General discussions

Has there been any thought on having the barbarian states slowly develop into rival civilizations? It would add some realism (I think) and would add a twist to the game.

Any progress in modifying the rate of peasant revolts yet? The mod is otherwise excellent, but the way-too-frequent revolts with way-too-many way-too-powerful revolutionaries really reduces the overall experience for me..

We lowered slave revolt chance from 3% to 2.5% and serfdom revolt from 2% to 1.5%. Now they barelly happen, so you still have to build workers with slavary, but rebels tend to kill them easilly the turn they spawn.

Also theya re weakened. Not its city population/4 instead cypy pop/3. Soyou need city pop 8 to have 2 rebeliants instead of city pop 6.

But were making new rebeliant system, dont know when will it be finished.

Nice to hear! :) Other than that, I'm really loving the mod. So much added depth compared to Walords. :worship:

Spartan117

Make good relationship with your boss, as once we realese new version you will have some absense in job :lol:

Yea hopefully. School and work leaves me with about no time at all. Next release possibly, March 12th is around my 19th birthday (3/25)!!!:D

Wow congratulations on you being part of the realism team. Just keep up the amazing work Houman, Mexico, Hian, Anaztazioch, and I guess the other people who sort of left over time:) :thumbsup:

Just wondering is there a list somewhere of the new features that will likely be added in the new version?

Regards...

Wow congratulations on you being part of the realism team. Just keep up the amazing work Houman, Mexico, Hian, Anaztazioch, and I guess the other people who sort of left over time:) :thumbsup:

You have forgotten our two main 3D, skinner and designer artists: Charly1977 and Walter Hawkwood. A lot of credit also goes to them. The team was never that well balanced and that professional since Feb 2006.

We are now 6 and everyone has done great amount of work:

Houman, Mexico, Hian, Anaztazioch, Charly1977 and Walter Hawkwood

Just wondering is there a list somewhere of the new features that will likely be added in the new version?

We have two surprises....;) Can't tell sorry. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday we can release it.

Regards
Houman

:wow: The vast amount of changes that have been made are incredible and I can't wait for release.I been very busy with work the last two months,haven't posted in awhile.I am glad to see the team is as strong as ever.Great work guys,can't believe there are still some more changes that will be surprises,along with what is listed.Heres to the best mod for CivIV :cheers:

You have forgotten our two main 3D, skinner and designer artists: Charly1977 and Walter Hawkwood. A lot of credit also goes to them. The team was never that well balanced and that professional since Feb 2006.

We are now 6 and everyone has done great amount of work:

Houman, Mexico, Hian, Anaztazioch, Charly1977 and Walter Hawkwood

We have two surprises....;) Can't tell sorry. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday we can release it.

Regards
Houman

hmmm..

Wow lots of units are to be added. :eek:

I am sorry about not mentioning charly and walter.:( Go charly and walter:D

Man, besides the units there are so many new additions and features to be added. National Units:D , new civics, buildings. etc..

Great job!

Has any1 tried to play TR on a tiny/small map? Or Civ4 vanilla at Epic/Marathon speed? Gets boring? Micromanager's paradise? Any thoughts?

I usually play nothing larger than small, I'm starting to wonder if I'm not missing some of the experience. Usually by the middle of the game all is explored.

So here's the second part of the question: how does TR play at the biggest maps with as many opponents as possible? For example, is it at all possible to win the conquest victory (assuming you don't win the domination victory earlier)?

Well, the answers will be of generally philosophical style. :)

1) I don't think that Civ is really made for something less than Large maps. The game has poor scalability, and the bigger the map and number of opponents, the more many features shine. For example, 7 world religions make little sense in a game with less than 7 players, and really start to be cool when there are at least 14 involved. For that sake, as TR is an attempt to enhance the original gameplay, it follows the same pattern. At least for me, more opponents = more fun.

2) The higher is the game speed, the less strategy is involved, and decisions turn from strategic to tactical, eventually turning civ into RISK. Our gamespeed is not for people who like their games fast, that's true. We're more like chess guys, not RISK guys. I understand that it can't appeal to everyone - and maybe (maybe) we will introduce faster gamespeeds later on.

3) Strange as it may seem, I've never won a civ 4 game. I never play to "achieve a win". I just like to watch the things develop and solve the challenges that arise in process. I do like MP, and I mostly play with friends, but, believe me, we've never ever had a PvP war - and that's not a kind of homerule, it's just that we don't really compete. I think playing Civ to win is a kind of sport, and I personally am not a sports kind of guy. But I guess it isn't that harder to win in TR than in vanilla civ (that is, if you don't count better AI - it is generally accepted that it performs one difficulty level higher than default one).

I play Civ4 more to end the game. Not allways as winner, but allways a survivor. Whe im near defeat I wish player could become vassal of AI.
Sometimes i see that i need to quit (saving some time) and sometimes i see that i have lost the war, so im doing as much as i can to leave the war as untouched as possible. Like moving all my army to protect 3 or 4 major cities, where 4 or 5 others are left with draft defenders just to stop AI at borders not near my main cities. I sometimes take time to pillage my own improvements, so AI dont take gold from it. It often end at spot, when i have army and some major cities. And AI ? Conquered cities with unhappiness from draft (dont know if it stays after city will get captured) with low population and no improvements and kick as maintanance. I just rebild my army and make a counter attack, or join other AI in war for some teritory.

I've never won a game either.I never really thought of world domination as a winning strategy myself.Didn't work for any major empires throughout history.I go for a financial/industrial type victory myself,more of a personal goal than a victory condition.Which is why mercenaries are by far my favorite aspect of this mod.There's nothing like being able to hire a few well trained mercs to defend your borders when the enemy comes a knockin'!

I see in the forums that alot of people think mercs unbalance the game,but when I've spent my whole history building gold and shields,the opportunity to buy a profesional army is a saving grace.Bummer that I can't load the mod with mercs anymore.

Mercenaries mod bug:

1) AI dont need money to hire one, and dont need money to pay their salary every turn. Unballancing

2) You could hitre mercenary from higher era (musketmans in medival era, tanks in reinesanse, or swordsman and elephants where stronmgest unit available is axeman)

3) It was way too easy to gain money for setting mercs in market

4) If player would build a city in his starting possition it will be capturable. Every time it is conquered it automaticly switches back to player (maybe if it would be his last city it would work). We had reports that AI starting position city was also uncapturable.

What about Privateers?They were super kool in civ3.I think it's neat that you've brought them back,although I don't really see the point if they can't attack without starting a war.

Strange as it may seem, I've never won a civ 4 game. I never play to "achieve a win". I just like to watch the things develop and solve the challenges that arise in process. I do like MP, and I mostly play with friends, but, believe me, we've never ever had a PvP war - and that's not a kind of homerule, it's just that we don't really compete. I think playing Civ to win is a kind of sport, and I personally am not a sports kind of guy. But I guess it isn't that harder to win in TR than in vanilla civ (that is, if you don't count better AI - it is generally accepted that it performs one difficulty level higher than default one).

I play Civ4 more to end the game. Not allways as winner, but allways a survivor.

Have you guys considerred implementing the "Master Victory Mod" by Sevo? :goodjob:

To quote Sevo:

I wanted a new victory condition based on a few basic premises:
Victory should only be judged at the end of the game (time frame)
It should score civs on multiple different factors that require maximum development of the empire
Along that line, it should rank players who score highly across many measures better than players who score very well in one area at the sacrifice of other aspects of the game.
It should allow for a civ that doesn't warmonger to compete more evenly with civs that do while still leaving military battles a central part of the game.
It should balance a historical and unchangeable component of the score with another component that can rapidly change in the late stages of the game.

The mod was designed to meet these objectives.

Although written for Civ4, Thorn has modified it for Warlords 2.08.

It would be great if it could be used on the World Map, playing say 1000 turns to the end of game or maybe more.

With Blakes AI improvements, the last few games I played were over due to cultural victory (either mine (rushed to beat the AI) or the AIs). This was before I or the AIs had finished researching the later techs. So no chance to build the modern units. Using the Master Victory condition would help overcome that problem (as well as me improving my game play of course). :)

Maybe you could also consider increasing the Culture victory condition from 85,000 to 100,000 or more.

Are the problems with activating open borders with AI in the mod related to the selected difficulty or is it a feature of the latest version of the mod? Previously it was much easier to do this, I understand that it could have been highly exploited for example when playing without trading technologies you always have discounts for researching technologies but many mechanics are associated with trade routes and AI it just does not want to keep open borders for more than 15 turns. It is impossible to receive income from trade routes. Explain please, I'm using the latest version of SVN version.
Realism Invictusis my favorite mod for a historical roleplaying :thumbsup:

Top Bottom