Germany '06 WC Final: ITALY vs. FRANCE

It's hard to pick a winner. Italy has mostly performed strongly, with lapses like the US and Australia matches in between. France played their semi final worse than the two previous games - are they loosing steam, or were they going half-pace? Sunday will tell.

African teams may start a new era of attacking football, once they learn to strike, and this may come in 4 years.

We've been hearing that since Spain '82. Cameroon in 1990 and Senegal in 2002 did well, but that's pretty much it.

It's a shame for football that De Rossi is permitted to play the final. FIFA probably have never thought that Italy would go that far

Im pro-italy! Because well as i have already said i don't want france to get into a "roll" of world cup wining, as my country has alot at stake in a world cup thats taking place next year.

Also i have seen the french victory its time to share it around. Go ITALY!!

Nope!

Koelle said:
It's a shame for football that De Rossi is permitted to play the final. FIFA probably have never thought that Italy would go that far

4 matches is the usual punishment for elbowing . I don't quite see why this case should be different.
But anyway, if Lippi is as smart as I think he is, then De Rossi will be on the bench for the final. Gattuso works better together with Pirlo then De Rossi does. They are teammates at Milan, so they know eachothers moves in and out. And besides, why make (defensive midfield) changes to the team that beat Germany and Ukraine without conceding a goal?

Rhye said:
4 turns aren't enough?
Oh right, I forgot he's italian

Relax. :) I will immediately agree that people are being harsh on Italian football, which is silly considering they're probably playing their most offensive football ever, but there is no need to get bitter over it.

That said, I'll be cheering for France on sunday. I'd like to see Zidane go out on top! :)

I hope France wins, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Italy wins it for the fourth time. Both teams performed very well on all important matches. Gran finale will be thrilling!

I'm all for Italy, as they are the only one of the three teams that deserved to win (the others were Argentina and Germany) left in the competition. Too bad the tournament schedule was so unbalanced.

Really, Domenech winning the World Cup would yet again be proof that performance and ability mean nothing in life. ;)

Hitro. Do you have really to remind you that France had beaten both Brazil and Spain ? And that it did so fair and square ?

Italy also had a game where it went through thanks to a penalty. That was against Australia and the penalty had been granted at the 93rd minute. Saying that France don't deserve anything simply in judging by the game against Portugal is particularly lame.

To reach the final, France had to beat Spain, Brazil and Portugal. To do the same Italy had to beat Australia, Ukraine and Germany. Now I do consider that Italy is a very solid team which is undoubtedly the favourite for the final, but saying that the tournament schedule was unbalanced is hypocritical. Now please don't say that that Spain and Brazil were poor teams and prove it in losing against France. Try to think that France playing well has maybe something to do with this.

If it was so unabalanced, it's probably because France has beaten all the big names.

I think France have played crap in the whole group stages plus the whole qualification.

Then they were lucky to get through with their defensive tactic against Spain thanks to that infamous set piece goal and then beat a totally weak Brazilian side through a set piece goal. I think Spain were the only halfway decent opponent they have had.

In short : Spain, Brazil and Portugal sucked, whereas Australia, Ukraine and Germany were a real challenge. France were very lucky to win those matches, thanks to set pieces, while Italy clearly deserved their wins, with no set piece goal.

Hitro, I can tell you : on Sunday night, France will be the undeserved winner of a very sucky world cup. :lol:

kryszcztov said:
while Italy clearly deserved their wins, with no set piece goal.

Vs. Ghana: Pirlo's opener was born from a corner kick
Vs. USA: set piece
Vs. Australia: gift pk

Anyways, set pieces are part of the game, I don't know why people diminish those kind of goals..

France had two great games against Spain and Brasil where they really impressed me with their tactical abilities. Portugal was rather disappointing (if you look at their performance over the whole tournament, they probably were the weakest team in the semis) and the French team did not do more than it had to. Italy otoh has won what I'd consider the best game of the tournament. Given they had one more day to rest, the extra time in their last game should not be a disadvantage, so I'd slightly favour them to win the final. Will be cheering for France anyways. :)

Italy was surely one of the only teams that did more than the minimum to win. They did not sit back after a 1:0.
And don't mention the Australian game since they were reduced to 10 men by a referee mistake and obviously had to squeeze out a win. How everyone can say they did not deserve the win is puzzling me. IIRC Australia didn't really convince in that game even with 1 man extra.

Anyway, France has played well in 2 games and done what was needed (which is the essence of this world cup unfortunately). I think France has done well despite their coach (who has a irritating smile by the way). With Ribbery/Zidane they have found what it took to get to the finals, quite an achievement.

Still, Italy will win this and once the French conceded a goal, they will be torn apart, I predict

If the Italy vs Australia game went to extra time, Aus would've had fresher players, and probably would've scored. The red wasnt deserved either.

But since this thread is about Italy vs France, GO FRANCE! Win it for Australia. ;)

azzaman333 said:
If the Italy vs Australia game went to extra time, Aus would've had fresher players, and probably would've scored. The red wasnt deserved either.

But since this thread is about Italy vs France, GO FRANCE! Win it for Australia. ;)
My thought exactly. Had Italy won without the ref, then I would be less resentful to the Italians, plus I also tipped them not to get past the group stage, which is the biggest blunder ever. :cry:

Germans tend to be a bit more for France slightly because they prefere France with 2 stars than Italy with 4. :)
The Deutschland Unter Alles Syndrom ;)

It's not our fault you guys were not able to score with one man advantage throughout the whole second half.. you didn't score, you got punished, that's how it works in football.

Top Bottom