Germany '06 WC Final: ITALY vs. FRANCE

Inter4 said:
It's not our fault you guys were not able to score with one man advantage throughout the whole second half.. you didn't score, you got punished, that's how it works in football.

Only reason you scored was because the ref felt guilty for the soft red card.

The ref GAVE Austrailia several set pieces with which to score while being a man up, and they didn't produce. He GAVE Italy one, and they produced. Karma. Although, I'm still pissed about the offsides call at the end of Portugal/France. It should have gone to e.t.

Dell19 said:
Spain have a reputation to live up to. :p

:lol: unfortunately, that's true. My three other fav teams in this WC were the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal, mainly because these are teams that highly deserve a WC trophy, yet strangely always underperform in the WC... (not so true of the NL, but that was back in the late '70s... Aaaaaah, Cruyff :) )

World Cup Finals in History

• Uruguay 1930 - Uruguay vs Argentina : 4 - 2
  • Italy 1934 - Italy vs Czechoslovakia : 2 - 1 (aet)
  • France 1938 - Italy vs Hungary : 4 - 2
  • Brazil 1950 - Uruguay vs Brazil : 2 - 1
  • Switzerland 1954 - West Germany vs Hungary : 3 - 2
  • Sweden 1958 - Brazil vs Sweden : 5 - 2
  • Chile 1962 - Brazil vs Czechoslovakia : 3 - 1
  • England 1966 - England vs West Germany : 4 - 2 (aet)
  • Mexico 1970 - Brazil vs Italy : 4 - 1
  • West Germany 1974 - West Germany vs Netherlands : 2 - 1
  • Argentina 1978 - Argentina vs Netherlands : 3 - 1 (aet)
  • Spain 1982 - Italy vs West Germany : 3 - 1
  • Mexico 1986 - Argentina vs West Germany : 3 - 2
  • Italy 1990 - West Germany vs Argentina : 1 - 0
  • United States 1994 - Brazil vs Italy : 0 - 0 (3-2 on penalties)
  • France 1998 - France vs Brazil : 3 - 0
  • Korea/Japan 2002 - Brazil vs Germany : 2 - 0
  • Germany 2006 - Italy vs France : ? - ?

World Cup Finalists in History

7 appearances
  • Brazil (1950 L, 1958 W, 1962 W, 1970 W, 1994 W, 1998 L, 2002 W)
  • Germany (1954 W, 1966 L, 1974 W, 1982 L, 1986 L, 1990 W, 2002 L)

6 appearances
  • Italy (1934 W, 1938 W, 1970 L, 1982 W, 1994 L, 2006 ??)

4 appearances
  • Argentina (1930 L, 1978 W, 1986 W, 1990 L)

2 appearances
  • Uruguay (1930 W, 1950 W)
  • France (1998 W, 2006 ??)
  • The Netherlands (1974 L, 1978 L)
  • Czechoslovakia (1934 L, 1962 L)
  • Hungary (1938 L, 1954 L)

1 appearance
  • England (1966 W)
  • Sweden (1958 L)

Marla_Singer said:
1 appearance
  • England (1966 W)

*cough* Robbery *cough* phantom goal *cough*

The two teams with the best national anthems are in the final;) .

I haven't been particularly impressed by either team. Both teams have a very strong defence, and a midfield with a lot of individual quality (Zidane, Vieira, Ribéry, Pirlo, Gattuso), and I think it will take just one brilliant moment from one of those midfielders to decide the game. Henry (despite 3 goals), Totti and Toni haven't displayed great form during the tournament, although in Henry's case I blame Domenech's conservative playing style, putting him as a lone striker.

My prediction would be a 1-0 victory for France, goal scored by Zidane.

My prediction goes towards...Italy. Their offense is a lot more spread out (11 goals by 10 players IIRC) and the defense only let up an own goal. To me, France is a tad...dull. Doesn't mean they won't win, but I'll go with the Italians on this one.

I just hope the game doesn't get won on penalty kicks in regulation like that France vs. Portugal game; that's a pretty sad way for a game to end.

France, damnit.

Zidane deserves to kick ass on his way out.

Italy's gonna win. 2-1 over France.

First goal in the beginning of the second half, most probably scored by Pirlo. France equalizes on a goal of Henry during the last minutes of regulat time. Del Piero settles the score again in second overtime on an awesome pass by Zambrotta! Italy wins!!!!!:cheers: :trophy:

Everytime people predict an easy win against France, France turns out to play incredibly. That was already the case at the 1998 World Cup final against Brazil, so as it was the case this year against Spain and Brazil (again). Let's hope it will be the case tomorrow !

ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!!

But nobody's predicting an "easy" win for Italy...

I think though that the Italian team has slightly better chances than France. My initial expectations of the Italian side were rather low. I knew they had decent players and it wasn't hard to remember the lesson they taught the Germans earlier this year but I somehow thought that the developments in their national football league would have negative impacts on the team. It turned out that quite the opposite was true. It looks like that scandal helped to form a real team. France has a great team as well but I think they'll have too much to rely on another great performance by Zidane to win. Maybe he'll be able to play as good as against Brazil...that certainly would be nice. Let's see...

France btw were the only team of my semi-finalists that actually reached the semis.

Top Bottom