1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

I am wondering if it is possible to code a separate category -Pirate - that would be available at the start of a game, assignable to any class of ship.
    This would represent the takeover of a ship by mutiny or other hostile actions, or clandestine government support such as is in the game now.

The reason for this inquiry is because I am sick and tired of not being able to chase away those pesky carousels that continuously surround my land, sometimes over a dozen at one time!

2. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

"Pirate" (Or "Corsair"?) could be a promotion, unlocked at Combat 3 or 4, for example.
    And Privateers would start with it.
    Maybe make it available for all wooden ships, but not for Steam and more modern ones?

Just random ideas.

3. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

I like this idea :)
    Since piracy still exists in our modern time it could be available to all ships.
    But I doubt it is doable with the current xml tags :(

4. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

Privateer starts in the middle of renaissance. by that time my little country has been BOTHERED for 300-400 years already! That's why I asked the question!

5. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

That's why I think a "Pirate" promotion, making that unit have Hidden Nationality and Always Hostile, would help, since you could give it to any ship, not just Privateers.
    Privateers would simply have that promotion for free when built.

6. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Not a bad idea, I think I like it. I think I should work on that with Vokarya, since it's part xml and part dll work. Vokarya, please let me know if you find this idea interesting. :)

Edit: also, I would limit the total number of such units and maybe make them unusable under certain civics only.

7. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

@ Noyyau, Thank you for rewording my suggestion so that other people could understand the idea I was trying to convey.

8. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Warlord

I think removing the specific privateer ship, using the model for something else and having the promotion be available would be the best option.

9. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

To be honest, I'm not so sure that Piracy is a good thing to have as a promotion (I really had to think about it). Hidden Nationality is very powerful as an offensive weapon, not just a defensive, and I worry about too many ships with this promotion. I suppose if you carefully restrict it and make sure that ships can't start with it, then it's probably viable, but then it might not be worth the effort to put it in in the first place.

I think we might be better off with just extending the Privateer to a line of pirate ships starting from the Classical Era onwards.

And yes, Caravels can hang out in rival territory, but I don't think they can do anything without declaring war. "Explore Rival Territory" is just that - explore.

10. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Well, I'm working on it, let's see how difficult it is. As a side bonus, I'm coding a restriction to promotions caused by civics, you never know if it might prove useful on other occasions.
    Anyway I don't worry about too many ships having this promotion: restricting it with civics and making it a level4 promotion should be a reasonable balance. Privateers would stay out of this requirement.

11. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Hidden nationality also has it's downside, making your units enemy of your friends too. Universal targets are safe only inside cities. You can't patrol them inside your borders: your friends with whom you have open borders will hunt down these "barbarian ships"
    It is just as dangerous as useful IMO.

12. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

@ Vokarya, You have not thought this thru as usual. Caravels carry spies!!! that is the reason there are so many around my borders. In my last game I was plagued by spies for a hundred turns, spies from 5 or more civs. they made me change my whole economy, I had to post 50 spies on my land just to finally control them.

13. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Warlord

Make it a great general only promotion. There needs to be more incentives to stick them on naval units anyways.

14. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

That's more of a problem with the Spy than the Caravel, though. If the civs were sharing your continent, you'd still have Spy problems with no Caravels to be seen. Maybe we should increase espionage defense in addition.

15. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

I suppose. If it's that high up then it probably will be a very specialized tool. There are some cases where naval XP gets really high; I've often thought about reining in Naval Academy a little bit.

16. kaltruhe

kaltruhe Warlord

I just noticed that Siam & England (white & red), Korea & Maya (weak green) have very very similar civ color to each other (culture influence tile & city name bar color). I think those colors should be modified in order to distinguish them.

17. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

I changed the AI difficulty in Global Defines but the game did not pick up the change.
    Does any one know what else I would have to change?

18. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Likely another global define has a copy of the same setting and is being loaded later, and overwriting your change. Notepad++ has a great find in all files tool that will let you search all the files in the XML folder for the "STANDARD_HANDICAP", or whatever the setting is called.

19. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

Thanks Afforess.

20. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

Anyone mind explaining what the realistic timescale bug option does?