly.

*: I guess this is due to the Pantheon that give Culture to Plantation and Pasture. But you do not need the Pantheon for it. For example, a Banana Plantation in rainforest with Chichen Itza will yield Tourism. Or Bull Moose Teddy with a Pasture near a Wood.

**: Some luxury ressources give 1 Culture (like Coffee). That lone Culture isn't going to give Tourism. So a 4 Culture Coffe Plantation will yield only 3 Tourism.

Do you feel my frustration with Bull Moose Teddy when all my territory was covered by Wood/Lumber Mill, with +2 Culture for almost 100% of them, and none of them was generating Tourism at Flight!

But, they could add a new exception with Mine with the update. Not all hopes are lost!

AriaLyric, Starina and xaiviax like this.